Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 12th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    • 765Posts
    • 927Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    Unoccupied house following death
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    Unoccupied house following death 12th Feb 18 at 5:00 PM
    Mother has passed on to higher and greater things. Her bungalow is now empty, I have managed to continue the current house insurance at present but all companies want it inspected every 7 days.

Unfortunately I live 3 hours away and am going to find it difficult - has anyone used any companies / organisations to check on property in these circumstances?
Page 1
    • Linton
    • By Linton 12th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    • 9,387 Posts
    • 9,519 Thanks
    Linton
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    As my father's house was on the market the EA agreed to do the inspection for a small charge.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 12th Feb 18, 5:16 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 819 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:16 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:16 PM
    Is there a reliable neighbour/local friend who could do with a few s?

In my experience, estate agents don't check the property. I went through CCTV to see if our's stuck to their word, and they never went anywhere near unless showing a prospective buyer round. That part of their fee went unpaid!

Solicitors also tend to charge a full hour fee for inspection, and that could amount to 250ish a week.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 12th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    • 9,387 Posts
    • 9,519 Thanks
    Linton
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    Our EA did check the house - he used the toilet and found that it wouldnt flush as the water was turned off. But you didnt want to know that.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 12th Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 8,418 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    You could see whether there is anyone such as a dog walking / pet-sitting/ house-sitting service who might be willing to do a regular visit. Reputable pet sitters should already have insurance and in many cases, a DBS check
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 12th Feb 18, 7:56 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:56 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:56 PM
    Thanks for suggestions - gives me some ideas to look into, it is a small town with a couple of non-chain estate agents so might start there. Most neighbours are aged and infirm (trouble with rows of bungalows built in the late 80s') so may be a bit much to ask them.
    • nom de plume
    • By nom de plume 13th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    • 685 Posts
    • 644 Thanks
    nom de plume
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    Maybe employ a local gardener to pop round once a week? As well as a check it will make it look inhabited by keeping it tidy?
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 13th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    Most estate agents have cleaners they use for some properties. You could ask to be put in touch, and request an hour a week, to keep the place ticking over, and it will look better for selling / renting. The expense can come out of the estate. I know there are some agencies that wouldn't do such a small amount, but a lot will.
    It may also be worth asking the neighbours - as someone already in the street to do some cleaning might welcome an extra hour with no extra travelling.
    I am not a 'newbie' by the way - got caught in the 'password change' debacle!
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 13th Feb 18, 8:10 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:10 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:10 PM
    Ended up meeting a neighbour and happened to offer to help out, he is currently doing the same for the house next door to him - the owner is in a care home and family live even further away from there than we do. turns out he had helped mother with a few things eg TV not working in the past. Looks like that might be one less thing to sort out !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

553Posts Today

5,631Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin