Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dannypeck96
    • By Dannypeck96 13th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Dannypeck96
    Student flat win
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    Student flat win 13th Feb 18 at 11:10 AM
    First post so please be nice?
    I was looking for a student flat for the second year of my uni. I needed 1) a whole year lease as I donít have anywhere for the summer and 2) my own whole flat as Iíve been massively burned by the ďqualityĒ of my flatmates this year that the university lumped me with. So off hunting I go. Found a lovely little flat above a shop in what we call the student quarter (five minutes walk from the uni), so I sat down with the agent, and started haggling. Iíll admit, I completely winged it because Iím a student, Iíve never haggled before and I didnít even know what to try. So, It bounces back and forth between me and the agent, I say I canít live in this place with a cooker that old, etc.
    What am I getting out of this?
    £10/pw rent reduction, new kitchen (okay the LL was gonna need to do it soon anyway) free unlimited internet (if youíve ever had the ďpleasureĒ of dealing with KCOM youíll know how hard that is) halved agency fee, no deposit (although I do have an almost perfect credit score) oh and a fridge full of beer. Specifically, all dark real ales from Yorkshire (Iím a cheeky !!!!!! apparently when haggling)
    Total saved?
    £75 p/m, £65 on the agency fee, and a fridge full of beer.
    Not bad for a student renting a property with a list price of 480
    So, MSMíers, how did I do for a first time? Can you top it (students or otherwise)
Page 1
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 13th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    • 24,317 Posts
    • 51,374 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    On the down side, you are in Hull.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    It depends on who the landlord is.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 13th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 594 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    All very well with negotiating but I guess time will tell if the promises made are actually fulfilled.

The agent can have as many discussions with you as you want and agree to whatever terms you ask for,but it is the LL who will need to deliver these "promises"
    You winged it but whats to say the agent didn't do a spot of winging themselves.

Expect the agent to backtrack a little as I am sure they would not hold the ability to promise a "new kitchen" without serious discussion with the LL who is the owner of the property.

Don't celebrate until your propositions are fully documented in writing or indeed the promises actually fulfilled.
    Last edited by need an answer; 13-02-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    in S 32 T 32 F 47
    out S 46 T 33 F 40
    2017 -32
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 13th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    Get the promises in writing. Better, part of the contract.

If your new kitchen appears I'll eat my hat.
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 13th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    Yeah have to agree, I think you were talking with monkey rather than the organ grinder...

I don't know what state the kitchen was in so the landlord may have been planning to do the work anyway soon. Ive been known to change a carpet or two on request but generally nothing more than a month or so rent. If the kitchen, cooker etc was ok unless desperate (Got to ask then why) given your demands in the year there would be no profit for the landlord.

I mean good luck, but personally if unreasonable demands like a fully stocked fridge of beer is asked for my answer would be on your bike, but you might have the upper hand if the landlord is desperate, these days though with all the new taxes and landlords leaving the market I find tenants are scrambling for my properties (But then I do make sure the property is in really good condition)
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 13th Feb 18, 12:11 PM
    • 12,183 Posts
    • 17,209 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:11 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:11 PM
    An almost credit score according to whom? Not an institution that lends money or lets property.

Well done on your haggling. I don't know if it's pessimism or experience that makes me think there is something wrong with the property that you have yet to discover such as really shitty, noisy neighbours.

The last place I rented I ended up offering an extra £20 pcm just to secure the tenancy because competition for rental properties was so fierce in that city and at that time. No agency fees for me though because I live in Scotland.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 13th Feb 18, 12:40 PM
    • 3,716 Posts
    • 9,199 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:40 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:40 PM
    If any of that materialises ....I run in my local half marathon
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 13th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    • 12,183 Posts
    • 17,209 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    My bad, I thought you already had the keys to the property and were sitting down enjoying one of your cold Yorkshire ales albeit at too low a temperature.

Don't count your chickens just yet.
    • breaking_free
    • By breaking_free 13th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    breaking_free
    ... no deposit
    Originally posted by Dannypeck96
    Nope. I'm calling shenanigans on this one.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 13th Feb 18, 1:51 PM
    • 37,308 Posts
    • 157,161 Thanks
    silvercar
    List price of £480 pm? Expensive for a student and expensive for Hull, I'm guessing.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    Nope. I'm calling shenanigans on this one.
    Originally posted by breaking_free
    Actually this is really common, but often in commercially owned blocks of flats - purpose built for students.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 13th Feb 18, 2:30 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    need an answer
    The no deposit thing is quite common.
    My offspring is currently in this type of arrangement,no deposit but a long list of charges that were incorporated into the tenancy agreement should anything above wear and tear on the property occur.
    It seems to be getting more common in private rented shared student houses in their area.
    I assume it negates the ability to challenge the deduction when the tenancy ends via a deposit scheme.
    Last edited by need an answer; 13-02-2018 at 2:41 PM.
    in S 32 T 32 F 47
    out S 46 T 33 F 40
    2017 -32
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,326Posts Today

7,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin