Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • richy4
    • By richy4 12th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 146Posts
    • 26Thanks
    richy4
    Documents on completion
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    Documents on completion 12th Feb 18 at 9:02 PM
    Quick question:

I last week completed on a new build. But I've realised that all I really received is the keys! I also got a huge folder with all the user manuals and guarantees of the integrated appliances and the meter readings for the bills etc.

I was given a copy of the lease to sign and return for the developer. I have been chasing a copy of my own via my solicitor since completion...

What else should I have a copy of? I've asked for the SDLT return certificate as soon as the solicitor receives it.

Should I also have a copy of the solicitors searches that were undertaken before completion?

And in regards to the NHBC what is the vital document to have? I've been given access to an online e-portal but is this sufficient?

Overall it feels like I'm lacking much paperwork despite now being a homeowner.
Page 1
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 12th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    I've never bought a new build but have purchased three properties. What you have received and asked for sounds about right. What other paperwork do you want? The searches will need to be redone when you sell, so not worth really having. I've never had SDLT returns, although I have a government gateway account so can check my tax status anytime. With regards to the NHBC so long as the portal provides information about what is guaranteed and how to claim you can probably print off from there if you want hard copies.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Part-time gigger and charity volunteer 2018
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    • 44,068 Posts
    • 52,200 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    Chances are your solicitor will send you a pack once the property is regisered with the Land Registry.

This cannot be done till th SDLT is aid and receipt received from HMRC, so your solicitor is robably doing this.

And the LR may take time to register the property in your name (not sure what their turnaround is for this).

I would not worry. Write to your solicitor in a week or 3 politely asking for all documents once they have completed the purchase process.
    • Tiglet2
    • By Tiglet2 12th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Tiglet2
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    Your solicitor will now be making an application to Land Registry to register you as the owner of the property. Once this is completed, you will receive the title deeds and the lease (and any other original documents that they hold). Might be worth checking how long new build applications at Land Registry are taking, because there is often a backlog. You won't get anything until the application is completed. One week since completion is probably a little early. I do not think you will get the SDLT receipt, although searches are usually sent to you before completion.
    • whatdoyouthink...
    • By whatdoyouthink... 13th Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    whatdoyouthink...
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    I completed on a new build on the 8 December and only received all the documents mentioned above from my solicitor last week.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 13th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    • 7,647 Posts
    • 7,783 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    I do not think you will get the SDLT receipt.
    Originally posted by Tiglet2
    You ought to really - it's your tax return, and you may need the reference for future purposes.
    • ian310567
    • By ian310567 13th Feb 18, 10:32 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ian310567
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:32 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:32 AM
    I've just exchanged contracts on selling a new build (purchased in June 2015) and the buyers solicitors wanted the building regulations completion certificate too, so make sure that you get this from the builder. My local council was able to provide a copy quickly though.

You should also get the NHBC insurance certificate from the builder - the land registry title generally follows about 4-6 weeks later (via your solicitor).
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 13th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    • 3,958 Posts
    • 23,877 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    I'm sure your solicitor will give you a copy of your Stamp Duty Certificate if you ask for it (SDLT5)

The solicitor now needs to do your Land Registry application and as it's a new build, I anticipate it will take longer than a typical Freehold registration.
    Once this is done, the solicitor will be able to send you any relevant paperwork to you/your lender as applicable.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

124Posts Today

1,918Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin