Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 12th Feb 18, 8:05 PM
    • 205Posts
    • 703Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    The future is what you make it
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:05 PM
    The future is what you make it 12th Feb 18 at 8:05 PM
    Newbie here. In December 2016 I had my lightbulb moment when a travel insurance payment got declined. The DIY financial review I did at that point scared the living daylights out of me.

CC1 - 20300 @17.9% (maxed out)
    CC2 - 10500+ 60% @12.9%, 40% @6.9% for its lifetime
    CC3 - 6000+ @18.9%
    CC4 (hubby) - 13k @7.9% (I'll not be documenting his progress here as we're each dealing with our own)

I know exactly how it got that bad. Hubby lost his job shortly after we got our mortgage, followed by periods of ill-health (luckily not coinciding) for both of us, and some (with hindsight) really bad decisions (mostly made by me). Because we never missed a payment on anything, the enormity of the debt was ignored.

In Jan 2017, pretty much as a knee-jerk reaction to the numbers, we decided to try to remortgage. It was a shock to us to be turned down, but we are both glad it happened, as it made us realise that consolidation was not a good idea and we had to tackle the problem at source.

Fast-forward a year and a bit, the unsecured debt has been reduced by 7k, and thanks mostly to balance transfer ping pong, only 5.5k of it is left at a high rate, with the majority being at 0% or 4.9% for at least the next couple of years. I have not used a credit card for 14 months, minimum monthly repayments are down to less than 700 per month, and I'm snowballing repayments onto my highest rate card.

The last year hasn't been smooth. It started with a drop in income of 5k when my second job folded last January, literally days after the remortgage was denied. Then we had car repairs in the high hundreds, followed a few months later by having to scrap the car and find replacement transport (I can do without a car, husband needs one to work), and more recently I had an injury and health scare with some out of pocket medical expenses.

And honestly, we did not cut our spending as much as we could have; it took time to adjust to doing things more mindfully. But on the whole, we really surprised ourselves with how much we were able to claw back in a year. The plan for 2018 was to double down on our efforts, completely splat the debt from the highest interest card and start work on the next one, and aim to clear at least 2k more than the previous year. So far, so good!

Then came the plot twist. Right now I am on the verge of having to take on an extra huge lump of debt which will put us back to square one with cherries on top. No details here other than to say that it is entirely my fault, and is the result of really bad handling of a situation several years ago. The whole thing was totally avoidable and I am disgusted with myself that I allowed it to happen. I will know the true horror within the next two weeks, but if *lucky* it is likely to cost me 400 per month until it has gone. So within a few weeks, the best case scenario is that we will be back where we started with an additional few thousand of unsecured debt on top of our starting point.

We have nobody but each other to talk to about it, so really I'm writing this to get it off my chest and give my husband a rest as it is largely my fault we are in this mess! I am treating the last year of debt repayment as the trial run. We have already made lots of cutbacks, but there ia a lot more we can do - I do need to redo the SOA as it has been a year since I last attempted one.

Currently the stress of the incoming additional debt and the uncertainty over how that is going to pan out is ruining my sleep and concentration, and I am lucky if I go a couple of days without having a fairly big wobble. I need to keep telling myself that we have a year of successful debt tackling under our belts and that although daunting, it is doable. Anything is doable, I just need to keep focus.
    Highs, lows and inbetweens will be documented here. I will be keeping tabs on everything except my OH CC on here.
    Last edited by One-step-at-a-time; 07-05-2018 at 11:34 AM. Reason: same name as another thread
Page 11
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 10th Jul 18, 4:07 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    remote_control
    Sounds good, I do similar with an app called debt planner, its free and it basically just has the debt totals and a dfd
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 12th Jul 18, 9:54 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    Oh lordy, the debit card took a battering last night!

9.70 on food, 20 on a replacement saucepan (very much needed, been putting this off for months), and 14 each on two pairs of jeans (one for me, one for DH). I was really hoping to get through 2018 with no money whatsoever spent on clothes, but when things disintegrate beyond salvage, exceptions sometimes have to be made! I've not done badly getting to July, though. On the plus side, the non-sale price of the jeans would have been 35 per pair so at least our timing was about as good as it could have been, and almost all of the food was on yellow stickers and needed. This brings the remaining budget for the month to 6/day. I'm still hoping to squeeze at least another 8 NSDs out of the next 15 days so it's very tight, but doable. I made pizza dough last night which will be enough for two evening meals, and we still have plenty of food in the freezer and nearly 3/4 of a tank of petrol in the car, which will easily last us as we only have a few small local journeys to do.

Over the last six months, ever since we had to ramp up the repayments, I have come to really, REALLY resent spending money on anything I think of as non-essentials, even if they are actually needs not wants; I'd much rather be throwing it all at the cards!
    LBM: Jan 2017. Total owed: 46993.21
    Current debt: 28525.84 - 39.3% paid
    DFD: May 2021
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 16th Jul 18, 11:50 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    Friday was a lovely night out with friends, paid for months ago and I'd budgeted for one round of drinks. I was up early on Friday morning to sort food out so DH and I could both eat before we went out.

After a quiet Saturday and Sunday, no spending, and collecting loose change from around the house, the budget after work travel is now 7/day for the next ten days, which is perfectly doable. I will be spending a maximum of 1 today on extras we need for tomorrow's dinner, and found a couple of breakfast bars at the back of the cupboard which will top up this week's work food supplies. We'll need bread and milk before the week is out, but I'm not expecting much else to pop up. I sold a print yesterday completely out of the blue, which after tax is 10 straight to the CC. This month's interest has gone on to the CCs but I'm not going to update my signature. Next month's minimum payment on the card I am only paying minimums on have dropped another 10, which will be redirected to the one I'm trying to overpay the most on.

Zero interest so far on any of my ebay listings, which is disappointing - I think I'm going to give FB marketplace a shot instead if I get no bites this week.
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 17th Jul 18, 4:46 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    I ended up with a 2.65 spend yesterday thanks to yellow stickers! My haul was: three packs of pitta bread (to freeze, for lunch supplies) at 5p each, a fresh loaf from the bakery at 20p, Sweet potato wedges with dip to feed 4 for 70p, and a main course steak and pasta meal for two for 1.60. So I went over on my planned spend (and adjusted the meal plan to compensate), but got a main meal, a side, and three weeks of work lunch ingredients for my trouble. Ten days to payday and still on track.
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 24th Jul 18, 4:31 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    Three days to payday and in the clear! An ebay item sold which meant that I can make 30 in overpayments and not run out of money before Friday. We have our meals planned for the rest of the week, the only thing likely to run out is milk, and I've got 6.28 in cash which will be more than enough for the odds and ends that are needed. Any money left over on Thursday night will be chucked at the card too.
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 1st Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    Another flying update - I made it to payday still solvent. August is an expensive month (wedding up north, anniversary party in the midlands - couple of tanks of fuel and a hotel needed) but I'm hoping that the fund-juggling mojo will be strong.

Good news is that MBNA have reinstated my balance transfer offer, which means I can tart a bit of balance between cards a couple times, the net effect of which will be that at least 3k will drop from 4.9% to 3.9% for three years, and another 3k will remain at 4.9% for a few months longer than it's currently fixed for (all with no transfer fees incurred). Yes, it would be nice if I had some low fee 0% offers coming through, but I'll take any positive move that I can, and this bout of juggling will save me at least 90 over the duration of the offer, more if Hfax renew their offer next month and I have a few more weeks to play ping pong.
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 6th Aug 18, 10:42 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    Signature update. The debt in my name has gone up, because I've agreed to use some of my balance transfer to take on the huge car repair bill that hubby had no choice but to put on the CC. It means a backslide of a couple of months, but makes far more sense at 3.9% than at 14.9%. I am feeling a touch deflated but I'm not going to let it derail me.

More annoying than that, the dishwasher died last night - looks like an electronic fault. Haven't yet investigated whether it can be a DIY repair. If it's truly dead, DH will probably kick up a fuss, but it's definitely not essential that we replace it. We've had a good 16 years out of it at least.

A couple of small ebay sales this week means another 20 will arrive in the CC pot shortly, which is a tiny silver lining. The decluttering for ebay has ground to a halt again purely because we've had a lot going on the last couple of weeks, but the week ahead is actually totally clear, so I'm optimistic that I should be able to get some more done.

All but two of my bill payments have gone out now, so it's almost time to revisit the August budget and see just how frugal we have to be over the next three weeks. I did get an email at work this morning about this year's pay negotiations and it's looking like we will get a raise effective August 1st for the first time in a long while, in the region of 20/month after tax.
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 6th Aug 18, 4:54 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    OK, I redid the budget at lunchtime and it's made me very grumpy! I am really not happy with the concept of just paying the scheduled payments this month! However, this month's budget completely blows, due to the expense of the last few days (we were away three days for our friend's wedding, and spent more than 200 on the hotel, fuel and food & drink, so about 50 over budget, despite best efforts to be frugal). After bills I have 240 left in the bank; 45 of this is needed for my commute, the rest has to pay for three weeks of groceries and fuel and anything else that crops up. Our 20th wedding anniversary is coming up this month so it looks like we won't be doing anything to mark it, and we certainly don't have enough spare fuel money to make it to our friends' barbecue mid-month. Bah, humbug!

Right, positive thoughts...
    I did the latest bit of balance transfer at lunchtime. I redid the maths and figured that it was worth using the HFax 0% transfer for 15 months at 3% fee; I may not have paid it off by the end of the offer butit will save me more than 10/month in charges/interest.

Plan of action for this evening:
    1) Put my little travel camera and a couple of lenses up for sale on ebay (it's a 3 final selling fee day today so that's given me a kick up the backside to try to shift the pricier stuff).
    2) Respond to a job enquiry (potential earnings 150 before tax)
    3) Photograph some Lego that a colleague has expressed an interest in
    4) Log in to HMRC to figure out the tax rebate application (I have been dragging my heels on this for a whopping three months, which is really stupid as there's money owed to me)
    5) Check my Circle balance on the offchance I have a couple of quid in there that I've forgotten about.

Those few small actions between them could potentially lead to more than 1000 off the debt over the next few weeks. I'll probably run out of energy before I get it all done, but the faster I act, the less interest I'll be paying down the line.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 6th Aug 18, 8:03 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    The weather is so nice, maybe an outdoor picnic somewhere for your wedding anniversary? Splurge 5 on petrol to go somewhere with a view? Obviously this depends where abouts you live, but most places in the uk are a few miles from some sort of countryside or nice park.
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 6th Aug 18, 11:45 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    I think if anything we'll probably defer it for a week until payday and allocate the entertainment part of next month's budget to a non-pricey cream tea at a cafe we both love - neither of us are great fans of picnics, and I've had just about enough of wasps hanging around my food already this year!
    At least we've never been big on presents so that aspect of it will be no different to normal
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 6th Aug 18, 11:54 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    Update on plan of action:
    1) Put my little travel camera and a couple of lenses up for sale on ebay - partially done - camera listed, lenses to do next time

2) Respond to a job enquiry (potential earnings 150 before tax) - DONE

3) Photograph some Lego that a colleague has expressed an interest in - NOT DONE - if I am conscious early enough in the morning I can take pics on my phone in daylight and email them to her.

4) Log in to HMRC to figure out the tax rebate application (I have been dragging my heels on this for a whopping three months, which is really stupid as there's money owed to me)- NOT DONE but I know the score now - I need to apply via my SA form which I was planning to submit later this month anyway, and I can claim all the way back to 2014-15. Might ring them in the morning anyway for clarification; they may take pity and sort it over the phone as it's for my FT employment not my self-employed bits.

5) Check my Circle balance on the offchance I have a couple of quid in there that I've forgotten about.- DONE - no money in there.

Bonus: Yellow label bonanza. Sorted out a good chunk of this week's grocery shopping for the grand total of 9.25 (saving 14) - all stuff that was already on the shopping list, including freezable meat marked down by 80%, and four pints of skimmed milk which will last a good few days for 10p.
    Last edited by One-step-at-a-time; 06-08-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 7th Aug 18, 10:40 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    Good start to the morning. Online banking was done for the day by 8am, the last but one of the large bills for the month has been paid, and another 10 has been sliced off BCard from one of the ebay sales, bringing the outstanding balance on that card to 2261.

