Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HuffandDoback
    • By HuffandDoback 12th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 14Thanks
    HuffandDoback
    Free Parking Overstay
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    Free Parking Overstay 12th Feb 18 at 2:51 PM
    Hi
    I've spent a considerable amount of time trying to get my head around the newbies thread and other relating advice but can not seem to find much on charges relating to the overstaying in a free parking car park. (unless I'm looking in the wrong places, forgive me!)

The driver parked in a Shopping Centre from 9pm to 1am to go to a pub down the road(not part of the centre) for a few soft drinks. They did not realise the free period was only 3 hours so the registered keeper has received a parking charge in the post. There is enough signage that they did not read so it is their own fault.

They planned to pen an email to Asda, part of the centre, to complain and tell them they are a regular customer and then use the template from Newbies to appeal to UKPC.

However, They want to know, should this go to court, do they have a leg to stand on as they have clearly broken the contract?

They thought they could use the fact that Asda shuts at 11 and the other shops are 10 or significantly earlier so this is not a loss of business, but I have seen a post somewhere that this is not a valid argument anymore.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.
    Last edited by HuffandDoback; 12-02-2018 at 3:48 PM. Reason: advice
Page 3
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Apr 18, 2:03 AM
    • 61,701 Posts
    • 74,603 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Good news, UKPC did not wish to contest my POPLA appeal so I was successful, thank you!

If its any use to anyone else this car park was the Cheadle Hulme Shopping Centre. I added a little bit more to the appeal I posted earlier in this thread specifically the signage and included even more images - e.g. the signs in poor lighting, and the image of the car in the centre of the car park with all signs no where near on the boundary (illegible from every bay).
    Originally posted by HuffandDoback
    Well done! Have you got the links to those photos, in case it helps anyone else?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • HuffandDoback
    • By HuffandDoback 14th Apr 18, 2:23 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    HuffandDoback
    I have uploaded my appeal to dropbox in the link attached but the photos haven't transferred over as clear as in my own document. Hopefully they are still of use to someone.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ulmj2gbmtrvvpz8/POPLA%20Appeal%20Process.docx?dl=0

I just received a letter off UKPC apologising for the parking charge and saying it has been cancelled. Is this standard practice or are they scared of something?
    Thanks
    • Castle
    • By Castle 14th Apr 18, 2:32 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    Castle
    I have uploaded my appeal to dropbox in the link attached but the photos haven't transferred over as clear as in my own document. Hopefully they are still of use to someone.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ulmj2gbmtrvvpz8/POPLA%20Appeal%20Process.docx?dl=0

I just received a letter off UKPC apologising for the parking charge and saying it has been cancelled. Is this standard practice or are they scared of something?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by HuffandDoback
    Same car park which has progressed to Solicitors although the "contract" looks a bit suspect!:-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5803069&page=4
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,372Posts Today

8,833Users online

Martin's Twitter