Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 13th Feb 18, 10:25 AM
    • 401Posts
    • 611Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Debt Free By 2019?
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:25 AM
    Debt Free By 2019? 13th Feb 18 at 10:25 AM
    Well - i attempted one diary and failed at that

Debts are in my signature and have not changed much but trying to juggle repayments with driving lessons and savings for a car - PS first time car insurance judging by quotes - ouch

The CC has been brought down and back up again as I've paid a chunk and then had to use it again as I used all my disposable to pay the chunk then left nothing for food etc however, silly me has only just sussed out the APR is annual and not monthly - that is embarrassing to admit but now I know I can pay a set amount and not use all of my money and then use the card again.

So - car insurance is expensive! Did some test quotes cheapest one around 500 upfront and then 80 a month. 80 a month is fine but 500 - ouch. Had I anticipated that I probably could have saved from the start of my lessons to pay it annually in one go but no one mentioned the extortionate insurance

On the plus side I should have between 500 and 600 for a car by the time I take my test which I didn't want to spend any more than that, so happy just to hopefully hit my target savings.

That's about all for now - just saying hello on this new diary really
    Last edited by onedaysomeday; 19-04-2018 at 10:04 AM.
    Debt paid 1780.76 / 7180.59 (24%)
    CAR SERVICE CHALLENGE: 21/154 BY 5/6/18 (13.5 %)
    EMERGENCY FUND: 0 SAVINGS POTS: 0
Page 7
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 9th May 18, 5:24 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    To do today:
    - buy electrical insulation tape on my lunch break - this is to hold my power cable for when my phone is in the mount as a sat nav, it will run from the lighter power point behind my dash and needs holding in place to keep it neat and tidy done
    - buy some razors. I may buy refills for my venus from my allowance, I may spend my boots points to buy some disposables ended up buying some disposables from wilkos with more blades on
    - more coursework questions - the more the better! completed the module
    - go for a run/walk after work
    - have a spider-free bath (hopefully)
    Originally posted by onedaysomeday
    Not a bad day so far, fingers crossed the rest goes to plan too!
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 9th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Yay to the car It must feel so good... Very brave going on the motorway, I think I would need a few months to get myself geared (get it? hahaha) up for it. I think it's worth getting into work early to miss the busy commute... I go in early just because the train I get is less busy and much more enjoyable!
    Eek to the spider I am not a fan! When I was young I used to see spiders and my dad would go as if he was going to put them out the window but then would come at me with them and it still gives me the fear! Might be why I have some trust issues

Well done on completing the module and good luck with the bath! Hope it is enjoyable and decidedly spider-free
    Total Debt: 1125 / 7266.93
    Outstanding Debt: Santander CC 450 - Virgin CC 675
    Weight Loss: 7.1kg/ 38kg
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 11th May 18, 2:50 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hey, saw your venting thread *hugs* sounds stressful but hope you're doing ok.
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 11th May 18, 4:32 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Hi lonelyrat thanks for stopping by
    I don't usually vent online ha ha but just needed to get it out! Been a bit distracted lately but hoping my motivation kicks back in

Going to take the car for a full service next month so going to set myself a challenge to raise the money for that and see what I can do! Target is 154, there were some a little cheaper but they gave me the best overall cost for the service and then a small repair that was on the MOT advisory the following month too

Will be on properly over the weekend when to catch up on challenges and diaries etc so will swing by yours then
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 12th May 18, 9:26 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    I think venting online can be healthy. I know I find writing down everything that happens in my day very therapeutic... And if OH annoys me I am sure he will get written about too

Good luck with the car service fund!
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 14th May 18, 9:16 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    I am back and I am feeling motivated! The sun is shining, I've had my morning coffee, and I feel good!

Went to the gym yesterday and over the weekend decided to set myself some small goals each week to try and achieve bigger goals. My goals/jobs for this week are:

- Sign up to a website to meet new friends (this will be a biggie for me, I don't have many friends since I left my last job to work in a job where I work alone, so don't really do much other than see OH)
    - Make an extra payment to a debt and payment into savings (no matter how small)
    - Try meditation (not something I would normally try but who knows it may be good)
    - Gym twice & run twice (need to get back into shape)
    - Try a new hairstyle (have barely shoulder length hair that I cannot do a lot with so that should be interesting)

I am currently waiting for a PA cashout that I requested on Friday, normally goes into my paypal account on the same day, but hopefully will be in tomorrow by the latest. If I do that and pay in my 7 in 5ps and coppers I have at home to the bank, I should have a whole 15 in my car service fund tomorrow
    I will be doing part 3 of a 3 part study this week though that pays a bonus 4 for having done all 3 parts so that will be 5 from PA this week too!
    I guess I will be pretty much ebaying to try and make up the rest of the money and put aside money from NSD's where I can
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 15th May 18, 5:13 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Had a lovely day yesterday OH picked me up from work and we drove to his, on the way he said his neighbour had mentioned the local nature reserve we have been meaning to check out can be accessed from literally around the corner so we took a stroll up and it's so nice! Lots of trails for walking which was surprising considering he doesn't live in the biggest of places, and looks like we could easily spend most of a day walking. We were going to drive up to a water centre with a huuuuuge lake to practice for our 100km walk in September but we may well end up walking round the nature reserve for hours instead

Not much MSE to report small payout from PA waiting for another little bit to come and will cash in my change at the bank tomorrow (and try not to look like a completely poor person )

Going for a run/walk when I get in from work, and will be going to the gym before work tomorrow too so that's one each of my exercise jobs for the week. Once I've got properly back into the habit of it, it'll be really easy to stick to it's just forming the habit again in the first place!

Signed up to a few more survey sites and there's a website testing site I keep meaning to finish my registration for which I'll do tonight, and signed up on a Focus Group website too! Just plodding along for now
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 15th May 18, 8:46 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Yay to feeling motivated! I really like your goals idea. I think I sometimes either focus in too much on the day to day OR set goals for way, way into the future. I think weekly goals are deffo a good idea

The nature reserve sounds lovely
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 16th May 18, 11:46 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    It was really lovely but I think I'd still prefer to go to the water centre as there's a cafe about half way round so requires less carrying of food lol

Totally forgot to bring in my change for the bank today as I just about managed to force myself to the gym (i very very very nearly just stayed in bed ) so will put it in my bag tonight to make sure I have it for tomorrow instead. Literally the only reason I persuaded myself to get up was the pure lack of traffic at 6.15 am as opposed to 7.30 am although admittedly as it is light in the morning it doesn't feel as early

3.75 study done on PA today and will have the 3rd part of a study tomorrow for 1 + bonus 4.00 so thats 8.75 across two days, so by Tuesday next week I should have around 30 at least in my car service pot - not loads but around 20% so better that nothing!
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 16th May 18, 11:56 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Yeah I hope they agree to it, I can still afford it paying 450 then sorting it, but I think it would be the right thing for them to do considering they didn't mention it when I went to look.

Ah I know what you mean I fully feel at the age of 26 I should not be having skin problems
    Originally posted by onedaysomeday
    Haha i am 38 and i occasionally get out breaks when i am tired or run down. Have you tried distilled witch hazel on them??
    Cashback Earnings Ish YTD 46.99 Survey Earnings YTD Ish 192.66
    Is a few week gap.
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 17th May 18, 9:09 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Haha i am 38 and i occasionally get out breaks when i am tired or run down. Have you tried distilled witch hazel on them??
    Originally posted by Scott-Weiland
    No I can't say that I've ever heard of it! Is it good then?
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 17th May 18, 8:57 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    That's true about the light in the morning helping... I dread to think what I'll be like when the winter comes round again May ask for a Sunshine alarm clock for my birthday later in the year. What a boring gift idea?!

Well done on the almost 30! Anything is better than nothing I've been really lax with PA. Surveys dried up for me a bit so I got out of the habit of checking. Will need to get myself back into it!
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 18th May 18, 9:15 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Just had a google and I think it sounds like a really good idea! Not boring at all

Yeah I'm not as hot on checking at the moment as I usually am and my lack of OP's to my debts shows it

Going to have to put some walking boots on my CC today as we are going for a long walk on Sunday and need to break them in as early on as possible. Hadn't planned to buy them until the end of the month but will just have to pay the extra 30 or whatever straight off when I get paid on top of the normal payment. I don't want to risk straining my foot that I'm slowly rebuilding back up to running by not wearing supportive shoes

Today should be the day I meet my nan for lunch (free - yay!) so it will be my errand day which is pretty much checking for the walking boots in our Sports Direct (will have to buy online if they don't have them) paying my bags of change into the bank and buying a card for my OH. He doesn't get a lot of post so not long after we got together I started sending cute little cards in the post so he had post, and he loves it. Been a bit slack with it lately where things have been stressful but I proposed a jokey deal this morning where I would start sending the cards again if he starts buying me flowers again (nice gestures go both ways ) we did have a big chat a while ago about how he feels he should be doing more stuff to show that he loves me like I do for him

Tonight will be pub dinner (free - yay!) then I have an eye test tomorrow morning but other than that it should be a relaxing weekend!
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 18th May 18, 9:59 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Well, blimey, OH just called out of the blue and said we are taking the kids bowling on Sunday so looks like I'm actually finally meeting them!

His 11yo ran away from his mums house yesterday and went to his friends house (without telling her where he was going) because she was seeing her OH tonight whilst they are with OH, so OH has decided that the only way to really move forward is for his little boy to see that everyone has moved forwards so he has to come to terms with it, and part of that involves meeting me so he can see that mum has a boyfriend, dad has a girlfriend, and everyone is okay with it so he kind of needs to be okay with it too.

I'll admit I'm a bit nervous about him possibly throwing a tantrum or having a row with his dad on Sunday. He's been ok talking to me whilst his dad is on the phone to me in the car or whilst we're on the playstation he'll talk to me then but it's not like with his mum, they leave and and see their dad and he knows without a doubt she will be seeing her OH, whereas with his dad he works a lot of late shifts so doesn't necessarily know when his dad is with me.

I think as well there was an incident a while ago where he went through his mums phone/texts and saw stuff that made him lose his rag completely (can only assume images or adult messages) whereas he's never tried to do that with OH, so maybe it's all just because her OH is at the family home, is a new man in the house, etc

We shall see how it goes!
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 18th May 18, 1:26 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Brilliant news about meeting the kids!! Will keep my fingers crossed everything goes smoothly for you on Sunday Bowling sounds a good, low pressure, environment for it to happen as well!

That's really cute about the post by the way! I love it I'm a sucker for cute stuff. OH was feeling quite low last year and I got him a nice card and a wee stuffed lion which I called Happy. So if he feels down he's got Happy to cheer him up.

Wish my OH would get me more flowers Whenever he has any money and we go to the shops he always offers to buy me some but I wish he would just get them himself and surprise me. Still obviously a very lovely thought, but I don't want to pick them myself/ see how much they cost etc.

Have told my OH that I would like a sunshine alarm clock for my birthday and found a good one so he has some time to put money away for it (if/ when he gets a job)! He's got until September so fingers crossed he gets me one

Have fun with your nan and hope you find some good walking boots!
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 18th May 18, 2:32 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Ah I love the sound of Happy!
    I know what you mean about them being a surprise - OH also buys them at a time when we are heading to his and not anywhere near my house so they end up at his flat anyway kind of defeats the object if I don't have them at home to admire

I'd like to think September is enough notice

Got my walking boots! They're super comfy, not the colour I wanted but the same style and not much I can do when I need them at short notice
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 19th May 18, 6:46 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Glad you got the boots and good luck tomorrow Hope it goes well! Keep us posted!
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 21st May 18, 8:35 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    It went really well the original plan of taking them bowling turned into us having them til 4 as the ex was with her OH and then until 5 as she needed a tyre sorting at it couldn't be done until for

I was more worried about the boy but he was absolutely fine and said to OH that he'd had a good day and it was different with me and OH than his mum and her OH as we are not always all over each other which is what he does not like, his little girl has lots of energy and doesn't deal well with hearing the word no (screeching and screaming) but she's lovely other than that
    In all seriousness they are good kids and I'm glad it went so well

Ended up having to spend 60 on Saturday as my glasses prescription has changed a little bit, but it was 60 to update my lenses or 60 for a new pair so I got new ones the kicker is the lady said I had a narrow enough face to get away with kids glasses so I did

So I have now spent the last of my money filling up with petrol for the rest of the month, will have enough from PA to get lunch stuff for the rest of the month so I am okay I just can't buy anything else which means I should have lots of NSD's I guess

Had coffee round my brothers on Saturday after my eye test, drove over which I like being able to do, then drove up to OH's around 9pm when there was next to no traffic on the motorway and tried my theory this morning of leaving just after 6.30am as opposed to 7 to get a head start on the traffic on the motorway and it was much better - still quite busy but better than last time I attempted it and I feel confident driving with my music on now so was driving down singing away with the sun shining
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 21st May 18, 3:21 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Absolutely exhausted today

OH's neighbour occasionally likes to have a party with his (adult) children which would be fine if it was on a Friday or a Saturday but it's happened quite a few times on days when I have to be up super early the next day - we came home from the cinema last night (Deadpool 2 ) and could hear a load of noise, and decided not to risk it and moved all of the bedding into the front room (the room in the flat furthest from the neighbour, bedroom is the nearest) and camped out in there for the night. It was comfy enough to sleep but the light came through the blinds quite brightly and then I was convinced I'd slept through my alarm and even after seeing I hadn't, couldn't go back to sleep

Lost 2lbs last week, gained 2 this week, it's the cans of dark fruits I can go through like juice that are causing it im sure, and my massively breaking-out skin too! I will go to the gym more this week, I hope at least, I don't know what else I can do to motivate myself if hating the way I look is not enough!

Not much MSE to report, just ticking over...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,105Posts Today

9,044Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin