Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • platterfish
    • By platterfish 8th May 17, 10:55 PM
    • 415Posts
    • 351Thanks
    platterfish
    Octopus Energy £50 cashback
    • 8th May 17, 10:55 PM
    Octopus Energy £50 cashback 8th May 17 at 10:55 PM
    Join octopus energy for Electricity/Gas using the referral link

https://share.octopus.energy/green-louse-564 and

You'll get £50 free cashback / £50 free credit for joining. A great bonus and a which? Recommended supplier.

They are very well priced, get fantastic reviews and have great service - and they feature in Martin's cheap energy club. The website is simple, bills are accurate and I'm glad I switched.

For transparency I'll get the same for referring then you can start to refer also!

Thanks, you won't be dissapointed!
    Last edited by platterfish; 26-08-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Page 5
    • Kingharmeet
    • By Kingharmeet 27th Aug 18, 12:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kingharmeet
    Octopus provided the most sensible option in my eyes. Searched around and looked on USwitch and Octopus seemed the most reliable (through Trustpilot), there was no early exit fee and the cheapest option bearing this criteria in mind.

I used the kind person's code who posted before me so would appreciate if someone would reciprocate.

share.octopus.energy/funny-woods-234

Thanks very much and greatly appreciated
    • TheRealPlodder
    • By TheRealPlodder 27th Aug 18, 8:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TheRealPlodder
    I love the internet!
    Thanks Kingharmeet! Please enjoy your reward, for sure I will!

So... I've been with First Utility for ages. They have been slowly getting less competitive, pricewise, and this year I decided to do some research. That was complicated a bit by the presentation of data that comparison sites use. The headline figure for the amount of money that can be saved by changing suppliers is calculated by assuming that when your current tariff ends, your provider will switch you to a default tariff, usually variable, that isn't the best value. This can artificially inflate that headline amount by a lot. I found I had to do a tariff-by-tariff comparison of unit charges and standing charges to get a better idea of how the cost was going to change.

I was buying my energy year by year, so I looked at fixed annual terms. Fixed for the next year, First Utility ("First Fixed November 2019 v3 Online") are offering Gas at 3.9p per KWh up from my old rate of 2.9p That's nearasdammit a 33% hike. Then I discovered "Flexible Octopus" tariff is their cheapest projected tariff for me, and offers gas at 3.1p. Your mileage will vary, but as I use around 21,000 KWh of gas a year, that's over £160 that stays in my pocket already. Electricity per KWh was due to go up from just under 13.8p to just over 17p. Octopus price is just under 14.7p. Projected usage of2700 KWh of juice means I'll save over £60 there. Not bad. Their standing charges are competitive too, just over 18p a day for electricity and just under 17p a day for gas. First Utility charges just under 18p and just over 15p respectively, so I'll be paying a couple of p extra or so per day, or around £7.30 on the year but the savings far outweigh this little increase.

Octopus energy scored very highly on reviews. The Which writeup was particularly impressive, and the fact that Octopus was chosen by Ofgem to take over 90,000 accounts when another small provider failed, impressed me. That story is covered on this site, but Big Brother says I can't post links... so have a search for "octopus-energy-to-take-on-iresas-customers---heres-what-you-need-to-know" and you'll find it. It shows they have the resources to step up to the mark if push comes to shove.

My First Utility tariff runs out in a couple of days so to get myself some breathing space I took the plunge and signed up to the "Flexible Octopus" tariff for now. There's no exit fees, so if you find a better supplier, it's easy to swap again.

Octopus uses smart meters where possible and they offer an interesting tariff if you're not using much electricity at peak periods (late afternoon and early evening). More on that here but again I can't post a direct link as they think I might be spamming, even though the link is to a page on this site, so googling "an-energy-firm-claims-its-new-tariff-may-pay-you-to-use-electricity---but-beware-the-hype-" will get you there.

Octopus also have a "Tracker tariff" that follows wholesale prices. More homework to do to see how that works... it would be worth bearing in mind if the news headlines start telling us how solar is bringing the prices down. At the moment charges are very similar to the "Flexible" tariff, but prices change daily so if you're keen on knowing what your expenditure is going to be, this one might not be for you.

Anyhow, I hope reading this has helped you decide if Octopus are the best provider for you too, and will save you some money. Feel free to paste this link into your browser and we can both enjoy £50 cashback too!

share.octopus.energy/sunny-eve-365

Wishing you well and happy shopping!
    Last edited by TheRealPlodder; 27-08-2018 at 9:11 PM.
    • CJG123
    • By CJG123 28th Aug 18, 10:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CJG123
    Thanks TheRealPlodder, I found your post most useful and I have returned the favour!

I'm interested in the new smart meters due out at the end of the year. Is anyone else waiting for these or going with the v.1 meters? Thanks guys

Anyone wishing to have £50 cashback paste this into your browser!

share.octopus.energy/dusk-eland-954
    • Phudson
    • By Phudson 29th Aug 18, 7:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Phudson
    Cash Back
    I've just changed Gas/Electricity to Octopus

To get your £50 cashback use the link below;

share.octopus.energy/rainy-shark-644
    • shamile
    • By shamile 30th Aug 18, 3:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    shamile
    Here's my unused code that will get you £50 credit towards your new bill if you sign up using it.

share.octopus.energy/smart-crab-297

Simply copy and paste the link to a new tab/window in your browser and follow the instructions.
    • greenchilly
    • By greenchilly 1st Sep 18, 1:14 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    greenchilly
    Copy and paste into google and begin saving ! >>> share.octopus.energy/rust-human-137
    • Andrew1974
    • By Andrew1974 7th Sep 18, 1:24 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Andrew1974
    Hi everyone,

Someone here kindly shared their link and I received a £50 credit to my account with Octopus a few days after the switch over.

I thought I would share my link if that is okay. You will receive £50 too.

https://share.octopus.energy/peach-hippo-191
    • Stod180
    • By Stod180 7th Sep 18, 11:41 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stod180
    Octopus Energy £50 free
    Switched to Octopus because of their really competitive rates and their positive feedback. So far so good and a £50 bonus for using the referral code. Use this code if your switching for £50 when you register. Copy & paste

share.octopus.energy/
    sky-hippo-644

Disclosure I also receive the same.
    Last edited by Stod180; 11-09-2018 at 1:37 PM.
    • Charlie Paris
    • By Charlie Paris 9th Sep 18, 6:09 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Charlie Paris
    My research and my £50 link
    I clicked on Andrew1974's link and it immediately said I'd get £50...perfect! So here's my referral link - please copy and paste to get £50 and I will too (see below for what I use it for) share.octopus.energy/quiet-emu-276

I will donate half of my referral to a tiny charity called Interface Uganda which is led by two plastic surgeons from Exeter. Google for more info.

Don't know if anyone's interested but thought I'd explain why I decided to go with Octopus:
    I was with first utility and didn't get round to switching until they put me on their variable rate. When I got my act together I got a shock at how much it had gone up so searched around - I have been quite thorough using cheap energy club, comparethemarket and uswitch. In the end it was a toss up between PurePlanet and Octopus.

PurePlanet was cheaper but only one year old and the trusted reviews weren't great. I checked the news and they were also about to put their prices up so not sure the quote would have been so good after 3rd October. I'm planning to keep an eye on them in the future though. Then I checked Octopus - very good reviews, M&S were moving to them and I couldn't see anything that caused any concern about moving away from the big companies.

Just a note - you have to click on the link to get the £50. Rather stupidly I started a quote by going to their website then I realised that I didn't get the £50 doing it that way so came back to this page and used the link.

Hope this helps someone!

PS Stod180 - I couldn't get your link to work
    • jonpca
    • By jonpca 10th Sep 18, 9:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jonpca
    Thanks
    Thanks to the thread starter, and thank you Charlie Paris as I used your link. Here's my link for the next person in the chain, but it will need to be copied and pasted as I can't post links as a new user.

share.octopus.energy/snow-shrew-367
    Last edited by jonpca; 10-09-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    • meepeedee
    • By meepeedee 11th Sep 18, 9:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    meepeedee
    Looking good
    Have just signed up, pretty simple and painless to be honest!

