Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JC1988
    • By JC1988 12th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JC1988
    Need Help With New House Kitchen
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    Need Help With New House Kitchen 12th Feb 18 at 6:01 PM
    Hello everyone,

My Fiance and I have had an offer accepted on our first home. It's a 1950s semi in a superb area but is very basic and needs lots of modernising (this is what we wanted, something to add value to). The Kitchen is the biggest priority for us both as it is microscopic at the minute and the fittings are right on the border of being liveable for us.

Our ideal solution would be to knock through into the dining room to create a kitchen/diner and extend the house several m back into the garden. The trouble is all of our savings have gone towards the deposit so an extension is off the table for several years (unless we try and take additional loan which scares me too much as mortgage is already 225k).

The difficulty is that not having a kitchen/diner at very good standard close to when we move in is a deal breaker for my other half. I'm trying to think of ways that we could have the kitchen of her dreams without taking on additional debt before we've even moved in.

We could knock through kitchen/diner and put the bells and whistles kitchen in there. However, even with combined kitchen/diner the shape/size of the space is not ideal and knowing that we want to extend in the next 2-4 years, we don't want to pay for a kitchen in an odd space only to have to gut it in a few years.

One option which seems a good idea to me is to knock through kitchen/diner and bring to good decorative standard. We can buy free standing kitchen units to have a very nice kitchen to see us through until we can afford extension. Then we either, sell the free standing units, or adapt into the new extended kitchen diner.

Just trying to see if anyone has been in a similar situation as us, or if anyone has any ideas on what we can do.?

Thanks
Page 1
    • phill99
    • By phill99 12th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 8,055 Posts
    • 7,287 Thanks
    phill99
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    Or find a different house.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    • 24,812 Posts
    • 92,111 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    My Fiance and I have had an offer accepted on our first home.
    The difficulty is that not having a kitchen/diner at very good standard close to when we move in is a deal breaker for my other half.

I'm trying to think of ways that we could have the kitchen of her dreams s
    Originally posted by JC1988
    Or find a different house.
    Originally posted by phill99
    ....Or a different OH.

Being serious for a moment, if you are thinking of taking-on a doer-upper, it's very important you both enjoy the journey. There are excellent reasons for buying an older property, but a true appreciation of what's involved in refurbishment is vital, as is a love of doing the work and learning along the way.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 12th Feb 18, 7:54 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:54 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:54 PM
    Woah! Sounds like too high maintenance. Now, onto the house...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Feb 18, 11:43 PM
    • 25,467 Posts
    • 54,163 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:43 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:43 PM
    ....Or a different OH.

Being serious for a moment, if you are thinking of taking-on a doer-upper, it's very important you both enjoy the journey. There are excellent reasons for buying an older property, but a true appreciation of what's involved in refurbishment is vital, as is a love of doing the work and learning along the way.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Perhaps aim to have your compromise option for a little longer? It's amazing what you can put up with if it's well-designed and functional.

However a small kitchen that you can't actually use would be a dealbreaker for me, and I'm not even an active cook. Don't underestimate how miserable a minute kitchen will have on your life, each and every day. Most people look forward to a nice meal in the evening, that's off the table if it's too big a chore.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

4,497Users online

Martin's Twitter