I've decided to go Dave Ramsay on it for the rest of the year, as it has the highest interest rate and the lowest balance - the Hfax card has been my priority, but with the transfer shuffles now in place it makes a lot more sense to change tack.

If I keep the monthly payments at their current level, the end of year balance (accounting for interest) would be around 1810, so my motivation for the rest of this year is to get shot of the rest. I need to raise 362 extra per month from now until the end of December . It's a pretty aggressive target and would mean that the DFD would come forward by 2-3 months

I've scratched my head for ways that I could possibly do it, and come up with the following:
    600 - target for camera gear sales
    400 - outstanding (post-tax) money owed from completed freelance jobs
    120 - profit from newly agreed freelance work from last night's email
    200 - target for online/in person print sales
    150 - target for lego sale
    200 - target for other misc ebay sales (I still have a LOT of stuff to shift)
    140 - estimated tax refund
    = 1810

I may have to take the tax relief/rebate out of the equation, as I don't know how long after I submit my return that I'll get the refund, but other than that it isn't looking totally impossible! It's a shame the hoped-for overtime at work hasn't materialised; quite understandably they've prioritised people on lower grades who don't cost as much as I would to work weekends.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 7th Aug 18, 5:33 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Cream tea sounds good. It's amazing what you see as a 'splurge' when you are intensively paying down debt lol!

Good luck with the raising extra cash. I really ought to look at selling things but I just don't have the patience.
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 7th Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    Cream tea sounds good. It's amazing what you see as a 'splurge' when you are intensively paying down debt lol!
    Originally posted by Drawingaline
    It is, isn't it? I have to be really careful with not getting too obsessive about it, there is such a thing as being over-frugal to the point of causing arguments!

Good luck with the raising extra cash. I really ought to look at selling things but I just don't have the patience.
    Originally posted by Drawingaline
    Thanks! Oh, my patience appears sporadically and is good for at best a couple of hours at a time, using ebay is like getting teeth pulled!

I nipped into the supermarket on the way home and the yellow sticker mojo was strong again; I spent 13.78 tonight, again practically all of it on things that are already on our shopping list, and saved 72% off the undiscounted price. So that's a total of 23.73 on shopping this week, and enough food for us to eat really well for at least the next ten days, including some cuts of meat normally out of our price range. I may have to spend up to 5 on muesli and eggs before the week is out, but that low a spend for that much time for two adults (one of whom is 6'3" and a bottomless hunger pit) is not too shabby.
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 8th Aug 18, 1:46 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    AARGH. I was annoyed with an ebay buyer this morning - they were dragging their heels on payment, so I logged in to give them a prod to find that they are in Portugal when the listing clearly says UK postage only. We've sorted it and I've relisted the item, but that's 14 after fleabay fees that I won't be paying off Bcard this month

Oh well, at least I earned nearly 5 on Prolific last night...
    As a knee-jerk reaction to this I decided to try to shave a bit off September's costs (we have a couple of things in September requiring overnight stops, one stop was paid for last year, but so far I have shaved 12.20 off the other one by swapping hotels. Every little challenge just means looking harder for an answer
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 9th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    It appears that a substantial ebay sale has been made! Buyer has already paid, and I have cleared 411 after fees and postage. There's a lot to be said for waiting until fleabay has a low selling fees promotion! Happy bunny! There is a small measure of paranoia at play because I inherently don't trust people and am fearful about being ripped off, but I will take pictures of the item at every stage of packing, and I'm using insured courier delivery, so everything *should* be OK. Once it's all clear, that's 22.7% of my December target met, which is a brilliant start. BCard you are going DOWN. I will actually pay the 411 off MBNA's 4.9% balance and then move the same amount from Barclaycard at 6.9% to MBNA at 3.9% with no fee and save myself another pound a month while I'm at it.

I'm also confused by a payment from my old camera insurance which appears to be a refund of 36.60. I'm not going to allocate it to anything because I wasn't aware that I'd made any overpayments, and it could vanish as quickly as it arrived, so I'm going to move it to the tax savings pot for now (just so it doesn't sit in my current account). I will need to query it with them, but if it's not a mistake then balancing next month's budget will be a bit easier.

I just need to sit on my hands for a bit before shuffling anything else around. I'm also waiting on two CC statements to show in my account - I'm always much happier once they have landed and I can update my spreadsheet with the totals left at each transfer rate.

As things stand now I still have 190 to last 18 days of which 34.50 is needed for transport, and no need to do a food shop until next week, so August is still on track.
    Last edited by One-step-at-a-time; 09-08-2018 at 3:14 PM.
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 10th Aug 18, 11:47 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    The continuing saga of balance ping pong. This morning HFax have withdrawn the fee-free transfer I've been using to bounce balances, so that's reinforced yesterday's decision to divert more funds to MBNA and use that to transfer/reduce the BCard balance as quickly as I can. I am so glad that I am checking everything daily so that the changes don't come as too much of a shock.

I did more shopping last night on the way home in M&S of all places, I was originally going for a NSD yesterday, but spotted a bunch of expensive and freezable ready meals down to 65/70p each, so we now have a freezer that's pretty stuffed with reasonably priced meals, and I am keeping a careful tally of the food spends. All still on target.
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 10th Aug 18, 7:11 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    Oh, I am FUMING right now. This week's progress has been more or less wiped out by DH and an appliance engineer callout. Apparently he can't live without a dishwasher, FFS.
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 13th Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    I have let my bad mood from the dishwasher incident float away - it's done and he knows why I am mad about it. He's got some extra work this week so will be paying for the repair.

There's another 1 final selling fees offer on ebay valid until midnight tonight. DH helped me list a few things yesterday which if sold could net another 200+ and has promised to lend a hand again today. I have one sale ending today which will clear another 7.50

Over the weekend I made an extra 30, and paid just under half of it to the CC to round the number down. I'm waiting for feedback to come in on my ebay sales before I move any cash out of PayPal, but am looking forward to being able to pay at least 400 off the CC later this week.

There was another unexpected yellow sticker bonanza last night when I went out to buy beansprouts to accompany the bargain chinese food I got from M&S - came home with no beansprouts, but stocked the fridge and freezer with another 30 of supplies for 1 - every item I bought, including fish fillets and beef quarter pounders, was down to 10p. I was very please with myself for not buying anything that wasn't either a freezable main course or something that would fit in with an existing meal plan. I now have enough main meals in the fridge and freezer to take us right through to payday, so spends on food for the next fortnight will be minimal.

So all in all things are still ticking along - all of the food shopping luck over the last week has meant that we are on track for our smallest monthly food spend in over a year, and I'm currently at nearly 25% of my 1810 by December target.
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 14th Aug 18, 10:53 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    Checking in with myself this morning. Available money after travel is tight for the next 13 days. However, the next four days will be NSDs as I don't need to buy any food whatsoever. We have a friend's barbecue on Saturday and enough fuel to get there and back comfortably. I'm taking cake and crumble that I already have all the ingredients for, and a bottle of rum that we've had in the cupboard for more than a year. Also driving to see a friend on Sunday, no travel or food money needed there either, so it *should* be possible to get to the end of the weekend with no movement in the bank account. Next week I'll need to buy milk and possibly bread and a bit of salad veg to augment the grocery supplies, but shouldn't *need* to spend more than 5 thanks to having so much stuff in the fridge/freezer, and I can probably raid a good chunk of that from the loose change piggy bank.

Basically I need to save as much of what's left as possible for the bank holiday weekend. We're away, and staying with friends, but I know we're going to need enough for fuel and at least two cheap meals out of the house.

I *should* have:
    75 in the bank
    10 available from surveys
    15 unallocated PayPal funds after paying CC
    plus I can borrow a tiny bit from the EF if I need to, but I'd rather not!

***edit*** I didn't include our wedding anniversary in the list. We decided not to do anything extra this month and wait until we're a bit more flush instead, just have home-made cake and cocktails on the day.
    Last edited by One-step-at-a-time; 14-08-2018 at 3:27 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,021Posts Today

6,372Users online

Martin's Twitter