Have used John’s £50 bonus link - now sharing mine to pay it forward:

share.octopus.energy/sweet-bison-495

Thanks!
    • Al Ross
    • By Al Ross 12th Sep 18, 8:33 AM
    • 481 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Al Ross
    If you want to switch to Octopus and if you switch via my link we will both receive £50.

Just click on my link it takes you straight there.

https://share.octopus.energy/smart-bee-57
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 12th Sep 18, 10:39 AM
    • 33,845 Posts
    • 39,975 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Only post your referral once in the thread please
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • smithers1981
    • By smithers1981 12th Sep 18, 12:21 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    smithers1981
    Referral link
    Hi all with bulb hiking their energy prices AGAIN i have just switched to Octopus using referral link above me (al Ross) If any moneysavers would like to also switch please can you use my link you will get £50 credit as will i.

Nice to share the £50 referral bonus around like waiting in traffic each car lets one other out.

Octopus one of the bigger smaller companies and in top 4 cheapest but with £50 referral and good feedback seems no brainer! Also no exit fees plus you can refer too.

Thanks in advance

oops referral link:

https://share.octopus.energy/best-teal-591
    • raymilne
    • By raymilne 12th Sep 18, 8:11 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    raymilne
    Hi Folks,

Thank you to smithers1981 for the link above!

Got notification today that Bulb were raising their prices, costing at extra £132 per year. Octopus came highly recommended, with the following MSE customer service ratings, and they were a lot cheaper than Bulb, so decided to give them a go.

93% Great, 6% Okay, 1% Poor (245 votes)

If you'd like to sign up to Octopus, I'd very much appreciate if you could use my link below. You'll get £50, as will I, and then you could post your own referral link to get a further £50.

share.octopus.energy/witty-peach-847

Thanks!
    • Tony62
    • By Tony62 13th Sep 18, 1:34 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tony62
    Octopus Energy Referral Link £50 Credit
    I have been with Octopus for two years and I like them.

If you sign up via a referral link they will credit you with £50 towards future energy bills.

Copy the following link in your web browser.. It takes you to the Octopus website, where you can switch to them:

share.octopus.energy/lemon-snow-194
    • ToBAS
    • By ToBAS 15th Sep 18, 9:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ToBAS
    Thanks Pingu1, liked your username so used your code
    If anyone wants to use my code, it's share.octopus.energy/gray-loris-301
    • SamMoneySaver
    • By SamMoneySaver 15th Sep 18, 11:27 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    SamMoneySaver
    If anyone is looking to change their energy supplier, how about giving Octopus a go? It's green with 100% renewable electricity on all their tariffs, customer support available seven days a week, has no associated exit fees and has been saving me just short of £100 a month. ��

It was also been voted as the uSwitch energy supplier of the year. With their fantastic refer-a-friend scheme, we will both have our accounts credited £50 with each successful referral. ��

http://bit.ly/OctopusEnergy£50
    Love Saving others Money
    • 1974Stephen
    • By 1974Stephen 17th Sep 18, 12:01 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    1974Stephen
    Hello everybody.

Just to say that I got £50 credited to my account shortly after the change over. Thanks to a member here sharing a link. Really glad this thread was started.

So now, I am posting my link. If you would like £50 credited to your Octopus account, please click on this and then come back and post your link.

https://share.octopus.energy/warm-heron-124

Thanks everyone for helping us save money.
    Last edited by 1974Stephen; 17-09-2018 at 12:04 AM.
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 17th Sep 18, 10:16 AM
    • 3,276 Posts
    • 25,739 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    I highly recommend Octopus - straightforward and seamless switch process and great communication

Get £50 on your energy account for every friend you refer
    (they get £50 too)
    https://share.octopus.energy/noble-brook-462
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 17-09-2018 at 4:03 PM.
    Make £5 per day Jan - June 18: £818.96/£905.00 Make £5 per day July 18: £24.63/£155 Make £5 per day Aug: £122.68/£155 Make £5 per day Sept: £442.99/£150 Make £5 per day Oct: £87.12/£155 Make £5 per day Nov: £2/£150
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,758Posts Today

7,946Users online

Martin's Twitter