Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • run_rabbit55
    • By run_rabbit55 12th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 22Thanks
    run_rabbit55
    Faulty item my rights
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    Faulty item my rights 12th Feb 18 at 6:44 PM
    So i brought a laptop from tesco direct just before Christmas so is under 3 months old. It has suddenly stopped working. Ive rang tesco and they at first told me to contact the manufacture. I argued this Wasnt fair as my contract was with tesco not acer. Am i entitled to a full refund? They have proposed to send it to acer to be repaired but ideally i would preference a refund?
Page 1
    • baza52
    • By baza52 12th Feb 18, 7:01 PM
    • 2,139 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    baza52
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:01 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:01 PM
    Tesco are within their rights to repair or replace the laptop if they want to.
    You can ask for a refund but not demand it.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 12th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    Tesco are within their rights to repair or replace the laptop if they want to.
    You can ask for a refund but not demand it.
    Originally posted by baza52
    Plus they can appoint the manufacturer or another third party to act as an agent providing the remedy.

OP you can ask Tesco to contact Acer for you, but far quicker to do it yourself.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 13th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 12,155 Posts
    • 9,524 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    Plus they can appoint the manufacturer or another third party to act as an agent providing the remedy.

OP you can ask Tesco to contact Acer for you, but far quicker to do it yourself.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    In these circumstances (less than 6 months from purchase) it would be wise imo to go via the retailer. If the retailer use the manufacturer to effect a repair and goods are still faulty after the repair or if the repair takes more than a reasonable time then OP can insist on a refund.

However if OP goes to manufacturer, they may be required to pay postage, if the repair takes too long then they'd be stuck unless the warranty terms put a time limit on it and theres probably not any warranty terms entitling them to a full refund if the repair fails and the goods are still faulty.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,625Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter