Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • George.jh
    • By George.jh 12th Feb 18, 7:08 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    George.jh
    Work blaming me for something I couldn’t avoid!
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:08 AM
    Work blaming me for something I couldn’t avoid! 12th Feb 18 at 7:08 AM
    So I wake up at 5:30am for work get read to leave and gone by 5:50am to where I get picked up by a colleague which my work place know about as they arranged it. Unfortunately he never informed me he wasnted going to be in on that day. So I waited until 6:30 which is when I start work and decided to walk back home, once there I called my boss and she’s saying it’s my fault and it’s my responsibility to get to work and won’t let me have it as a holiday? Firstly I know it is my responsibility but when the person that takes me to work doesn’t turn up what can I do? I called family and friends but they were either asleep or at work. If I knew he wasn’t coming I would of arranged a lift not walk to the pick up point and wait for half hour.

Where do I stand or is my boss right even tho considering the circumstances I was in ?

Thank you
Page 1
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 12th Feb 18, 7:13 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    Diamandis
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:13 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:13 AM
    They can't have two people off every day the other person isn't going into work. You need to look into options to get to work by other means. If you're not paying travel the rest of the time can't you keep money for an emergency taxi aside?
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 12th Feb 18, 7:22 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 2,623 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:22 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:22 AM
    They are correct that it is your responsibility to get to work

I would definately make sure you have this persons phone number so that if they are 10 mins late arriving you can contact them and check where they are so if they aren't coming you can arrange alternative transport - people do get sick, go on holiday etc so there must be an alternative way of getting to work when your lift isn't going to be there.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 12th Feb 18, 7:47 AM
    • 6,090 Posts
    • 11,399 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:47 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:47 AM
    If they didn't turn up within ten minutes I would have booked a taxi.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    • 16,162 Posts
    • 40,848 Thanks
    elsien
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    Isn't it better to get in late than not at all? So how far is work and could you get there by taxi, bus, or (in future) cycling?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    • 4,810 Posts
    • 5,126 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    How would you have got to work if the person who normally gives you a lift had called to say they were sick and nobody else was available to give you a lift?
    If you are totally reliant on other people in order to be able to get to work at all, I'd suggest looking for another job.
    I do appreciate that we don't know the full situation, but are you in a rural area with no bus service for example. How far is it to your work? Could you have got there late by using public transport? Did you offer to do that and your boss refused to allow it?
    Last edited by TELLIT01; 12-02-2018 at 9:12 AM.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Feb 18, 8:27 AM
    • 16,439 Posts
    • 9,696 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:27 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:27 AM
    So I wake up at 5:30am for work get read to leave and gone by 5:50am to where I get picked up by a colleague which my work place know about as they arranged it. Unfortunately he never informed me he wasnted going to be in on that day. So I waited until 6:30 which is when I start work and decided to walk back home, once there I called my boss and she’s saying it’s my fault and it’s my responsibility to get to work and won’t let me have it as a holiday? Firstly I know it is my responsibility but when the person that takes me to work doesn’t turn up what can I do? I called family and friends but they were either asleep or at work. If I knew he wasn’t coming I would of arranged a lift not walk to the pick up point and wait for half hour.

Where do I stand or is my boss right even tho considering the circumstances I was in ?

Thank you
    Originally posted by George.jh
    Yup

Your responsibility to get to work, not someone elses.

If you're relying on a lift, have a backup plan such as a taxi or pubic transport.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    • 19,886 Posts
    • 15,596 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    The law says that you can be required to give twice as much notice for holiday as the period you want to take off, so your employer is quite within their rights to deny you that day as holiday. So your absence was unauthorised, and a disciplinary would not be unexpected.
    • George.jh
    • By George.jh 12th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    George.jh
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    Thank you all for the reply!!!8217;s, currently where I work to where I live is 40 minutes away cycling. I used to cycle but unfortantley it was stollen so my work place arranged the lift as they also didn!!!8217;t want me cycling due to distance and bad weather. Bus isn!!!8217;t an option and and first week of the month the whole wage goes on bills so taxi wasn!!!8217;t an option. I genuinely had no way of getting to work.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 12th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 3,471 Posts
    • 9,563 Thanks
    LilElvis
    It looks like cycling is your only back-up for your colleagues holiday/sickness days. You can look on sites like Freecycle and Gumtree to pick up a free/cheap one for you to use in emergencies. You should also get a cheap (Ł10) mobile with a couple of pounds credit so that you can contact your colleague to ask where he is and to tell work you will be a bit late as you're going to be cycling.
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 12th Feb 18, 9:44 AM
    • 4,277 Posts
    • 4,630 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    Perhaps you should try and mitigate this happening again by checking with your colleague about the next lift when they drop you off....
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 62,159 Posts
    • 363,886 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Could you look at getting yourself a moped? If you're unsure/unstable on 2 wheels, there are nifty 3-wheeled versions.

If you're happy to cycle the distance, then using a moped to cover that distance makes it a viable option.

At the moment you appear to rely on other people sorting out your life for you... e.g. employer arranging lift, the lift itself. Become independent.

It's good to be independent. Have moped will travel, shop, go out, get to work, visit places, get groceries. Full of win.
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 12th Feb 18, 9:53 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    Diamandis
    If your whole wage goes in the first week it might be worth looking at this article: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/Budget-planning
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 12th Feb 18, 10:20 AM
    • 6,449 Posts
    • 11,618 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    If is a bit rubbish that your lift didn't mention that they wouldn't be in today but it is your problem to sort when they didn't turn up. It's not your employers problem, you need to sort a way to get to work. Can you try freecycle to see if there's a bike on there? Doesn't matter if your work aren't happy with you cycling in, it's not their business how you get to work as long as you get there on time.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 31,432 Posts
    • 19,843 Thanks
    DCFC79
    You nneed to get your own transport sorted, whether as a backup or to make your own way there rather than rely on someone else.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 12th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    • 6,433 Posts
    • 8,321 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Also, it may be that you colleague wasn't too keen on being asked to give you a lift. Do you give them petrol money? It may be that they didn't tell you they were going to be of as a passive aggressive way of showing they are not happy with the arrangement.
    I think it would be sensible for you to sort out your own transport to work as a priority, and until them, try to set aside enough money to cover a taxi in emergencies.

it's your responsibility to get yourself to work on time.

It's annoying that you colleague didn't tell you, but again, it is your responsibility to check that your transport is available and to have a back up plan in place.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Feb 18, 11:39 AM
    • 4,810 Posts
    • 5,126 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    I can certainly understand not wanting to cycle in bad weather, but you really do need to look into a backup plan to get yourself to work. What would you do if the person currently giving you a lift left the job?
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 12th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Why are you asking for the whole day off as a holiday? Why didn't you just phone them to say you'd be in late due to a miscommunication and then make up the hours at the end of the day?

You might have had no way to get into work on time, but it's pushing it somewhat to claim there was no way to get in at all...
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 12th Feb 18, 1:33 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    As well as dealing with today, you also need to consider a plan for the future. As others have said, what happens on the 30-odd potential days your colleague doesn't work. Or if needs to start late/finish early for something? Or his car breaks down. Or he's ill. Or a myriad of other reasons why you might be stuck.

For this job to be sustainable you need another option. Perhaps get a motorbike, cheap 125cc or even 50cc moped and do your CBT/theory.

As it stands you're looking at an unauthorised absence every time this happens, you won't last long in the role with that.
    • Madbags
    • By Madbags 12th Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Madbags
    Until this sort of thing happens you won't learn you can't rely on other people.

I used to walk to my workplace, at similar times of the morning, it used to take me 1 hour and 45 minutes to walk to work, spend all day on my feet (factory work) and then do the same on the walk home.

I got to know a guy who went the same way as me to work but in his car. The first day he decided to not turn up was the last day I ever asked him to pick me up again. But I called in and said I would be late and still turned up, I never walked so damn fast in my life,

So I went back to walking, I couldn't afford a bike or car or moped, there was no salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme then or anything.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,400Posts Today

6,376Users online

Martin's Twitter