Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jostenning
    • By jostenning 13th Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    jostenning
    Is this energy bill higher than average?
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    Is this energy bill higher than average? 13th Feb 18 at 10:06 AM
    Hello

I'm helping my Mum with her energy bills and she is currently with EDF fixed until September 2018.

She lives in a 1960's 3 bedroom semi and is at home most of the day. The loft was insulated a couple of years ago.

She had a new central heating system (boiler and radiators) fitted last year where the combi boiler is in the loft and there is a remote control unit where you can set the heating.

She doesn't use timers on it at all, she just puts it on as and when she feels cold. She never leaves the central heating on if she goes out. The house heats up pretty quickly, usually within half an hour and then she turns it back down again. Temperature is normally no higher than 20 degrees. If she's upstairs in the evening and doesn't want to heat the whole house, she will put on the oil free radiator in her bedroom.

She's just had a bill from EDF covering 36 days 4 January to 8 February.

Electric was 329 kwh = 45
    Gas was 192 units = 2154 kwh = 65

I just want to know if this is OK or if it seems high.
    I think the electric seems OK but the gas seems high, if my internet research is right then average gas use per day is around 30 - 35 kwh but then looking at above my mum's is almost 60kwh per day!

If anyone could help or advise, that would be great.
    Thank you.
Page 1
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 13th Feb 18, 10:41 AM
    • 777 Posts
    • 2,097 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:41 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:41 AM
    That's quite normal for the situation you describe for this time of year.

This winter is colder than last year for most areas of the country, so gas use will be higher than expected.

I know ours is, and also for an older relative we help.
    Last edited by ASavvyBuyer; 13-02-2018 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Added Info
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 13th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    That's quite normal for the situation you describe for this time of year.

This winter is colder than last year for most areas of the country, so gas use will be higher than expected.

I know ours is, and also for an older relative we help.
    Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer
    You're not wrong, our boiler records it's own usage, and last January was 20% higher than any month since we got it!

And that's with new A-rated windows being fitted at the beginning of the month!
    • jostenning
    • By jostenning 13th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jostenning
    thank you for your reply, it does put your mind at rest a bit!
    I was looking at the previous bill covering three months - electric usage was about the same but gas use averaged 50% lower but I suppose we have had a very cold January so this could account for the extra used on heating.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

4,325Users online

Martin's Twitter