Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lost123
    • By Lost123 12th Feb 18, 11:32 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lost123
    Valuation - how much would you offer?
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:32 AM
    Valuation - how much would you offer? 12th Feb 18 at 11:32 AM
    Hi

I'm looking at placing an offer on a property with an asking price of 'offers over 180,000. I don't know how much to offer though as just dumping the price by 10% may only annoy the current owner (its been his cherish family home for 37 years). The closest similar properties seem to go for wildly different prices last year from 142k to 189k for similar build and sq foot.

It needs a new bathroom, kitchen and also some carpets replaced but otherwise seems in good condition. They had an offer on previously which fell through and its been back on the market for about 5 weeks for 'some interest'. There3's no rush for the vendor to sell as he's downsizing and doesn't have anywhere confirmed yet. I get the feeling the market in this area doesn't move very fast so don't think there's a great deal of competition.

rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63271753.htm

My husband and i really love the house and location and would hate to loose out but also don't want to pay more than its worth.

Any advice? Thanks x
Page 2
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 14th Feb 18, 10:03 PM
    • 5,248 Posts
    • 4,445 Thanks
    glentoran99
    What terms were in the lease?
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    999 years peppercorn rent. Nothing else really,
    • caspar9
    • By caspar9 14th Feb 18, 10:12 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    caspar9
    I would opt for a second viewing and take a mate round acting as builder. Spend ages tutting and mumbling together about the amount of work is required and then offer them 145,000 to take it off their hands.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

348Posts Today

4,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin