Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 13th Feb 18, 10:25 AM
    • 416Posts
    • 617Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Debt Free By 2019?
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:25 AM
    Debt Free By 2019? 13th Feb 18 at 10:25 AM
    Well - i attempted one diary and failed at that

Debts are in my signature and have not changed much but trying to juggle repayments with driving lessons and savings for a car - PS first time car insurance judging by quotes - ouch

The CC has been brought down and back up again as I've paid a chunk and then had to use it again as I used all my disposable to pay the chunk then left nothing for food etc however, silly me has only just sussed out the APR is annual and not monthly - that is embarrassing to admit but now I know I can pay a set amount and not use all of my money and then use the card again.

So - car insurance is expensive! Did some test quotes cheapest one around 500 upfront and then 80 a month. 80 a month is fine but 500 - ouch. Had I anticipated that I probably could have saved from the start of my lessons to pay it annually in one go but no one mentioned the extortionate insurance

On the plus side I should have between 500 and 600 for a car by the time I take my test which I didn't want to spend any more than that, so happy just to hopefully hit my target savings.

That's about all for now - just saying hello on this new diary really
    Last edited by onedaysomeday; 19-04-2018 at 10:04 AM.
    Debt paid 1780.76 / 7180.59 (24%)
    CAR SERVICE CHALLENGE: 21/154 BY 5/6/18 (13.5 %)
    EMERGENCY FUND: 0 SAVINGS POTS: 0
Page 2
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 23rd Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Today should be a fairly productive day!
    I have 7 eBay listings that will end this evening and I'm confident most (if not all) will sell. I still have a lot more stuff that I can put on there but I have a week and a half off of work from Wednesday next week so I may leave this until then so I can have a good old look at what I've got laying around. I did a clear out for charity a while ago but I feel like I need to do another one - I have a fairly small bedroom and just too much stuff for the little space I have.

Will be out for dinner tonight (pub grub) which is generally always a treat to celebrate the end of the week which is nice.
    Lunch will be a Boots deal with my (rapidly disappearing) points as I forgot to make a packed lunch last night

I also get to go and collect some jeans from Nxt on my lunch break too which were purchased from a gift card and collecting from the store so no paying for delivery either

I will have a decent chunk coming from the eBay sales including the ones sent and received just awaiting the pending funds to become available ( ) and the switch bonus and half of it will be going towards my car fund which will then be nearly complete and half will go towards paying off some lines on o2 (I have 3 for no reason other than about a year ago I wanted everything now and didn't really care about how much my monthly cost would be) which will save me at least 70pm. This then increases how much I can pay off my CC each month!

Going forwards too, I will give myself an allowance of 150pm - but I don't plan to spend all of it. I have worked out if I make packed lunches from home everyday, and do a maximum of 2 train journeys a week to see my OH, and buy a couple of small bottles of milk per week for work (coffee ) then I can probably spend 20 a week, which would leave 70 leftover from my allowance.
    This then means that my leftover money worked out from my spreadsheet (income minus all expenditure and my allowance) goes straight towards debts or savings when I get paid
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 24th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Well all but one of my eBay listings sold which has got me around 70 which is good and I have the bug now as I have spent this morning combing through what else I could put on for sale! I have just listed 2 DVD bundles which will only get me around another 10 but it's rare I watch DVDs what with all the streaming services available now, and I don't have much room to store them anyway.Just need to package up all the items that sold last night so they are ready to go the PO on Monday! We received a charity collection bag today too so I think all of my shoes that I don't wear and also won't get much online will go into that as well as a couple of jackets I have that also won't sell online - slowly decluttering! Annoyingly I know I have a bangle in a box from the jewellers somewhere, that I could put up for sale as I don't generally wear things on my wrist, but I cannot find it! I'm sure it will turn up somewhere

Nothing much else to report, been a quiet day and not much else going on this evening!
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 26th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Probably won't update til payday.. partially as I have to spend some time working out if I'm going to break up with my OH or not.. on the plus side of that I didn't think I could stomach lunch today so a NSD... next report after payday!
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 28th Feb 18, 9:02 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Well, it's payday!

Bit of a weird one this month as where February was a short month, a few of my bills are coming out later than the 1st of the month so I currently still have all of my wages sat in my account, but they're all accounted for where various payments will be going, it's just a matter of waiting for the payments to go out.

I got my activation code for online banking for my new account yesterday and happy to see that my switch bonus is sitting in there already, so that's going straight into my car fund!

It's my first day on my holiday days (back on the 12th March) so I think today will be a nice chilled out day and will try to be vaguely productive for the rest of it
    There will be lots of items going onto eBay I think whilst I have the time to go through everything that I own. I really do have so much clutter!

OH is waiting to find out if the landlord of a flat we viewed is willing to negotiate on the rent, we have sat down and worked out how much his outgoings are and how much his finances change with the extra cost for the new flat vs where he currently is. Easy to do finances these days I can look at my own just as well, so helping with his, making changes where necessary. Just wish I had been able to do this kind of thing when I began getting into debt
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 4th Mar 18, 10:50 PM
    • 8,955 Posts
    • 17,004 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Don't beat yourself up over the past. Just go forward. Great about the switch bonus. I need another active direct debit on the account I want to switch from before I can switch.
    Today is a new day 93/310 10 a day Mar Challenge DFD August 2021
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 12th Mar 18, 10:13 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Well, I'm back at work today after 8 days off where I wasn't at all as productive as I had hoped I would be!

However I'm happy with the progress I've made so far on my Old Debts - the figure should go below 1,000 after March's pay which will be a nice milestone!

I'm just awaiting a response from a Packaged Accounts claim with NatWest to see if I can get anything back from them before starting to make repayments - it's a closed account and they have said that they won't be chasing me for the money but have given me the number to call and make payments if I wish to.

The repayments to my nan and my OH will remain the same as it's an arrangement I've made but I may try and repay my nan a few months early and then start putting the extra 50 I pay her towards my repayments to my OH and get that cleared down quicker.

The credit card will now be tackled at 100 per month and more payments as and when I can so will be clear by the end of the year but hopefully a long time before then.

My other main priority as of my pay at the end of this month is to start building an emergency fund, and get that built up as soon as possible.

My turn to cook dinner tonight so we will probably have to stop at Sburys so I can use my Nectar points and not have to spend any money
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 12th Mar 18, 11:05 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Well I have already been looking ahead at the end of the month to see what I do debt wise to clear things down quicker - provided I keep to a 150 allowance (I've completely messed that up this month but I can scrape by for the rest of it that I have left).

I should have 245 left over for debt repayments once I have paid everything out this month.
    I have 2 accounts with a company with balances of 100 and 150 which currently gets paid at 25 a month on each account. Once the payments have been made at the end of this month to each account those balances will be 75 and 125.
    This means I could settle one of the accounts at least, and if I did that make 50 a month repayments to the one account left and settle it in a few months as opposed to 5 months.

That would then reduce my old debt figure to 934 with my other account repayments.
    I have 2 accounts also with Lowell that stand at 118 and 134.

After settling the 75 account I could then either settle the other account (125) or either of the Lowell accounts. My thinking at present is to repay the account that stands at 125 purely as its the ones I pay more to, and I would then have 50 free to throw at the two Lowell accounts and repay those quicker - if I did that, the 118 Lowell account would be paid in 3 months max (although I'd probably settle it all after two months) and the second account in 3 months max also. This would mean that by June I would just be repaying one old debt, and would have paid off 500 worth of debt

Well, it seems I have figured it all out for next month then!
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 13th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    I've been sulking a bit today that I've been too lazy to even make myself a packed lunch for work each day which was what I had been planning to do, to stop myself spending nearly a fiver on lunch as I work right in the town centre. My plan was to make a sandwich and bring a pack of some form of healthy snack too.

Then I remembered I now have a fridge at work. Well - a coke fridge, but big enough and cold enough to be able to store food in for a few days. This means what I could actually just do on a Monday morning is go to the shop and get enough for cheap lunches each day. I'm thinking a loaf of bread, sandwich filler (whether actual sandwich filler or just a pack of ham or something), and some own brand yoghurts and that would see me through the week. We always have enough healthy crisp things at home that I can just throw one in my handbag in the morning without having to think about it too much.

That means I can probably spend 5 a week on food absolute maximum. It makes life easier as well as there's no guarantee there'll always be enough of what I want at home to make lunch for the week, and I don't have to worry about waking up too late to be able to sort it out. The only other money I ever really spend on food is porridge sachets for breakfast and milk for that and coffee, so I can't really complain at 25 a month on food! Plus I'm sure there will be times that branded stuff may be on offer so it won't always be bottom of the range items

Just kind of waiting for the end of the month to come around now - all my driving lessons this month were covered in a block booking, and I don't think I need to get the train to my OH at all for the rest of the month (he will drive) so just waiting to get paid and pay off some more debts!
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 13th Mar 18, 5:20 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    fatrab
    Hi, Just catching up on your diary since you were good enough to read mine!!

One thing I will say, porridge sachets are extortionate compared to a bag of porridge oats. I reckon my morning porridge costs me 5p per portion. Sure, it's only a little saving and it's fractionally harder to make, but how much are the sachets costing? I used to spend 6.95 on breakfast alone Mon-Fri EVERY WEEK!!!! 35 just on breakfast!

What my wife and I do now is write out a meal plan like this:

Monday
    Breakfast - cereal/porridge
    Lunch - Sunday's leftovers
    Dinner - spag bol

Tuesday
    B- cereal/porridge
    L- leftover spag bol
    D- stewed sausage and potatoes

Weds
    B- cereal/porridge
    L- Leftover stewed sausage
    D- chicken stir fry

and so on...

When you cook every dinner make a big enough portion for tomorrows lunch. Plan 3 days in advance. Only shop for what you need to complete each meal. Make a shopping list and only buy what's on it! I don't remember the last time I threw any food away. Everything gets used.

There's a book & website called the Savvy Shopper's Cookbook, might be worth looking at if you're looking for easy cheap meals. If you don't already, start shopping at LIDL/ALDI, 3 months ago I wouldn't have set foot in either of them, now I resent going to ASDA or Sainsburys!

And as for finding the motivation, give yourself a kick up the backside and get on with it. You will feel better once you're getting on with it. Everyone will say "oh, 5 per day adds up to 25 per week" or "think of how much that adds up to over a year", I didn't find those numbers helpful at the time but realise now how it adds up. What I found helpful was keeping a spending diary and realising that the reason I didn't have 900 spare every month was because I was frittering it on utter, utter garbage!

The only person who will make that change is you!

I wish you the very best and will pop in as time goes by
    Last edited by fatrab; 13-03-2018 at 5:29 PM.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    May's targets - Lose 1 stone - 6lbs off, 25/31 AFDs, 15/18 lunches.
    37 x 2 coins (#32) - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 13th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Hi, Just catching up on your diary since you were good enough to read mine!!

One thing I will say, porridge sachets are extortionate compared to a bag of porridge oats. I reckon my morning porridge costs me 5p per portion. Sure, it's only a little saving and it's fractionally harder to make, but how much are the sachets costing?
    Originally posted by fatrab
    I was actually thinking about this in the supermarket on my lunch break - I think the boxes I get are 8 sachets for 1.00 but it will be a lot cheaper buying a big bag!

I'm fortunate that I live with people who are almost family and my rent covers food, the only down side is I don't have much control over the meals to be able to make lunches from them for the next day - I do where I can but it feels much more straightforward at the moment just making sandwiches

Thank you for the well wishes!
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 14th Mar 18, 9:57 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    (second time having to type this out as page crashed whilst trying to post before )

Well - I woke up in a positive mood today! Several times actually! I woke up at 5.30am to do my workout DVD and still have pain in my legs from a long run I didn't cool down from on Sunday, so I was positive I should wait until tomorrow to do it instead. Then when I woke up again at 6.30am I was positive I should have just gotten up at 5.30am regardless as I felt much more groggy and grumpy the second time around

All jokes aside, I really do feel positive and determined today!

My foot injury is back, I either haven't let it heal properly or gone in too much too soon with the long run I did on Sunday. However it's not at the point it was when I took a break before (i.e swollen and causing me to limp because I ignored it for several weeks) so hopefully it won't take long to heal up and I will actually just ease back into it once I am pain free again. This time round though I do need to actually do some other exercise (hence the workout DVD) as it made me genuinely miserable and irritable just sitting around for weeks, not helped by the weight gain. Lack of endorphins from exercise = stuffing my face to make myself feel better = feeling more miserable because I've stuffed my face = lack of motivation to exercise = feeling more miserable. I won't lie, I was a complete witch (except not quite witch ) to a lot of people too.

I've discovered that although my old current account is now closed, the two savings accounts I had through that bank too are still active and running, so they will be used going forwards as two pots for presents in the year, and the other for car maintenance etc. My PO Saver will be used for my emergency fund, and once I have bought a car my other current account will be used to save for any other purchases I need to save up for.

I have listed four items for sale this morning. My other tasks for the day include:
    - Setting up SO's for new savings pots
    - Finding out how to obtain my online statements for my closed account. It says on the site you can view them for closed accounts for upto five years but isn't showing me anything
    - Find out if I can pay in old 1 coins to my new current account - I found 4 in an old coat pocket
    - Keep an eye out for surveys
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 14th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Made it through my half of my checklist nice and quickly!
    1 - the SO's are all set up now for savings
    2 - Have researched and Hfax let you take in old 1 coins to pay into your account
    3 - trying to get hold of bank online to ask about statements

I have also worked out that once everything is paid (and the two debts completely paid) my total will be 3387.50, which will be 1286.50 less than when I started. At the end of April with that wage, it will drop down to 3092 which is 1582 less than when I decided to start the diary!

Things will progress quicker once the end of April has gone - with the lack of driving lessons and other things that have come to an end (distance learning course etc) I have a fair amount of income leftover but that will have to be used for a hefty first instalment on car insurance although, having said that, I have just run a test quote on a Clio, and the top (monthly) quote it's showing me is 183 upfront then 10 instalments of 120.

I was previously looking and it was showing me a best offer of 500 upfront and 80 a month. Admittedly, its more money per month after the first instalment but the first instalment is also over 300 cheaper. I'm trying not to think about it too much as it's still around a month until my test, but there's no guarantee I'll pass first time anyway.
    If i did manage to get a real quote like that, 120 a month would still leave me around 500 that I could put towards debt repayments each month, less the cost of petrol.

I could definitely be debt free well before the end of the year with that much left over. So easily. As it stands, if I kept on paying exactly what I pay now, no changes at all, my estimated totals at the end of December would be:
    CC - 225 (probably less when the interest reduces with the total reducing but this is worst case)
    Loan (OH & Nan) - 42 (I currently pay my OH 71.50 til Feb and my Nan 50 til end of Oct so two payments would be just towards my OH @ 121.50
    Old Debts - 44
    Overdraft - 534
    Presents Pot - 180
    Car Maintenance etc pot - 180
    EF - 300
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 14th Mar 18, 1:16 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    However - if I work on the assumption that I would have around 250 a month left over, after petrol and a 150 per month allowance, things could look very differently!
    A potential allocation could be:
    CC Payment increased from 100 to 150
    O/D Payment starts at 75pm
    Old Debt payments are increased from 85 per month to 160 per month
    EF payment is increased from 30 to 80.

This would mean that:
    The Old Debts would be repaid at the end of September with a 76 surplus from that payment coming off of the credit card balance
    The CC would be cleared at the end of October with a 50 surplus going to the Loan from my OH (Nans part being cleared this month also)
    The OD would be cleared at the end of October with 84 of the previously allocated Old Debt money, the rest of the Old Debt money would also take another 76 off of the loan total
    Then at the end of November I would pay the final 159 to my OH and everything would be repaid and I would have 620 in an emergency fund too.

That took some brain power but it's really nice to see that I could definitely be debt free by November at the latest!
    • Poppy1984
    • By Poppy1984 14th Mar 18, 10:27 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Poppy1984
    Ah just realised I've left my comment of your old diary!
    19-02-18 Total Debt 4,015 Next 815 Very 1600 Tesco Credit Card 1600
    PAID Next 815/815 now closed Very 900/ 1600 Tesco 160/ 1600
    Emergency Fund 280/300
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 15th Mar 18, 8:31 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Ah just realised I've left my comment of your old diary!
    Originally posted by Poppy1984
    My fault for not being able to maintain the first one

I have a spreadsheet for all my income and expenditure so I put the things I buy on there as well - I'm going to try this month having my allowance out in cash. I feel much more accountable taking the money out of my purse and physically seeing it going as opposed to just tapping a card or clicking some buttons online
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 15th Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Well, not much to report this morning it's kind of just the wait until the end of the month now...

The only thing I am waiting for is the 18th when my phone bill is generated to a) check my 60 credit is applied and b) whether it will come off of the total bill or just the tariff etc. Fingers crossed for total bill as that 60 is earmarked for my car fund! Left my purse at home yesterday so that I wasn't tempted to walk into town, but did end up spending 3.00 on the way home with my OH as I was a bit unbearable yesterday on top of a rubbish day he was already having so I got us a couple of drinks from McD's on the way home and did the pile of washing up etc when we got in too.

Tonight we are taking two of my family out for dinner at a Turkish restaurant as they treated us a while back, but OH isn't letting me pay for that so I'm looking forward to a nice meal out without worrying about where the money is going to come from. I have OH's CC's and he has done remarkably well at getting through the month without using them for random spends.

I had a small bid on one of my items for sale this morning so at least 1 out of 4 will definitely sell, had a message about a bracelet on there too and it now has a watcher so that should go too

So what's on my to-do list for today? Very little
    - go to m-pig and pick out an anniversary card for my parents to incorporate into my budget
    - attempt again to find out why I can't view my closed account statements online when it says I can
    - put holiday form in for my driving test date
    - keep an eye out for surveys
    • riotlady
    • By riotlady 15th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    riotlady
    Sounds like a good day! I'm also pootling at home keeping an eye out for surveys
    Make 2018 in 2018 challenge-
    509/2018
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 15th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Sounds like a good day! I'm also pootling at home keeping an eye out for surveys
    Originally posted by riotlady
    I never seem to come across that many in the daytime, I do seem to have better luck early morning or in the evening if I'm not busy and have the time to look. Annoyingly most of my free time on a computer is in the daytime
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 15th Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Today is one of those days that really seems to drag! Maybe it's just because I'm excited for dinner later.

I picked an Anniversary card for my mum on m-pig (they're in Australia) and whilst on there figured out you can choose dates waaay in advance for them to be delivered, so also ended up paying for a Mother's Day Card, a Father's Day Card & 50th Birthday Card which is all the ones I will need to send over for the year, other than Christmas. They generally have guests from the UK before Christmas so I tend to just sent cards and presents over with whoever is visiting. It came to 17 for all four cards which I don't think is massively horrendous including the delivery too. I'm just happy that they are all sorted for the year

The day off for my driving test is now booked off.
    The only problem I have today is trying to look at my old statements! It says clearly on the website that you can view online statements for upto five years on a closed account - it's just not showing there anywhere and it only closed a week ago! I did begin downloading them on my laptop but it was so boring that I forgot to go back to it
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 16th Mar 18, 11:03 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Happy Friday everyone!

Dinner last night was amazing - but it was not a cheap deal for my OH which he doesn't mind but the family we took out will be taking us out again to cover the big difference in bills for the two meals so that will be nice!

Been browsing around on TCB this morning - forgot to mention that I managed to find a just below 8% cashback offer on m-pig yesterday which I used for the cards. Found the car insurance company that continually shows me the cheapest quotes when I do test quotes, and they are on there with 48 cashback for taking out a policy - trying to plan everything ahead so that when (trying to say when and not if!) I pass, I can just crack on with sorting everything out.

I also had an email from Sburys today about doing surveys in return for points - not massive amounts but it all adds up so did a few of those. There was a interesting sounding 2.50 survey on PA but I'm at work so can't do it as it requires headphones to do the survey - a big shame as I do enjoy those kind of ones.

I have a strong desire to get up to 100 posts today so will do less lurking and more chatting

My nan is taking me out for lunch today (we do this once a week as lately it seems to be the only time we can catch up). If it wasn't for the milk and sugar I got this morning today would be a NSD but it's only 1 and I cannot manage without my coffee!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,203Posts Today

7,406Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin