Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrewd
    • By andrewd 13th Feb 18, 8:56 AM
    • 47Posts
    • 34Thanks
    andrewd
    How to find transaction details?
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:56 AM
    How to find transaction details? 13th Feb 18 at 8:56 AM
    Hi,

We are in dispute with a credit company, Creation, and they have now involved a debt recovery company. My wife had made a number of payments but Creation are denying they received the payments. From online statements it doesn’t show the transaction details such as the account and sort code the money was sent to. The bank have said they can’t tell us which I find frankly ridiculous.

So any advice on how we can find out the transaction details? Surely our bank can tell us where our money was sent?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 13th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    • 2,426 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    Vortigern
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    From which bank did she make these payments?

How were these payments made? Debit card or Faster Payment?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 20,134 Posts
    • 15,846 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    How long ago were the payments made? You are right that the bank will certainly have recorded the sortcode and account number that the payment was sent to, but there may be a limit to how long that information is held (I'd expect it to be at least a year though, if not more).
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 13th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    Hi,

We are in dispute with a credit company, Creation, and they have now involved a debt recovery company. My wife had made a number of payments but Creation are denying they received the payments. From online statements it doesn’t show the transaction details such as the account and sort code the money was sent to. The bank have said they can’t tell us which I find frankly ridiculous.

So any advice on how we can find out the transaction details? Surely our bank can tell us where our money was sent?

Thanks
    Originally posted by andrewd
    in your online statement try clicking on the transaction. That should show the amount and the name the recipient and in the case of a transfer the reference used. That's the case with both my Starling Bank current account and Lloyds Bank current account. From there you can get back to Creation and if they say they haven't received it get on to your bank for verification.
    • andrewd
    • By andrewd 13th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    andrewd
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    The bank in question is Barclays. The payments were made in the last 12 months. When I check online it only gives me the amount and date and the reference my wife entered.

She even went into a branch and was told they can!!!8217;t help! That!!!8217;s just rubbish surely?
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 13th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 3,271 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    If your wife paid online she can view the list of payees she has set up.

select Move money;
    select Manage saved payee list.

She should then see a list of payees, including sort code, account number and reference.

She could use this list to check that the sort code, account number and reference are correct. My suspicion is that at least one of these things is wrong.

Barclays has the information your wife wants. If they are unwilling to give it to her she should make a Subject Action Request, asking for all information they have.

https://www.apply.barclays.co.uk/forms/subject-access-request?execution=e1s1
    • andrewd
    • By andrewd 14th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    andrewd
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    Found the info this morning, took awhile but was there in the list of payees! Wish I’d read snow tigers advice I’d have saved some time!

The sort code and account number are correct as they match what’s on Creation Finances own “how to pay” page on their website.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 20,134 Posts
    • 15,846 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    i think in your bank can get this answer
    Originally posted by CliffordMiller
    And I think, given that the OP already has the answer, that you are nothing but a spammer.
    • verybigchris
    • By verybigchris 15th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    • 417 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    verybigchris
    • 15th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    FWIW, if Creation want to be difficult then they can legitimately argue that the saved payee details don't constitute proof that previous payments were made to the right account. It would have been possible for you to pay a different account and then change the details later.

Your bank will have full audit information on the transaction(s) which will include sort code, account number and reference, but some banks are more forthcoming with that info than others.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 15th Feb 18, 8:25 PM
    • 24,764 Posts
    • 11,970 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    If she paid by faster payments and the sort code and account number are correct but the reference was incomplete or wrong then perhaps the payments have bounced back into her bank account?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • No_6
    • By No_6 15th Feb 18, 9:53 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    No_6
    you only need sort and account numbers

reference is for your info
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 16th Feb 18, 12:33 AM
    • 7,121 Posts
    • 7,539 Thanks
    eskbanker

Originally posted by No_6
    Not for paying a Creation credit card - in common with many others they use a generic collection bank account and the reference is used to redirect payments from there to the correct card account, as per http://www.creation.co.uk/credit-cards/understanding-creation-cards/making-a-payment:
    You need to make the payment to (sort code) 40-02-50 (account number) 71236466. You must quote your Creation Credit card number (starting 5299) as a reference so that we can identify your payment when it comes into our bank account.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 16th Feb 18, 5:59 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    msallen

Pot, meet kettle.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73888759&postcount=6
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Feb 18, 8:09 AM
    • 20,134 Posts
    • 15,846 Thanks
    agrinnall
    If she paid by faster payments and the sort code and account number are correct but the reference was incomplete or wrong then perhaps the payments have bounced back into her bank account?
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    I don't think there is any facility to bounce back a faster payment - it's either rejected before being sent (which should be the case if the sortcode or account number are invalid, but there's no check at that stage on the reference) or it'll be sitting in a suspense account at the receiving end because they are unable to use the reference number to route it correctly in their internal systems.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 16th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 24,764 Posts
    • 11,970 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    I don't think there is any facility to bounce back a faster payment - it's either rejected before being sent (which should be the case if the sortcode or account number are invalid, but there's no check at that stage on the reference) or it'll be sitting in a suspense account at the receiving end because they are unable to use the reference number to route it correctly in their internal systems.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I have seen this happen with an MBNA card which is why I mentioned it.
    I had forgotten to include the very last digit of my card number - so the FP left my account but was returned 24 hours later.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 20,134 Posts
    • 15,846 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I have seen this happen with an MBNA card which is why I mentioned it.
    I had forgotten to include the very last digit of my card number - so the FP left my account but was returned 24 hours later.
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    I think there must have been manual intervention to return the payment using the originating details in that case.
    • No_6
    • By No_6 16th Feb 18, 10:07 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    No_6
    so If you put in the wrong account ?
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 17th Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    • 3,271 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    SnowTiger

so If you put in the wrong account ?
    You contact your bank, who will use an industry-wide approach to try and get your funds back. See https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/send-money-wrong-account.

The reference details aren't always for 'your info' alone.

Take Vanquis credit card as an example. Their instructions to customers paying by Internet banking are:

Via your bank’s telephone or internet banking service, you can make a one off payment or set up a standing order. Simply quote the following details: (1) Our sort code: 60-95-94, (2) Our bank account number: 0000 0001 and (3) Your Vanquis 16 digit card account number.
    The card's sixteen digit number should be used as the reference, which will determine which credit card account the amount is credited to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

124Posts Today

1,918Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin