Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BeaBea1
    • By BeaBea1 12th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BeaBea1
    Mortgage application and electoral roll
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    Mortgage application and electoral roll 12th Feb 18 at 6:11 PM
    Hello. First time poster here. After a year in the planning my German husband and I (British) and our two kids are returning to live in the UK. We already have a rental property sorted and we plan to live there for about a year while we acquire a decent credit profile in order for us to apply for a mortgage to buy a house in 12 to 18 months time. My husband will continue to work for a German company and commute to Germany when he needs to or work from home. Today I found out that he can't get on the electoral roll without an NI number. He won't be able to get an NI number because he doesn't work in the UK. No Electoral roll equals no mortgage. Really don't know what to do next. Does anyone know if you can still apply for a mortgage with other forms of ID? We are gutted.
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 12th Feb 18, 6:31 PM
    • 33,188 Posts
    • 17,925 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:31 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:31 PM
    No Electoral roll equals no mortgage.
    Where have you got that from? People in the UK on visas can't vote, but still get a mortgage.

Seek assistance from an experienced independent broker.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • BeaBea1
    • By BeaBea1 12th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BeaBea1
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    Thanks Kingstreet for your reply. I thought it was a dealbreaker if you weren't on the electoral roll? Read that on here, on Matin's advice for getting yourself in the best shape for a mortgage. Yes, I always planned to speak to a broker, just got a bit of a shock today when enquiring with the local authority about registering on ER.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 12th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    • 33,188 Posts
    • 17,925 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    Like I said, people who can't register on the electoral roll still get mortgages, so what you have ascertained/assumed is incorrect.

Yes, it's helpful, and if you can join the electoral roll, you should certainly do so...

...it is certainly not a deal-breaker. Just beware of lenders who insist on a three year UK address history. You'll have a limited number of perhaps two or three lenders open to you.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • BeaBea1
    • By BeaBea1 12th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BeaBea1
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    Ok, thanks once again.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 12th Feb 18, 7:55 PM
    • 7,383 Posts
    • 7,447 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:55 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:55 PM
    He won't be able to get an NI number because he doesn't work in the UK.
    Originally posted by BeaBea1
    Where did you get that from? I'm pretty sure he can get one if he has the right to work in the UK - which he (for the meantime!) does.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 12th Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    • 58,216 Posts
    • 51,580 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    My husband will continue to work for a German company and commute to Germany when he needs to or work from home.
    Does the German Company concerned have a UK operation.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • BeaBea1
    • By BeaBea1 12th Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BeaBea1
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    No Thrugelmir, based entirely in Germany.

Davidmcn, maybe I have misunderstood that bit then. Do you think he can have a NI number without working and with no intention of working in the UK?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 12th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    • 58,216 Posts
    • 51,580 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    Do you think he can have a NI number without working and with no intention of working in the UK?
    How frequent will the work related trips back to Germany be?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • BeaBea1
    • By BeaBea1 12th Feb 18, 9:26 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BeaBea1
    At least once a month? As he can work from home.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 12th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 7,383 Posts
    • 7,447 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Davidmcn, maybe I have misunderstood that bit then. Do you think he can have a NI number without working and with no intention of working in the UK?
    Well, where did you get your understanding from?

According to the government's website:

You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 12th Feb 18, 10:32 PM
    • 58,216 Posts
    • 51,580 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    At least once a month? As he can work from home.
    Then worth looking into his tax status.
    • BeaBea1
    • By BeaBea1 13th Feb 18, 6:55 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BeaBea1
    Will do. Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

297Posts Today

3,574Users online

Martin's Twitter