Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pierrot8
    • By Pierrot8 12th Feb 18, 9:09 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Pierrot8
    Broadband etc
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:09 PM
    Broadband etc 12th Feb 18 at 9:09 PM
    I have been a customer of Virgin through all the incarnations since Cable & Wireless.

I have the basic package with them covering the above and a monthly discount which ends in March.

In total I pay 33/month.

If they continue to give me a discount, they will no doubt try to persuade me to upgrade my package/bundle, which I don't wish to do.

Ultimately I want to keep the broadband with them, I suppose I will be tied in to keeping the landline, but as to TV I ultimately want to move towards Freeview.

How would you suggest I approach all this with them?

Many Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 13th Feb 18, 8:11 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 9,153 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:11 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:11 AM
    VM use different infrastructure from BT so the landline is not tied to the broadband in the same way and you can discontinue it but keep broadband. However, the way they structure their discounts the saving is very small - some have even reported broadband only being more expensive than phone + broadband.

Since I use an ISP that doesn't do discounts, or haggling, or have a retentions department (if you say you're leaving, you leave), I have no idea how you approach them though.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 13th Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    • 10,370 Posts
    • 4,340 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    Phone VM up and tell them either you are leaving or this is the new package you want.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 13th Feb 18, 12:18 PM
    • 2,778 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:18 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:18 PM
    yeah ring um up 150
    select option, you want to leave for another reason.

Tell them its too expensive, and you want to drop the TV package.
    You will probably need to tell um twice, cus they don't like you dropping TV.
    Haggle (tell um Vodafone are doing fibre for 20/month) and you are aware its slower than virgin, but will be fine for you.

They will request the tv box to be returned.
    sometimes a couple of days later, they say you can keep box/freeview channels for free.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,103Users online

Martin's Twitter