Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Auswifey
    • By Auswifey 13th Feb 18, 12:39 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Auswifey
    Advice please! Buying a house process help
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:39 AM
    Advice please! Buying a house process help 13th Feb 18 at 12:39 AM
    Hi all,

Hubby and I are currently living in Australia. Iím an Aussie and heís a Brit. We have two children, one being a newborn and we have decided to move back to England.

We have found a house we would like to put an offer on however both didnít realise the process is so different to
    Buying in Australia where either seller or buyer can pull out prior to exchange.
    The issue is, I need to apply for a spouse visa and also enter in a date of arrival on the visa application. So we really need the house purchase to go through and not have the potential seller pull out.

What can we do to ensure nothing falls through between the offer being accepted to exchange/completion?
    Can we ask to speed things up and exchange/complete quicker? Obviously I know it depends if they are in a chain, we are waiting to find this out. Is it usually 2-3months from offer to exchange?
    We are cash buyers so donít have to wait for mortgages to be approved.

Any advice you can give would be great. Iím stressing out already and we havenít even bought a house yet. I just hope thereís some sort of guarantee we could get that the house sale canít fall through.

Thanks all.
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 13th Feb 18, 8:19 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 2,834 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:19 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:19 AM
    buying a house in UK is slow usually and 3 months is average but can take longer and you may not have any control over some things.

As cash buyers it should be quick, but you need a good solicitor which usually helps. Get one locally to where you will buying, that might be useful. Have you got a building survey company in mind?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 13th Feb 18, 8:30 AM
    • 696 Posts
    • 1,181 Thanks
    jimbog
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:30 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:30 AM
    Hi all,

I need to apply for a spouse visa and also enter in a date of arrival on the visa application. So we really need the house purchase to go through and not have the potential seller pull out.
    Originally posted by Auswifey
    Does your application insist that you own your own home in the UK before you can be issued with a visa? Far better to rent for six months, be able to look around properties yourselves rather than than have the extra stress of a house purchase
    The problem with quotations on the internet is that you can never verify their authenticity - Abraham Lincoln
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 13th Feb 18, 8:34 AM
    • 12,177 Posts
    • 17,181 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:34 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:34 AM
    Corrected that for you...

buying a house in UK England, Wales and Northern Ireland is slow usually and 3 months is average but can take longer and you may not have any control over some things.
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Feb 18, 8:37 AM
    • 20,321 Posts
    • 16,066 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:37 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:37 AM
    As jimbog says, rent first. Buying a house while you are on the other side of the world so unable to view it and unsure when you will arrive seems like a completely mad idea.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 13th Feb 18, 8:44 AM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 2,500 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:44 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:44 AM
    You only have a guarantee that the purchase won't fall through once you've exchanged contracts. The seller can pull out at any time before then.

The usual delay between exchange and completion would be about two weeks. You could ask for a longer delay though.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to move into rented accommodation for a few months? This will give you time to get to know the area a little and view different properties.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 13th Feb 18, 8:56 AM
    • 6,470 Posts
    • 6,357 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:56 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:56 AM
    ... or even easier if you have family or friends in the UK that could put you up initially.

It's difficult to find short tenancies in the UK, due to legislation and the higher relative overhead costs.

Plus the extra complexities of referencing (no established employment references from the UK, no credit history in the UK etc).
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 13th Feb 18, 9:13 AM
    • 7,809 Posts
    • 7,984 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:13 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:13 AM
    You only have a guarantee that the purchase won't fall through once you've exchanged contracts.
    Originally posted by steampowered
    Even that isn't a guarantee that it will complete, just that you'll have remedies if the other party breaches the contract. It does make it much less likely but I'm not sure I'd be booking my tickets from Australia on the strength of having exchanged (and as pointed out, you don't typically get a great deal of notice anyway).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,059Posts Today

8,359Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Quick #eng pre-match poll. What result do you predict?

• I agree this glitch wasn't flights for 1p it was flights for c. £200 - I think many would've expected that to be th? https://t.co/QUTnlBLPkj

• Was the BA fare glitch fair? Are you one of those let down by BA cancelling cheap flights to Tel Avivandr Dubai? H? https://t.co/PvN8Zaxbue

• Follow Martin