Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 12th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    • 7,597Posts
    • 12,729Thanks
    dori2o
    Have you set up your Personal Tax Account?
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    Have you set up your Personal Tax Account? 12th Feb 18 at 9:57 PM
    How many people here have signed up for the Personal tax account online?

This will give you the opportunity to make/request adjustments to your tax code online, check/adjust your estimated income, review previous tax calculations, update medical insurance and company cars, request repayments, print out employment history/pay and tax details, check national insurance contribution details, review your self assessment record, view your state pension forecast, pay underpaid tax, update your tax credits claim and submit tax credit renewals, apply for and check pension contribution lifetime allowance, submit forms online to claim refunds, expenses, tax refunds from pension lump sums, tax refunds from investment income and lots more.

Available 24/7. No queues waiting to speak to someone, updates/forms processed within 5 working days. Ability to track submissions progress.

Go to gov.uk and search for Personal Tax Account

For those who have already, do you use it? If not is there any reason why?

For those who have not, is there a reason why?
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
Page 2
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 9th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 7,597 Posts
    • 12,729 Thanks
    dori2o
    What is the definition of "the old online self assessment system"? Is that a previous SA from years gone by or the current SA? I did my 16-17 tax using SA 2 months ago, was that "the old online self assessment system"?

Since when or to begin when? I submitted my latest SA 2 months ago, did I "access the service via the personal tax account"?

the only way to access the HMRC self assessment service now is either by the Business Tax Account or the PTA. Its been this way now for the last 2 years.

When did this start? My last SA was a blank slate I had to fill in. Is this because it had not started yet or I was not on the new system?

the information is recorded on the PAYE system. Everyone has a record where they have a National Insurance Number, even if they have no live PAYE income. The information doesnt automatically populate onto self assessment but can be viewed within the PTA.

This could always be done, couldn't it? Certainly by phone and letter, it is just one of the simple values that goes into the tax code that can be adjusted during the year. What is new here, that it can now be done online (I presumed was the case already) or that the estimate coming in from banks (each month) can be seen and used similar to say gas or electricity estimates.
    yes it can be reported by phone and by letter, but HMRC are actvely attempting to cut this type of contact by putting the taxpayer more in control of their own taxes.
    You can see the estimates that are currently held on your records for the current year. These are generally based on historic data (from the previous tax year/last SA tax return.

If you need to update the information you can update it and the PTA will show you what your new tax code will be without anyone from HMRC having to process the information from a telephone call, letter or iForm.

All of this seems identical to current except for the last part which I'm not sure I follow, not that it's a vital point for me as I pay on time each year.
    Originally posted by hoc
    in the past only self assessment payments could be paid online. Those who were not in self assessment would be asked to voluntarily pay the tax they owed following issue of an informal assessments the only way to pay where the underpayment could not be collected by restriction to the tax code would be by cheque. These assessments were informal and so no penalties or interest were charged.

If they did not pay these people were sent tax returns to fill in for those years, therefore making the debt legally recoverable. But this came at a cost to HMRC, and therefore to UK taxpayers.

These informal calculations have now been changed to formal calculations, or Simple Assessments. Again, they are issued to people who dont need to do self assessment as they dont meet the criteria. To pay the tax due from these assessments where it cannot be collected via a restriction to the tax code, the taxpayer will be asked to pay via the personal tax account. They will be expected to pay by 31 January following the end of the tax year that the assessment is issued for, or within 3 months and 7 days, whichever is the latter. If they dont pay by the due date they will be issued with penalties and interest charges, just as happens with self assessment.

It means that a lot more people can now be taken out of self assessment where they have simple tax affairs that could be dealt with via the Simple Assessment process.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 10th Mar 18, 12:12 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 2,302 Thanks
    badmemory
    They have taken me out of self assessment. However I have seen a couple of HMRCs assessments of interest income which are frankly totally unrealistic in the modern climate. I do not have a tax code as I do not have an income which is taxable at source. I hope that any tax assessments which are sent out include a note in bold that you should check very carefully that the figures given are (even remotely) correct.

I have serious concerns that if I ever access my personal tax account then I will never receive any info regarding my tax liablility other than on that a/c. So far I have read nothing that addresses that issue.

I fully expect the s*** to hit the fan next year when I finally (many years after it was available) take my non state pension. K code here we come. Please let us know if it is ever possible to have more than half your income taken in tax via PAYE. It would be so nice to simplify things before my son has to use the POA.

If the assessment & the figures that are done for ty 17-18 is correct I will be back & let you know.

PS Nice to see you posting here & hope you are keeping well.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 10th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 6,250 Posts
    • 6,707 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Be nice to have a total figure of tax you have paid in your working life. Nice to know where your salary has gone or mostly
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    But HMRC have no idea of how much tax you have paid in your working life, do they. Income tax, CGT and (after you are dead IHT on your estate, but they have no idea how much you;ve paid in other taxes such as VAT, fuel duty, etc......

