Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hubb
    • By hubb 12th Feb 18, 10:28 AM
    • 1,843Posts
    • 361Thanks
    hubb
    Tesco credit card fraud - 4th card
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:28 AM
    Tesco credit card fraud - 4th card 12th Feb 18 at 10:28 AM
    I am absolutely tired of getting my new Tesco credit card and within a few months I have the fraud department informing me of someone trying to use my card for a fraudulent transaction. This has happened 4 times now in 3 years. I have no idea how anyone is getting my details as how can I find out ? I buy from websites online and any one of them could be passing on my card details. Fortunately Tesco are vigilant enough to spot them before they process as one was for over 1300 from a tool company. Another for Davis dental supplies in the USA.

Sometimes I wonder if it is worth having a credit card.
Page 1
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 12th Feb 18, 10:49 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    tastyhog
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:49 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:49 AM
    Without stating the sites that you mainly use nobody can say.

But clearly you're using your card on some pretty shady sites that will allow it to be cloned multiple times.

The alternative is that it's your computer that is infected and harvesting the details.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 12th Feb 18, 10:53 AM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    hubb
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:53 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:53 AM
    I have Avira antivirus and occasionally run mailware bytes so not sure if it's my PC.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 12th Feb 18, 11:45 AM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 2,247 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:45 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:45 AM
    The only way to test that it isn't your PC being infected, is to use another card and visit the same websites and see if that card too gets flagged up for fraudulent transactions.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 12th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    If you are confident its not any websites you have used it on, then the sane thing to do is reinstall your operating system.

If I start having doubts about the integrity of my computer, I wipe and start again.

Of course it could be nothing to do with your computer, but its best to try and take action over things you do control.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 12th Feb 18, 2:37 PM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    hubb
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:37 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:37 PM
    If you are confident its not any websites you have used it on, then the sane thing to do is reinstall your operating system.

If I start having doubts about the integrity of my computer, I wipe and start again.

Of course it could be nothing to do with your computer, but its best to try and take action over things you do control.
    Originally posted by Chrysalis
    A bit drastic reinstalling so I think mailware bytes will take care of it.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 12th Feb 18, 3:23 PM
    • 4,553 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 12th Feb 18, 3:23 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 3:23 PM
    I would be considering where you use it offline too!

Malware Bytes, Spybot search & destroy plus run the free anti-virus from Microsoft (it can be set for manual scans only) if you wish to use Avira as your main one.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 12th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,656 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 12th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    Petrol stations continue to provide more risk than online transactions.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    • 20,343 Posts
    • 16,117 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    Of course, if you didn't have a credit card and used a debit card instead it would be your money that was at risk rather than the banks.

I'd agree with Peaceful Waters that petrol station use is a distinct possibility for cloning, it's where it happened to me the only time I had a card cloned.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Feb 18, 9:12 PM
    • 31,933 Posts
    • 20,110 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Originally posted by hubb
    You have a tablet ?

Maybe use that for purchases to see if the fraud happens, obviously wont be instant but you can monitor it.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 12th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,426 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    You sure it's not your computer?

In the nicest way, you do have a habit of falling for scams.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5683572

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5664834
    • takman
    • By takman 13th Feb 18, 9:56 AM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 2,998 Thanks
    takman
    I seriously think you should re-install your operating system and start again but make sure you avoid dodgy sites!. The fact that you have fallen for two very obvious scams and posted on here about it means it's likely you have clicked many more dodgy links and not know it was dodgy.

You sure it's not your computer?

In the nicest way, you do have a habit of falling for scams.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5683572

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5664834
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    • hubb
    • By hubb 13th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    hubb
    I seriously think you should re-install your operating system and start again but make sure you avoid dodgy sites!. The fact that you have fallen for two very obvious scams and posted on here about it means it's likely you have clicked many more dodgy links and not know it was dodgy.
    Originally posted by takman
    That was done on my ipad, not my pc. Again I have Mailware bytes and Avira and I don't go to "dodgy" sites. To be honest, how can any of us tell a dodgy site. We must have all clicked by accident.
    • takman
    • By takman 13th Feb 18, 11:34 AM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 2,998 Thanks
    takman
    That was done on my ipad, not my pc. Again I have Mailware bytes and Avira and I don't go to "dodgy" sites. To be honest, how can any of us tell a dodgy site. We must have all clicked by accident.
    Having anti-virus doesn't mean that you are protected 100% from all threats.

The fact is that you have had to have 4 different cards in 3 years due to fraud which is a far higher amount than most people. If you change anything then it's likely to continue being an issue.

As one poster said above why not try making all purchases via your iPad and don't enter your card details into your PC and see if that makes a difference if you don't want to do anything to your PC.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 13th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    hubb
    It's not that I don't want to do anything about my PC but I have cloned my C drive and if I copy that over when wiped it would only transfer possible problems again. I have done a scan with mailware bytes and it came back 100% clean. It would be a huge headache but I am pondering getting a newer version of windows as I am still on Windows 7.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 13th Feb 18, 12:11 PM
    • 5,204 Posts
    • 7,022 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Not really.

Ive been to every aspect of the internet and yet to encounter the problems some face.

I liken it to jewellery. I couldnt tell the difference between 18 carat and 24 carat. But then theres lots of people who make lots of money because they can tell the difference.

Im the go to tech guy in my office, the decision was made based on the fact that i have by far the oldest computer yet by far the fewest problems. Its funny how its always the same people that need their computers sorting.

As for the original question, the credit card is protecting your spending, where as most other means wouldnt, youd simply be out of pocket. So if you have a habit of having your card details stolen i would say you need to make sure youre using the protection offered by credit card or simply stop shopping online.
    Don't be angry!
    • hubb
    • By hubb 13th Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    hubb
    Not really.

Ive been to every aspect of the internet and yet to encounter the problems some face.

I liken it to jewellery. I couldnt tell the difference between 18 carat and 24 carat. But then theres lots of people who make lots of money because they can tell the difference.

Im the go to tech guy in my office, the decision was made based on the fact that i have by far the oldest computer yet by far the fewest problems. Its funny how its always the same people that need their computers sorting.

As for the original question, the credit card is protecting your spending, where as most other means wouldnt, youd simply be out of pocket. So if you have a habit of having your card details stolen i would say you need to make sure youre using the protection offered by credit card or simply stop shopping online.
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    I did have my Natwest account compromised a couple of years ago but they reimbursed the unlawfully spent money. I had recently used the card for a purchase (soley business use) at a retail high street shop and not long after that it happened. I have made many online business purchases over the last few years and that is the only time it happened. My santander savings account always tried to get me to use their software for protection but after listening to advice here it seemed to be a pain to have on your computer so I always refuse to install it.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 13th Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 1,969 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I've just chopped up my card. Was charged an over limit fee despite showing 590 still available. Was on the phone38 mins!
    • msallen
    • By msallen 13th Feb 18, 12:41 PM
    • 840 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    msallen
    I've just chopped up my card. Was charged an over limit fee despite showing 590 still available. Was on the phone38 mins!
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    ... and what's that got to do with this thread?
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 15th Feb 18, 3:21 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    A bit drastic reinstalling so I think malware bytes will take care of it.
    I would never trust a tool to clean an infection, probably wouldnt even trust myself manually.

If a system is compromised, without 100% knowledge of the type of compromise the only safe option is a clean reinstallation.

A competent malware author will implement multiple backdoors and reactivation points for the purpose of fooling someone into thinking they may have cleaned a system.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

250Posts Today

4,842Users online

Martin's Twitter