Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 12th Feb 18, 10:13 PM
    • 824Posts
    • 30Thanks
    wallofbeans
    TV extended warranty worth it?
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:13 PM
    TV extended warranty worth it? 12th Feb 18 at 10:13 PM
    Hello,

I'm looking into buying a new TV and there are slightly better deals to be had on Amazon, but other places like John Lewis and Richer Sounds offer an extended warranty (5 and 6 years) on TVs... Is it worth paying an extra 」75 for this warranty?

I'm assuming yes, but wanted to see what others thought.....

Thanks.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Feb 18, 10:37 PM
    • 26,832 Posts
    • 10,785 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:37 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:37 PM
    Depends on what the TV costs, and will you want it repaired in 5 years time when technology may have moved on a bit more.

Will you be replacing it in 5 years anyway?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 12th Feb 18, 10:46 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:46 PM
    It値l be around 」500 for the TV. And I bought the last one in 2010 so I知 guessing it値l be a similar amount of time before I want another.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 12th Feb 18, 10:46 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 1,175 Thanks
    treboeth
    Probably the only two companies that are worth having extended warranties with.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 13th Feb 18, 12:40 AM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:40 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:40 AM
    I think its worth it. I had to use the Richer Sounds one after about 3 years with no problem.
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 13th Feb 18, 7:34 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    mobileron
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:34 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:34 AM
    Last one i bought from Richersounds had 5 years FREE warranty.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 13th Feb 18, 8:45 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:45 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:45 AM
    Yes, Richer Sounds 6 year warranty is free with TVs but the tv is more expensive than Amazon and I知 not sure how good the warranty is.

I知 also nearer to a John Lewis / Waitrose to be able to return to store if there is a problem. I致e had issues with items from JL before and had visits for repair but had to return to store for replacement. Does the same apply to RS? Getting to a store is not easy....

Thanks all!
    • WaywardDriver
    • By WaywardDriver 13th Feb 18, 11:22 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    WaywardDriver
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:22 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:22 AM
    Insurance is all about Risk (chance of problem happening) and Impact (effect of problem).
    For TV risk may be at a guess 5% and impact is having to pay for repair or buy another TV - neither catastrophic.
    But for house building risk is low say 0.1% but impact is potentially crippling so most would pay for insurance - compulsory anyway for mortgage.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 13th Feb 18, 12:11 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:11 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:11 PM
    The included 5 year guarantee should be good enough at John Lewis.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 13th Feb 18, 1:18 PM
    • 5,759 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    only insure personal things that you are legally obliged to. until apple came along insurance company buildings were the largest in town. there is now a new rip off merchant in town
    Last edited by dipsomaniac; 13-02-2018 at 1:22 PM.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    • 9,947 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Yes, Richer Sounds 6 year warranty is free with TVs but the tv is more expensive than Amazon and I知 not sure how good the warranty is.
    Originally posted by wallofbeans
    The RS warranty is supposed to be pretty good.

Did you know that both JL and RS offer a price match against web offers? It might be worth seeing if either of them will price match the Amazon price, and still give you their free warranties.

Personally, I would only get an extended warranty on an item that was free (or very cheap - below 10% of the item cost). The expensive kind of warranties offered by companies like Currys and Argos are simply not worth buying IMHO.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 13th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    The RS warranty is supposed to be pretty good.

Did you know that both JL and RS offer a price match against web offers? It might be worth seeing if either of them will price match the Amazon price, and still give you their free warranties.

Personally, I would only get an extended warranty on an item that was free (or very cheap - below 10% of the item cost). The expensive kind of warranties offered by companies like Currys and Argos are simply not worth buying IMHO.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    I read that Richer Sounds price match online offers, but I didn't think John Lewis did! I thought they only matched prices of other actual store prices, so that's good to know.

Unfortunately, at the moment it's the Amazon Warehouse Deals 'Used - Like New' that I'm looking at saving money getting as they are more often than not just a slightly damaged box. I doubt either RS or JL will match those...
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    • 9,947 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Unfortunately, at the moment it's the Amazon Warehouse Deals 'Used - Like New' that I'm looking at saving money getting as they are more often than not just a slightly damaged box. I doubt either RS or JL will match those...
    Originally posted by wallofbeans
    No, I doubt they will.

Apologies, yes, you are correct about JL's price match. It is on a like-for-like trading basis, so against High Street competitors. I imagine that click-and-collect prices at those competitors would be included, though.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 14th Feb 18, 2:08 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    mobileron
    Richersounds been in business for 40 years,prices are competitive and service is first class.
    Who is the Amazon company, will they be here in 3 years.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 14th Feb 18, 11:48 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Richersounds been in business for 40 years,prices are competitive and service is first class.
    Who is the Amazon company, will they be here in 3 years.
    Originally posted by mobileron
    This Warehouse Deal is from Amazon, and I think they are here to stay.
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 15th Feb 18, 5:25 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    mobileron
    What make and model are u buying.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,368Posts Today

8,256Users online

Martin's Twitter