Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 12th Feb 18, 11:16 AM
    • 2,940Posts
    • 4,343Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Graphic card upgrade?
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:16 AM
    Graphic card upgrade? 12th Feb 18 at 11:16 AM
    My son has the following computer,

Medion Akoya INTEL CORE P5331 G.
    Intel Core i5-4460.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX760 DirectX11.
    128 GB SSD .
    1 TB HDD.
    8 GB RAM.

It's starting to get a bit slow for his gaming needs and we were wondering if it would be worth upgrading the graphic card and if so what to.

Whilst I am quite happy on doing physical side of replacing the card, I have no idea about compatibility or other issues like that.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 12th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    These come out semi-regularly:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-gpus,review-33382.html

But this will be more useful, it tells you how certain cards of certain types perform against each other and whether an upgrade is worthwhile (ignore the fact its in dollars, Tom's Hardware quite often changes its mind on a whim as to which currency it wants to use)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

The 760GTX is still a demi-decent card on that chart so it may be worth first investigating whether if you have a Windows 10 machine it may be worth refreshing it and see how you go from there. That costs you nothing but time reloading the games (easy enough from Steam, and may solve the problem(s) before you splash on new hardware that you may not even need
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Feb 18, 7:57 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:57 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:57 PM
    One thing to keep in mind is the output of the power supply and whether it can power a more power hungry graphics card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

2,010Users online

Martin's Twitter