Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: How many countries you have visited?

Up to 10

18.52% • 25 votes

10 to 20

28.89% • 39 votes

21 to 40

35.56% • 48 votes

41 to 100

13.33% • 18 votes

More than 100

3.70% • 5 votes

You may not vote on this poll

135 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • movilogo
    • By movilogo 12th Feb 18, 2:26 PM
    • 2,336Posts
    • 1,569Thanks
    movilogo
    0 WOW
    How many countries you have visited?
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:26 PM
    0 WOW
    How many countries you have visited? 12th Feb 18 at 2:26 PM
    Just a poll to see how well travelled MSE people are

Just indicate how many countries you have visited.

Follow UN list of countries without being pedantic.

Russia and Vatican City are both considered as one country each.
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
Page 2
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 13th Feb 18, 2:10 PM
    • 13,004 Posts
    • 11,043 Thanks
    zagfles
    Damn, just short of the 41-100 category, even counting countries which no longer exist

More travel geekery - how many languages do you know how to say "thank you" in (without looking it up)? Anyone beat 20
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 13th Feb 18, 2:11 PM
    • 13,004 Posts
    • 11,043 Thanks
    zagfles
    I bet the people who complain about immigration have only been to Benidorm....
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    And have thought about retiring there
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,636 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Well they aren't on the list from the UN or the US State department - or the wikipedia list of sovereign states - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states
    Originally posted by ringo_24601
    I'm going to back away. It might be me who's wrong!
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 13th Feb 18, 5:35 PM
    • 2,240 Posts
    • 3,051 Thanks
    Robisere
    I got bored at 26, but I was a Merchant Seaman and also had 12 years Army Service. I have also holidayed in many European countries and once (unforgettably) in Canada, which I rate as the friendliest country with the friendliest people. That's not always a combination: friendly people do not always live in a friendly country.

Forgot to add that I discovered one simple fact: ordinary working folk are more or less the same all over the world, certainly all the ones I met. Most want the same things: peace, enough of a wage to provide for a family and a quiet life with no disasters. It's the politicians (elected or not) who screw up the world.
    Last edited by Robisere; 13-02-2018 at 6:51 PM.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 13th Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    • 3,496 Posts
    • 6,017 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    I bet the people who complain about immigration have only been to Benidorm....
    Originally posted by NineDeuce

...and I bet you would loose your bet.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 13th Feb 18, 6:46 PM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Ballard
    I've only travelled for pleasure and am fast approaching 50 (in years and countries), not including countries where I haven't left the airport. I doubt that I'll get to 100 before I croak it but you never know.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 16th Feb 18, 6:22 PM
    • 10,652 Posts
    • 23,754 Thanks
    Tarry
    France, Belguim, Ireland (Northern and Republic), Germany, Scotland, Wales (if Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales count) and Jersey.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 26th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 17,150 Posts
    • 27,896 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    Damn, just short of the 41-100 category, even counting countries which no longer exist

More travel geekery - how many languages do you know how to say "thank you" in (without looking it up)? Anyone beat 20
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Erm. English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Hebrew

But I've got google translate, so lots more!

I think I need to teach my kids how privileged they are to do the travel they do.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 26th Feb 18, 12:18 PM
    • 13,004 Posts
    • 11,043 Thanks
    zagfles
    Erm. English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Hebrew

But I've got google translate, so lots more!

I think I need to teach my kids how privileged they are to do the travel they do.
    Google translate and such apps are great but you're not going to use it to look up "excuse me" if you need to get past someone or "thank you" when someone holds a door open for you etc.

I always try to learn at least a few words of the language of the countries I visit, mainly the pleasantries eg good morning, hello, goodbye, excuse me, please and thank you, sometimes "how much" and the numbers. But the only one that seems to get burnt into my memory is "thank you" as it's the most used I guess. Can think of 20 languages at the moment...
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 26th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 17,150 Posts
    • 27,896 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    Well, I managed to understand and have a conversation with a lost Romanian person in Luton airport once - using google translate. It was frankly amazing.

I guess the majority of the countries I've been to have been in Europe, and English/Spanish/French/German/Italian thank yous will do for many many places.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 26th Feb 18, 3:21 PM
    • 13,004 Posts
    • 11,043 Thanks
    zagfles
    Well, I managed to understand and have a conversation with a lost Romanian person in Luton airport once - using google translate. It was frankly amazing.
    Yes, and these apps where you can point the camera at text eg a menu and it will translate it.
    I guess the majority of the countries I've been to have been in Europe, and English/Spanish/French/German/Italian thank yous will do for many many places.
    Most of mine are European too, and of course most people will understand "thank you" or "excuse me" but I think you always get a better response/service if you make the effort to learn a handful of words of the language so you can exchange pleasantries.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 28th Feb 18, 2:26 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    15, 16 if you include the Falkland Islands
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 2nd Mar 18, 8:01 AM
    • 5,227 Posts
    • 7,154 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    15, 16 if you include the Falkland Islands
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Yeah, I spent three months down there in 1982, and never put a foot on the place. In fact the only time I saw daylight was when we went to Action Stations and I had to scurry across the hangar side-lift on the HERMES.

So I don't think the FI will count for me.
    Last edited by PompeyPete; 11-03-2018 at 8:45 PM.
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 2nd Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    indianabones
    I am different to most of my friends and colleagues. I save up for big holidays. The last one I went on was 2014, the next one will be 2019 I hope. I went to Canada and visited many of the larger cities including Vancouver and and Toronto. I am planning on going to California next year with my family and I hope I can cover as many of the big sites as possible.
    • vtech19
    • By vtech19 3rd Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    vtech19
    I've been to Germany and Finland, I spent a lot of time in both with long stays and really enjoyed my time there living with other families (my girlfriends family) although one thing I dislike about Finland is the -30c weather in winter... at least that's how it was in Oulu. Also stayed a while in Porvoo and Kotka. As for Germany I've visited Frankfurt, Munich, stayed a year in a small quiet and nice town called Wirges.
    • 814man
    • By 814man 6th Mar 18, 8:32 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    814man
    My high number is work related as I was in the RAF for 22 years and got to fly all around the world visiting many wonderful places, all at taxpayers expense of course so thank you all very much. I also lived in Germany for ten years and Belize for two and since leaving I have continued to have a love of exploring and travel.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 11th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    • 5,227 Posts
    • 7,154 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    My high number is work related as I was in the RAF for 22 years and got to fly all around the world visiting many wonderful places, all at taxpayers expense of course so thank you all very much. I also lived in Germany for ten years and Belize for two and since leaving I have continued to have a love of exploring and travel.
    Originally posted by 814man
    Me too, for me the Foreign Office followed, lots more travel, and now with the FCO behind me the attraction of foreign pastures new is still there.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 14th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Yeah, I spent three months down there in 1982, and never put a foot on the place.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    I've spent a whole year down there, in 3 stints but I did travel all over the islands.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 15th Mar 18, 6:37 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    First travelled to Spain (when I was in mid Primary school) with Maw, Paw, Uncle and Aunt (to be) in 1958, before the package holiday boom changed the Costas into what they are now.

We flew to Perpignan (Girona had no airport then) and onwards on a coach - the air stewardess came around with boiled sweets to help with ear pressure !!!

Returned to same resort from early to mid 1960s and saw it transformed from a sleepy Catalan fishing village into a leading tourist resort, led by the Germans and Dutch.

Widely travelled since but still have a sentimental fondness for Costa Brava before it went commercial.

The Spaniards couldn't do enough to help innocents abroad.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 19th Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Ganga
    First travelled to Spain (when I was in mid Primary school) with Maw, Paw, Uncle and Aunt (to be) in 1958, before the package holiday boom changed the Costas into what they are now.

We flew to Perpignan (Girona had no airport then) and onwards on a coach - the air stewardess came around with boiled sweets to help with ear pressure !!!

Returned to same resort from early to mid 1960s and saw it transformed from a sleepy Catalan fishing village into a leading tourist resort, led by the Germans and Dutch.

Widely travelled since but still have a sentimental fondness for Costa Brava before it went commercial.

The Spaniards couldn't do enough to help innocents abroad.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    What did you fly on,a Zeppelin
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

2,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin