Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 12th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 12Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    Air bricks
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    Air bricks 12th Feb 18 at 10:54 PM
    Hi,
    I am buying a victorian house, no render. It is not heated properly so I suspect they may go away. I had a full survey and the engineer said there was high levels of damp around the permiter on the external and party walls. He suggested renewing the damp proof course for around 1200 with re plastering and a 30 year guarantee. Think he means the membrane type rather than chemical injection.
    There is no render and the property has been pointed in cement mortar I think.. It has a cavity wal and indications it has been insulated.
    I don't think a damp proof course will really be tackling the route cause? Though there are several fireplaces so there will be plenty of air changes.
    Are airbricks an alternative to a damp proof course? Or would you try the damp proof course first?
    What would you do?
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 13th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    • 3,166 Posts
    • 1,846 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    Who was this !!!8220;engineer!!!8221;? Was he an independent damp surveyor, some other chartered surveyor or a DPC salesman !!!8220;surveyor!!!8221;?
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 25,026 Posts
    • 68,508 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    I think you should do nothing until you move in, heat it properly and then assess after some time. If it is not visible then it probably does not exist tomany degree that needs treating.

I would expect a house that is not heated properly to create readings at low level where the most prominent cold bridge is likely to be in a period house - the air gap at the corners of where an un-insulated sub floor meets the wall and cold creeps up the wall giving a *damp*reading that is simply *cold* with a bit of condensation. Not damp.

A DPC does not treat the cause of damp, the render they use masks it. If there is a cause, you find it and fix it. DPCs are usually breached, they rarely fail. Or there are many other reasons, virtually all of them basic maintenance, and cheaper than having an injected DPC that does not address the initial problem anyway.

Yes, the room needs ventilating but an open chimney should be plenty.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 25,026 Posts
    • 68,508 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    It is impossible to type a decent length reply without unconsciously using apostrophes. I!!!8217;m thoroughly enjoying editing every single post to make it look like English again. I must also read as being a bit stand-offish using full phrases instead of abbreviations of every day terms.

I do hope they fix it soon.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    • 25,026 Posts
    • 68,508 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    See, I even used an apostrophe when I was trying not to!
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 13th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    He was a chartered structural engineer
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 13th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    Thanks. I'm a heating engineer so I'm familiar with air changes and condensation. Not an expert on damp proofing though. I am very sceptical of just masking the problem. I think I'll find another way to battle it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

537Posts Today

5,487Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin