Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlphaCentauri
    • By AlphaCentauri 13th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    • 23Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AlphaCentauri
    Process for getting CCTV footage
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    Process for getting CCTV footage 13th Feb 18 at 11:15 AM
    Hi, my vehicle was parked inside a company's car park. I returned to the vehicle to see some damage was done to it. I'm certain the damage happened at the location.

I requested CCTV footage from the company to see who had damaged the vehicle and was told by the company I needed to get a police reference number, which I did and gave it to them.

Now, some time later, I enquired about the progress of their investigation the company said "their policy is that the police needs to acquire the CCTV footage directly from the company."

Does this sound like correct procedure or is this normal in the case of collisions? Thanks.
Page 2
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th Feb 18, 12:24 PM
    • 5,890 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    LeeUK
    The company have to consider the data protection act, they can't just go giving out CCTV footage willy nilly to anyone who asks for it. Hence why they will only supply it to the police.

If they were to give it out to joe public then they would have to blur out anyone in the footage, which would involve a cost.
    • AlphaCentauri
    • By AlphaCentauri 13th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlphaCentauri
    OK, 21 comments and no nearer to an answer to the original question.

I got a police reference number which I gave to the company and they fobbed me off with they'll only deal with the police.

How do I communicate with the police on this issue? I've already sent them a report on the incident.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Feb 18, 12:40 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Comms69
    Subject Access Request + £10
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Feb 18, 12:40 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck

I got a police reference number which I gave to the company and they fobbed me off with they'll only deal with the police.

How do I communicate with the police on this issue? I've already sent them a report on the incident.
    Originally posted by AlphaCentauri
    Your original question was
    Does this sound like correct procedure or is this normal in the case of collisions?
    You have been told it is normal procedure, and why.
    The company have not fobbed you off, they have acted in accordance with their policy and their obligations.
    How do you communicate with the police? That is up to you. Phone or email I would suggest, but better than you have with people on here, that is for sure...
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 13th Feb 18, 12:43 PM
    • 3,668 Posts
    • 4,247 Thanks
    Johno100

You pick up the phone, discuss the matter with them and see where you go from there. But as you were informed in post #9

The police will decide whether it's worth their time and effort pursuing what to them is a trivial matter on (presumably) private land.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    • AlphaCentauri
    • By AlphaCentauri 13th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlphaCentauri
    I had to call a special number with the relevant police force which deals with these incidents.

Strange that no one here seemed to be aware of that given the number of road traffic incidents.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    I had to call a special number with the relevant police force which deals with these incidents.

Strange that no one here seemed to be aware of that given the number of road traffic incidents.
    Not really. Youíve drip-fed what little information you have provided and appear to expect people to possess psychic abilities to fill in the numerous and sizeable gaps. Why is it surprising that you came across the answer before anyone else did?
    • AlphaCentauri
    • By AlphaCentauri 13th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlphaCentauri
    Not really. You!!!8217;ve drip-fed what little information you have provided and appear to expect people to possess psychic abilities to fill in the numerous and sizeable gaps. Why is it surprising that you came across the answer before anyone else did?
    Yes, really! How many millions of incidents are there which have a strict procedure which commenters failed to communicate. All I got was misdirected indignation of loser keyboard warriors.

If only losers like you could direct that energy into something useful rather than attacking Joe Public.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 13th Feb 18, 3:42 PM
    • 3,668 Posts
    • 4,247 Thanks
    Johno100
    Yes, really! How many millions of incidents are there which have a strict procedure which commenters failed to communicate. All I got was misdirected indignation of loser keyboard warriors.

If only losers like you could direct that energy into something useful rather than attacking Joe Public.
    You do realise how badly you are coming across on this thread don't you?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Feb 18, 3:53 PM
    • 10,827 Posts
    • 7,670 Thanks
    neilmcl

You got the correct answer in the very first reply.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck

This is really quite funny now. The usual response from someone who did not like the answer they were given because it did not fit with their opinion.

Drip, drip, drip...
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 13th Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    bigisi
    l rather than attacking Joe Public.
    Who do you think we are other than other "Joe Public"s?
    • ado
    • By ado 13th Feb 18, 4:29 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 2,864 Thanks
    ado
    The police are not going to investigate a minor non injury RTC and certainly won't get the CCTV for you as they don't have the resources. They will suggest that you make a claim with your insurance company and end the matter there.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 13th Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    The police are not going to investigate a minor non injury RTC and certainly won't get the CCTV for you as they don't have the resources. They will suggest that you make a claim with your insurance company and end the matter there.
    Originally posted by ado
    It may not even be a recordable accident, the op isnít very forthcoming on the information front.

Haven't I already answered those questions?

Does it make any difference if the damage is from another vehicle or is criminal from the perspective of requesting the CCTV?

It's the car park of a company...
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 13th Feb 18, 8:58 PM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Hi Alphacentauri and welcome to MSE Motoring

Pay no attention to the nasty people further up the thread, they must have forgotten that we're supposed to be especially nice to new posters. Or something.

So I'll try to give you a comprehensive answer to your questions. If you still claim no-one's answering properly then all you're doing is proving the previous posters right....

I'm the Data Controller for my business and have responsibility for the CCTV footage. How I manage it is up to me - there are no set rules in the Data Protection Act on how you keep data (including CCTV footage) safe.

What it boils down to is that you can only "process" data for the reason it was collected. Those reasons have to be stated in your registration as a data controller. You must also ensure that anyone you pass data to only uses it within your stated purposes.

Say, for example, you record CCTV "for the protection of staff and customers and the prevention and detection of crime" (that's a pretty standard reason) then you can't post the footage of someone driving through your shop front on youtube or sell it to a TV company.

If someone asks for data (including video footage) of themselves then you have to supply it (you can charge £10 for the effort) but you have to redact any information about other people unless they have the express permission of those other people to let you see it.

The problem in your case is that, by definition, you're asking for information about someone else. And it's very unlikely that "someone else" is going to give permission.

Not only that, if they did give you a copy, they have no control over what you do with it. If you decided to upload it to youtube then they're liable just as if they had uploaded it themselves.

They can release it to the Police because the Police have their own data protection registrations and their own data controllers who then take on the responsibility from them.

So, if you want the footage, you'll have to ask the Police to obtain it. You can try that by phone (NOT a 999 call!), email, or going to a Police station in person. Whether or not they'll decide it's a worthwhile use of their time is another matter which no-one here can answer.

If they decide not then you can ask them for their complaints procedure, which they do have to explain to you, and make a formal complaint to try to get their decision changed. Again, how successful that might be is something that no-one here can tell you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,321Posts Today

8,529Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Interesting piece yet they asked me if it was a publicity stunt and I said yes partially, in order to raise awarene? https://t.co/FdKcO1uMLx

• Follow Martin