Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jamesmwalker
    • By jamesmwalker 12th Feb 18, 4:30 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jamesmwalker
    Black Box Car Insurance Cancelled
    • 12th Feb 18, 4:30 PM
    Black Box Car Insurance Cancelled 12th Feb 18 at 4:30 PM
    Today I found out my car insurance has been cancelled when I received an email asking me to return my black box device. I phoned the company and they told me it has been cancelled due to the fact the black box has not been recording any journeys. I have not used the car in two months due to living close to work and supermarkets, etc. so obviously it would not be recording any journeys. I have checked over my policy and I'm pretty confident there is no minimum mileage clause.

I am stuck now because they cannot/will not reinstate my policy and getting cover anywhere else will be very difficult now this policy has been cancelled.

Any information on what my next steps could/should be would be very much appreciated.
Page 1
    • rs65
    • By rs65 12th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    • 5,343 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    rs65
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    There will be a section on cancellation rights. Make sure they have followed it to the letter. If not, put in a complaint.
    • stator
    • By stator 12th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 6,157 Posts
    • 4,070 Thanks
    stator
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    Put in a formal complaint, if they don't resolve then you go to the ombudsmen
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 12th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    I'd imagine they would have sent letters/emails warning this was about to happen, what happened to these?
    • jamesmwalker
    • By jamesmwalker 12th Feb 18, 11:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamesmwalker
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:59 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:59 PM
    I received a few emails asking me to make sure my black box was plugged in correctly, each time I checked and my black box was indeed plugged in
    • jamesmwalker
    • By jamesmwalker 13th Feb 18, 12:01 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamesmwalker
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:01 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:01 AM
    I made a complaint via telephone today and was escalated to the manager within the call centre. He told me that my complaint has been received, recorded and shut via the same phone call as they cannot reinstate my insurance policy,
    • stator
    • By stator 13th Feb 18, 12:30 AM
    • 6,157 Posts
    • 4,070 Thanks
    stator
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:30 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:30 AM
    Ask for a copy of their complaints procedure.
    Send a complaint in writing.
    Telephone is useless, can't prove anything
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 13th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    BooJewels
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    I received a few emails asking me to make sure my black box was plugged in correctly, each time I checked and my black box was indeed plugged in
    Originally posted by jamesmwalker
    Presumably they thought you'd disengaged the black box and were driving without it, which might be a breach of the terms of your insurance - hence the cancellation. Did you reply at the time reiterating that it was connected, but the car wasn't in active use at the time?

I have checked over my policy and I'm pretty confident there is no minimum mileage clause.
    by jamesmwalker
    But is there one about the black box remaining connected etc?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,135Posts Today

7,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin