Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • donnie-cov
    • By donnie-cov 12th Feb 18, 4:09 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 0Thanks
    donnie-cov
    What is my body fat %
    • 12th Feb 18, 4:09 PM
    What is my body fat % 12th Feb 18 at 4:09 PM
    Hi so i used the boots shop machine thats weighs bodyfat percentage and weight and height etc. And from last month it was 17.6% and i started bulking and i checked today ( one month later ) and the bf percentage says 10.9% Which i Know is complete Bull When i haven't even been cutting or any cardio.

So is there anywhere in the uk i can get a body fat percentage? And I have the caliper but i don't have a clue how to use it.

Also heres photos of my body if you could estimate by BF%! PLEASE!!!

https://ibb.co/eMcfwS

https://ibb.co/cCkB37
Page 1
    • GingerS
    • By GingerS 21st Feb 18, 11:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GingerS
    • 21st Feb 18, 11:59 AM
    • 21st Feb 18, 11:59 AM
    There are enough online websites that you can find where you can easily calculate the body fat percentage.
    Originally posted by Abi_J
    but the results can be quite different from each other.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 21st Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 21st Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 21st Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    There are enough online websites that you can find where you can easily calculate the body fat percentage.
    Originally posted by Abi_J
    How can the internet calculate bodyfat?

I think you are confusing body fat percntage with body mass index.
    • ixat
    • By ixat 23rd Feb 18, 12:22 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ixat
    • 23rd Feb 18, 12:22 PM
    • 23rd Feb 18, 12:22 PM
    Bodyfat and BMI numbers aren't the most important thing; if you're physically fit and have 'muscle' rather than 'flab' then the supposed 'ideal' numbers don't apply.
    • clairec79
    • By clairec79 23rd Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    • 2,364 Posts
    • 6,274 Thanks
    clairec79
    • 23rd Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    • 23rd Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    How can the internet calculate bodyfat?

I think you are confusing body fat percntage with body mass index.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    No there are sites that claim to measure body fat - they include other measurements - such as wrist size (I presume because you don't tend to have much fat there it works out your body type maybe?) - I have to say when I tried it came back that I was low body fat - my post kids belly would assure you that that isn't true,)

For example https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bodyfat - this was forearm not wrist, I either misremembered or used a different one
    Last edited by clairec79; 23-02-2018 at 8:42 PM. Reason: to add link
    • BrookesAndrew
    • By BrookesAndrew 28th Feb 18, 11:50 AM
    • 328 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    BrookesAndrew
    • 28th Feb 18, 11:50 AM
    • 28th Feb 18, 11:50 AM
    Body fat is really hard to get an accurate measurement. The only way to get a truly accurate measurement is to have it measured in the bod pod.

http://www.bodyscanuk.com/

There is a place in London which will do it but it is quite expensive. You can get an idea of what your body fat is with calipers and taking measurements of your skin but I have heard these can vary by a number of percent. The scales at boots are very inaccurate because they can't actually analyse what your body is made up of. You could have loads of water in you or loads of muscle, they just cant tell with you standing on a scale.

Best way to see if you are loosing weight is to go by how your clothes feel and the occasional mirror check. Try to stay off the scales because again they won't tell you how much of your body is fat, water or muscle. Take monthly or weekly photos to track your progress.

Hope this helps
    • BrookesAndrew
    • By BrookesAndrew 28th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 328 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    BrookesAndrew
    • 28th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 28th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    Looking at pictures I would say you are about 15 percent body fat maybe a bit more. Abs will start appearing at 10 percent body fat. If you are trying to bulk up then eat a high protein diet and lift heavy with the weights. Have protein with every single meal. The more muscle you have the more your BMR will increase. This number is the amount of calories you burn just to live every single day. Remember that loosing weight and gaining muscle doesn't happen over night and will take a number of months to notice a difference. Just stay patient and keep doing what you are doing. Diet is the most important thing, you can't outwork a bad diet!

Hope this helps and remember, eat a high protein diet, lift weights 4 to 5 times a week
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 21st Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 21st Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 21st Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    All bunkum. Get a professional to estimate your body fat using a 4-component method. Contact your local university sport science department. In the current economic climate they will possibly be interested in making a couple of hundred from a body composition consultancy.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • QueensGreene50
    • By QueensGreene50 25th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    QueensGreene50
    • 25th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    • 25th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    I've read that the machines you stand on in DW / Nuffield gyms etc aren't the best if you want true accuracy. Some Bodybuilding gyms will have experienced workers who know how to use body fat calipers if you want to avoid the price of a proper scan.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 28th Mar 18, 10:59 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    dunroving
    Even in the hands of an expert, the equations used with skinfolds have a high standard error of estimate. Take any results with a big dollop of scepticism.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 1st Apr 18, 1:14 AM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 11,399 Thanks
    Money maker
    A random site I came across with BF images https://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/, OP looks more like 20% to me.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • Robinio
    • By Robinio 16th Apr 18, 9:31 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Robinio
    I have had body scan. Tape measure says I am about 14%, calipers 13%, DEXA body scan says 24%.

Abs totally visible, looking "lean" according to most, but in fact, I am 24%. I've put on lots of muscle over the past year, lifting weights at home. Got myself some adjustable dumbbells which don't take up much space.

https://www.fitness-savvy.co.uk/product-category/fitness-equipment/strength-and-bodybuilding-equipment/weights/dumbbells/
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 17th Apr 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    dunroving
    I have had body scan. Tape measure says I am about 14%, calipers 13%, DEXA body scan says 24%.

Abs totally visible, looking "lean" according to most, but in fact, I am 24%. I've put on lots of muscle over the past year, lifting weights at home. Got myself some adjustable dumbbells which don't take up much space.

https://www.fitness-savvy.co.uk/product-category/fitness-equipment/strength-and-bodybuilding-equipment/weights/dumbbells/
    Originally posted by Robinio
    Not sure how you can measure body fatness with a tape measure, but I am not surprised that %fat from skinfold calipers was lower than DEXA. You very possibly have higher levels of intra-abdominal fat than the levels that are assumed in the skinfold calculations.

For most people who need an accurate measure but don't have a lot of money to spend, the best solution is to use multiple less expensive methods and average them. That way, the over- and under-estimation from the various methods will cancel each other out.

It's also really, really important to use equations that are developed for the most similar population to you - so, considering at least the following: age, race, sex. Also, athletes are a special case and should use formulas developed specially for them.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 17th Apr 18, 5:25 PM
    • 5,219 Posts
    • 6,484 Thanks
    theoretica
    For most people who need an accurate measure but don't have a lot of money to spend, the best solution is to use multiple less expensive methods and average them.
    Originally posted by dunroving
    I am curious about this. Why would anyone need an accurate measure outside research? What do people do with the results that they couldn't get from being looked at by someone with trusted experience and floppy bits prodded?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 17th Apr 18, 10:45 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    parking_question_chap

Originally posted by Robinio
    If you can see your abs you are not 24%
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 20th Apr 18, 12:34 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    dunroving
    I am curious about this. Why would anyone need an accurate measure outside research? What do people do with the results that they couldn't get from being looked at by someone with trusted experience and floppy bits prodded?
    Originally posted by theoretica
    There's nothing you can do with research-grade data that you can't do with an estimate from "Coach Bill", but Garbage In, Garbage Out.

In other words, more informed and accurate decisions can be made if you are confident your measurement is correct.

Imagine I am your "trusted, experienced" personal trainer and I prod your floppy bits (in your words) and tell you that you are 42% fat, even though you can tell from the mirror that you are nowhere near that. *That* is a very possible scenario from going to see your person with "trusted experience," because of the inherent margin for error in these methods .

I know, because I've been training them for the past 28 years. ;-)
    (Nearly) dunroving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,282Posts Today

8,533Users online

Martin's Twitter