If you want to know how much income tax you;ve paid, just keep a runnig totla from your payslips
    • ALASTAIR
    • By ALASTAIR 10th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ALASTAIR
    PAYE Numbers Online?
    I signed up to the online account in an attempt to locate previous PAYE numbers. I was advised I could do this by HMRC when I called up. I have so far been unable to locate my PAYE numbers using the online service and there doesn't seem to be a help page... Does anyone know if its even possible to find PAYE numbers using the online service?! Thanks, A
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 10th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    ALASTAIR

I think it's unlikely anyone on here will be able to help you as your question doesn't really make sense.

PAYE "numbers" is not something I've ever heard of before on these threads.

Do you mean your PAYE tax code, employers reference number, tax actually paid number, National Insurance paid number, tax you should have paid or something else altogether??
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    • 18,780 Posts
    • 12,921 Thanks
    molerat
    Looking for the 2018-19 code is not very intuitive, there is no direct link on the front page. You have to click on the PAYE heading then choose the option. Going through the direct links below the PAYE heading leads to confusion and only by clicking back are you given the necessary options. Those 3 options should be the only ones on the front page, everything else leads from those 3.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • hoc
    • By hoc 10th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    hoc
    OK, I logged into my SA and clicked up/Home and I see now "Personal tax account" as the header. So it was what I had been using all along, the SA form within this "Personal tax account" is no different to previous few years. I do see the additional PAYE, pension, etc. information.

I thought this was that new service where bank interest was going to be automatically communicated to HMRC avoiding having to track and fill in interest income, etc.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 10th Mar 18, 3:00 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 2,302 Thanks
    badmemory
    I thought this was that new service where bank interest was going to be automatically communicated to HMRC avoiding having to track and fill in interest income, etc.
    Originally posted by hoc
    I don't think this is scheduled to happen for the first time until the end of the current tax year. So I guess updated around June! A bit like an employer's P60 info probably.
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 10th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 7,597 Posts
    • 12,729 Thanks
    dori2o
    They have taken me out of self assessment. However I have seen a couple of HMRCs assessments of interest income which are frankly totally unrealistic in the modern climate. I do not have a tax code as I do not have an income which is taxable at source. I hope that any tax assessments which are sent out include a note in bold that you should check very carefully that the figures given are (even remotely) correct.

I have serious concerns that if I ever access my personal tax account then I will never receive any info regarding my tax liablility other than on that a/c. So far I have read nothing that addresses that issue.

I fully expect the s*** to hit the fan next year when I finally (many years after it was available) take my non state pension. K code here we come. Please let us know if it is ever possible to have more than half your income taken in tax via PAYE. It would be so nice to simplify things before my son has to use the POA.

If the assessment & the figures that are done for ty 17-18 is correct I will be back & let you know.

PS Nice to see you posting here & hope you are keeping well.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Within the personal tax account you can choose how to receive any correspondence. Either paperless and available to view online in the tax account, or to keep receiving paper contact.

If you choose to keep paper contact you will receive paper assessments if the calculation shows that you owe tax or HMRC owes you a refund.

No calculation would be issued if you had paid the correct amount.

The personal tax account provides you the perfect opportunity to amend any over/underestimated savings/investment income on your record.

Whilst the banks are supposed to report all of the necessary information to HMRC we have no idea what date this will be done as yet, but ultimately, even if the banks are reporting this information, the taxpayer is still responsible for ensuring that the information is correct.

Therefore I would advise using the PTA to notify your interest/dividends etc as soon as you know the values.

Regarding the issue of tax codes and maximum tax deduction. I can confirm that an employer or pension provider should not be deducting any more than the 'overriding limit' which is a maximum of 50% of the gross taxable payment each pay period.

This is confirmed in The Income Tax (PAYE) Regulations 2003 s2(1)

"overriding limit” means the limit on the amount of tax to be deducted from a relevant payment, where the tax due in accordance with the appropriate tax tables in respect of any taxable payments or total taxable payments to date at the relevant date has been calculated by reference to additional pay or total additional pay to date, and that limit is an amount equal to 50% of the amount of the relevant payment ;
    • Baby Angel
    • By Baby Angel 10th Mar 18, 10:07 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    Baby Angel
    We moved out of UK recently. OH's employer didn't deduct tax properly. So we ended up with unpaid taxes. So he signed up to pay online as advised. However the system only allowed to pay part of the tax. The staff were unable to let us pay the whole amount. We still had to pay by draft but were able to check the status online.
    SPC 08 - #452 - £415
    SPC 09 - #452 - £298
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,255Posts Today

8,139Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin