Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greedbay
    • By greedbay 12th Feb 18, 10:28 AM
    • 115Posts
    • 49Thanks
    greedbay
    Good ways to screen buyers
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:28 AM
    Good ways to screen buyers 12th Feb 18 at 10:28 AM
    Is there a decent way to stop buyers with low feedback from buying my items?

I know everyone starts on zero but I really would like to vet out the potential scammers and timewasters.

I've had two major issues this year, both buyers had feedback with less than 10. One buyer claimed item was not as described even though item was new, after they used it for about a month they returned it to me, so I was well out of pocket on the postage and the fact my item was no longer new when I got it back.

Other buyer demanded a partial refund for an item that had no issues and left me a negative when I told them to return item.

If I put bidders with 10 feedback or more only, is that okay to do and then refund all low feedback buyers?
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 12,145 Posts
    • 8,216 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    You cannot block buyers based on feedback alone and you certainly can't block buyers with feedback of 10 or less.

You can however tighten your seller preferences:

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 12th Feb 18, 11:09 AM
    • 4,566 Posts
    • 3,934 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:09 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:09 AM
    To add to the above. Even a buyer that has 1000+ feedback can be just as awkward. All you can do is insist they follow Ebay procedures and open a case. Block them. Report them to Ebay. Respond to any feedback with a calm response of your side.

You can cancel any sales you want. However it may end up with getting more bad feedback from innocent buyers who are miffed at why you have canceled the sale.
    • greedbay
    • By greedbay 12th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    greedbay
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    My buyer preferences are as tight as they can get, I'm experiencing more and more troublesome buyers with low feedback in these past few years.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    • 12,145 Posts
    • 8,216 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    Then perhaps you need to take a look at your listings?
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 12th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Moogles44
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    I would like to make preferences tighter than ebay allow but sadly you can!!!8217;t do more than is mentioned above.

I have found that if someone asks a lot of questions and hassles you to post straight away that these items usually come back or there are problems with the item ( that weren!!!8217;t there when I sent!) . So if someone messages me in this way I look at their feedback and often find a lot of negatives left for other sellers so I block them.

Also if they are newish and have purchased an item , I message confirming that they read all listing details and won!!!8217;t send until they do. This honestly saves a lot of returns and people are grateful usually.

I wish you could block buyers who have left a high percentage of negatives for other sellers in last 6 months as they are often trouble but unfortunately they are allowed to carry on ( I!!!8217;ve had problems with sellers before but if they sort problem easily I never leave neg feedback )

Excuse my apostrophes as they all look like this ( I!!!8217;m)
    • RFW
    • By RFW 12th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 8,645 Posts
    • 5,030 Thanks
    RFW
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:51 PM

Also if they are newish and have purchased an item , I message confirming that they read all listing details and won't send until they do. This honestly saves a lot of returns and people are grateful usually.
    Originally posted by Moogles44
    Grateful? I'm amazed.
    How much do you sell that you get so many problems?
    I know certain products attract more problems but something wrong in titles and description can also add to it.

Just from your post above I'd hazard a guess that you have some extra terms within your item description.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 60,158 Posts
    • 42,794 Thanks
    soolin
    • 12th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    I
    Also if they are newish and have purchased an item , I message confirming that they read all listing details and won!!!8217;t send until they do. This honestly saves a lot of returns and people are grateful usually.

I wish you could block buyers who have left a high percentage of negatives for other sellers in last 6 months as they are often trouble but unfortunately they are allowed to carry on ( I!!!8217;ve had problems with sellers before but if they sort problem easily I never leave neg feedback )

Excuse my apostrophes as they all look like this ( I!!!8217;m)
    Don't worry about the apostrophes, MSE has about as many glitches as ebay sometimes!

AS for emailing buyers, I'm surprised you don't get marked down, it does sound like you have some strange terms or misleading info in your listing description somewhere, otherwise there wouldn't be a need to email the buyer to make sure they knew what they were buying!

It might be simpler to ensure that your listings are completely clear, use item specifics as that is what ebay go on if buyer claims anything- if you have anything that could potentially be confusing to a buyer, get rid of it.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 12th Feb 18, 6:23 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Moogles44
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:23 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:23 PM
    Grateful? I'm amazed.
    How much do you sell that you get so many problems?
    I know certain products attract more problems but something wrong in titles and description can also add to it.

Just from your post above I'd hazard a guess that you have some extra terms within your item description.
    Originally posted by RFW
    I sell masses each month.my items are not new so I mention any defects in the listing and new buyers often donít read listings and often people in a hurry donít.

I never get negative emails back and I often write that I need them to confirm that they have read this listing before I can send.
    Many buyers message with thanks for my honesty or ask to cancel as they didnít bother reading listing.
    I havenít got any negative feedback and Iíve got over 500 followers and many repeat buyers so I must be doing something right.
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 12th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Moogles44
    Don't worry about the apostrophes, MSE has about as many glitches as ebay sometimes!

AS for emailing buyers, I'm surprised you don't get marked down, it does sound like you have some strange terms or misleading info in your listing description somewhere, otherwise there wouldn't be a need to email the buyer to make sure they knew what they were buying!

It might be simpler to ensure that your listings are completely clear, use item specifics as that is what ebay go on if buyer claims anything- if you have anything that could potentially be confusing to a buyer, get rid of it.
    Originally posted by soolin
    I sell used items which are still worth money even with flaws . My listings are incredibly clear and I rarely ever get problems with item not as described ( only had a few purposely badly damaged items that I won when I contested) . Iím actually overly honest in my listings because Iíve been scammed before and canít bear dishonest sellers .

People just donít read listings when buying in a hurry or new buyers, itís definitely those sales which are the ones that I need to check as 90% have just looked at my photo and title and clicked buy it now.
    I wonít ever change messaging buyers of items that Iím selling with flaws as it saves bad feedback and needless returns ( better to cancel than lose the money on what I paid on postage )

Thanks for the thing about apostrophes, I thought it was my iPad.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Feb 18, 11:32 PM
    • 26,830 Posts
    • 10,784 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I wouldnt be impressed with you emailing me about my purchase.

If your selling a lot surely 2 issues with buyers over a year should not be an issue?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 13th Feb 18, 12:19 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Moogles44
    I wouldnt be impressed with you emailing me about my purchase.

If your selling a lot surely 2 issues with buyers over a year should not be an issue?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Why? If you havenít read a listing and it turns up flawed would you be happy if you hadnít seen it was flawed and then have to pay postage to return it?

Not one of my customers are unhappy at me doing this. I only have about two not as described a year because I have reduced masses more by checking first. I used to get more until I made sure people had read listing first. Some ask me to cancel when I get them to read listing so thatís one return less .

I got this email just over a week ago ďHi there
    Thank you for being so honest.
    Can you please ignore my previous email were i said i was happy to have it.
    After seing this email i would like to cancel please if i may.

I just looked at your reviews and you have excelent ratings, i am not surprised your honesty and customer service is excelente
    Thank you
    I think these days is rare to find many people like you

So may i cancel and have a refund please
    Regards ď

And thatís generally how people respond. Itís weird getting annoyed at someone checking to save you money and hassle.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Feb 18, 7:23 AM
    • 12,145 Posts
    • 8,216 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Why? If you havenít read a listing and it turns up flawed would you be happy if you hadnít seen it was flawed and then have to pay postage to return it?

Not one of my customers are unhappy at me doing this. I only have about two not as described a year because I have reduced masses more by checking first. I used to get more until I made sure people had read listing first. Some ask me to cancel when I get them to read listing so thatís one return less .

I got this email just over a week ago ďHi there
    Thank you for being so honest.
    Can you please ignore my previous email were i said i was happy to have it.
    After seing this email i would like to cancel please if i may.

I just looked at your reviews and you have excelent ratings, i am not surprised your honesty and customer service is excelente
    Thank you
    I think these days is rare to find many people like you

So may i cancel and have a refund please
    Regards ď

And thatís generally how people respond. Itís weird getting annoyed at someone checking to save you money and hassle.
    I bid on one of your "flawed" items. I pay and then you message me. But, I don't respond. What do you do then?

If you don't send it to me I will file INR.

If you are late either me or eBay will give you a late mark.

If you cancel I will leave you a negative.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 13th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 350 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    Dox
    I bid on one of your "flawed" items. I pay and then you message me. But, I don't respond. What do you do then?
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Quite - there have been occasions where I've e-mailed someone to clarify something about their purchase (usually where the message they have sent with their payment makes no sense at all) and haven't received a reply. I send a polite chaser a few days later saying that to avoid delay I will send by xxx date if I don't hear from them. The response rate if about 50%.

But I guess if you've got masses of spare time and need to find a way to fill it, trying to talk your purchasers out of what they've just bought is as good a way as any!
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 13th Feb 18, 10:28 AM
    • 3,265 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    Mistral001
    The description is all the buyer has to go on. Make sure that the description is correct and comprehensive enough for your buyers. Emailing buyers asking them to confirm that they have read the description is irrelevant. It will also make buyers nervous of you as a seller.
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 13th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    Tealblue
    'You've bought my item. Just checking you are literate enough to have read the description. Would you like to change your mind now you've paid? I don't mind losing the 20p paypal fee.'

I'd feel I was being patronised if I got a message which implied the above. If you're that bothered, why not stick a warning under the bit about instructions for payment alerting them to the fact it isn't a perfect item and please re-read the description before proceeding to payment.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 13th Feb 18, 4:59 PM
    • 8,645 Posts
    • 5,030 Thanks
    RFW
    But I guess if you've got masses of spare time and need to find a way to fill it, trying to talk your purchasers out of what they've just bought is as good a way as any!
    Originally posted by Dox

It does sound like Moogles knows what they're doing. Some types of products do have different ways to be sold so maybe they know their market.

I'm open to learn something new. In my many selling guises, online and offline I've always found that the less you ask of a buyer (especially after they've agreed to buy, apart from "How are you paying?") the better.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 14th Feb 18, 11:12 AM
    • 7,523 Posts
    • 4,266 Thanks
    martindow
    Why? If you havenít read a listing and it turns up flawed would you be happy .
    If you had spares or repair or something similar in the title, yes I would. If you had hidden this deep in the text no I wouldn't.

If the condition is clearly stated there should be no need to email to double check.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,024Posts Today

7,781Users online

Martin's Twitter