Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Feb 18, 6:19 AM
    • 1,404Posts
    • 13,808Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Tuesday 13th February 2018
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:19 AM
    Old Style Daily Tuesday 13th February 2018 13th Feb 18 at 6:19 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 2
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 13th Feb 18, 12:14 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 9,714 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all
    Had a really bad night due to a coughing fit about 1.30, even woke Mr Fix It as I couldn't catch my breath. I hate it when that happens as it's very scary ! We chatted until 4 am then he fell asleep. How rude, when I'm still wide awake . Good job we removed the chandeliers because I could have swung from them this morning . I blame the cough medicine again!
    We were going to town this morning but decided to give it a miss, as the weather overnight was high winds and driving rain, plus I was going to have a lie in. Not much chance of that as it's bin day, gosh they are a noisy lot and someone is having scaffolding put up too . So I'm hanging today .
    Early this morning Mr Fix It saw our over-the-road neighbour trying to get rid of his extra rubbish in anyone's bin. Got caught coming over to ours as Mr Fix It was stood in the window, watching. Think Mr Fix It was a blood hound in a former life . Don't suppose neighbour will stop trying next time though.
    Not much will be done by me today as I'm thoroughly wrecked and I intend to have an early night. Even tea will be something out of the freezer and oven chips, epic fail today Oser's .
    MrsSD You threw me with "Ron", there was I thinking you're psychic as Mr Fix It's middle name is Ronald ( which he hates ) but it's a hand me down through the generations, so he's stuck with it. Never thought about "later on" .
    Dumpling
    and JackieO thanks for the explanation. I must be really thick or can I blame it on the lurgy ?. As the bacon had been frozen once, I was unsure about refreezing it unless it was cooked.
    TA hope Mr TA's appointment goes well.
    Speky I think I would have to be the eccentric aunt who sits in the corner and talks to herself .
    Hope everyone stays safe and warm today. Sending hugs to anyone who needs or wants one. Might even have a few for myself too .
    Take care all
    nan
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 13th Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 12,649 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Afternoon all

Wet and cold here first thing but has brightened up now. Grampy's taxi was employed taking DD and DGS to a playdate this morning so they could arrive there dry and warm. Just as well they only live about 5 minutes away.

DH and I have cracked on with the housework this morning and he has now nipped over to Lidlee for some bits and pieces. He is salivating at the thought of pancakes tonight. Wish me luck for after 43 years I am still rubbish with batter.

We have friends coming round for coffee this afternoon. We are free this week as we don't have to look after DGS Well in theory anyway lol !

Hugs and spoons to all poorlies and worried. Keep warm and have a good day.

Gintot
    Last edited by Gintotmelinda; 13-02-2018 at 12:29 PM.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 13th Feb 18, 1:13 PM
    • 1,964 Posts
    • 19,909 Thanks
    snoozer
    Poppy and Jackie, DD and her DH went to the Galapagos as part of their honeymoon. They also stayed in the rainforest hotel that was on the Amazing Hotels programme a little while ago. DD was writing articles about the trip so they got their stay there and in the Galapagos (including a cruise) gratis.

We're just packing up ready to leave Yorkshire and go home to Bedfordshire. Only one night there then we are off to London to return Ziggypup to DD and for DH to dismantle some wardrobes in their flat before the bedroom is decorated.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 13th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    • 3,459 Posts
    • 31,693 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Afternoon already, where did the morning disappear to I wonder. Cold, windy and wet here, and for once I found this out first hand, poor OH has a full on cold and spent a great deal of last night sitting up reading I am told. I volunteered to take Miss Border Collie for a round the houses walk, he normally takes her up fields which slope badly and are very difficult for me to walk on (clapped out ankle joint). We both got pretty wet, but saw some daffodils coming into bloom on the edge of the path by the river and quite a lot of plump catkins, all very cheery

We cried off attending our dear neighbour's funeral this morning, no way should OH mix with folk and I could well be incubating it so kind neighbours will represent us. I said my goodbye as I walked past the end of her drive this morning (only dear dog to hear me).

We will also be watching Shetland this evening, love the books and the TV series.

Specky - happy birthday wishes to your Gran, hope that you have a lovely meal this evening. Dumpling and Gintot - have a nice time with your respective friends today. Nanny - I didn't "get" Ron either. Poppy - heard this week of someone going to The Galapagos on holiday for a whole month, must confess to being just a little envious. TA - best wishes to Mr TA for the pre-op. Healing vibes to those that are poorly and in pain, hope that you are able to stay dry and warm.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Feb 18, 2:19 PM
    • 10,415 Posts
    • 113,521 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Oh, and following on from yesterday - you all feel like extended family to me!
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    That's really nice of you to say; I particularly appreciate it because I have no family other than Mr LW.
    Hoping your RL Gran enjoys her birthday celebrations.
    MrsSD You threw me with "Ron", there was I thinking you're psychic as Mr Fix It's middle name is Ronald ( which he hates ) but it's a hand me down through the generations, so he's stuck with it. Never thought about "later on" .
    Originally posted by nannywindow
    I'd heard it before, so got it straight away. I did think about my little mate Ronnie, though; I suspect he'd be partial to a bit of bacon given the chance (he's a long-haired JRT).

Been watching a sparrowhawk on the garden fence eyeing up the squirrels; he's just returned for the third time this afternoon!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 13th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Would a sparrowhawk attempt to take a squirrel, LW?
    • Judi
    • By Judi 13th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    • 16,008 Posts
    • 69,189 Thanks
    Judi
    Visit from Prodigal.... he has registered with his original doctor. All this faffing around takes time and he needed to get sorted but its all done now. He has an appointment on the 26th to see the doctor concerning his mental health. I said i'd go with him but i'm now wondering if i would be doing the right thing. He's not a baby but he definitely needs help. I went with Eldest when he saw the doctor about tackling his addiction but felt like a bit of a spare part. Ive got a daughter living thousands of miles away from me who doesnt need her hand held, another one who would be horrified at the thought of Mommy coming with her to the doctors and Youngest even had surgery whilst i was a couple of hundred miles away.... Do i really need to 'baby' this grown man? However, he did say he did want me to come with him and he definitely has mental health issues.... i dont suppose i can leave it to chance can i? He's not a great conversationalist.

Eldest not got his results back for his tests for permanent damage to his liver. He has been trying to sort out appointments for his support network.

Meanwhile messages back and forth from me and Grump. Seems like he doesnt like my suggestions as to what would make life so much easier for him....
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 39,712 Thanks
    Gers
    Evening all.

Despite the biting cold it's been a mostly glorious day here. Apart from a very brief weak flurry of snow the sky has been blue and the sun has been trying very hard to shine. No heat though.

My morning was calm, two good students, and my afternoon busy with tidying up folders on my laptop and putting 'things' in order.

When I got home I left my front door open for a while to let the sun get in. It sets to the right of my door so it's gone now and I have lit the woodburner.

I hope everyone has a good evening and can keep warm and safe.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 10,415 Posts
    • 113,521 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Would a sparrowhawk attempt to take a squirrel, LW?
    Originally posted by ScarletRibbons
    Normally I'd have said not........... but the way this one was eyeing them up, I think he may be desperate for a meal. On the other hand, there may be smaller wildlife about that I can't see.
    Oh, and I checked in my bird book, he's deffo a sparrowhawk.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 13th Feb 18, 9:35 PM
    • 16,008 Posts
    • 69,189 Thanks
    Judi
    Results came back from the hospital for the tests done on Eldests' liver. All is well. One less thing for me to worry about.

Grump is still 'dying' but is better than he was.... and i'm going to have an early night.

Sleep well all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 14th Feb 18, 1:10 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 6,290 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Just a quick pop in. Having had all the aggro of changing my password a few days ago, I had to change it again tonight because it was 5 days old

What on earth is going on?

Have a good night everyone

MrsSD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,357Users online

Martin's Twitter