Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Feb 18, 6:17 AM
    • 16,126Posts
    • 70,159Thanks
    Judi
    O/S daily Monday 12 Feb 2018
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:17 AM
    O/S daily Monday 12 Feb 2018 12th Feb 18 at 6:17 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Feb 18, 6:27 AM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 14,699 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:27 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:27 AM
    Morning everyone

Thanks for starting us off Judi.

I ventured out yesterday for a walk as it was sunny, but it was so cold. As I walked past the houses on the estate I noticed that there are a lot of bulbs starting to peak through in the front gardens so I do at least feel that spring is on its way. The sooner the better for me now!

I was sorting the cupboard in the kitchen that has the frying pans/saucepans in yesterday and managed to drop a really heavy griddle pan and it has made a dent in one of the floor tiles. I have got a few spare tiles so will have to ask my brother to replace that for me. Iím very grateful to have someone who can help me with this sort of thing.

For dinner yesterday I did a lamb stew in the slow cooker and it made two portions. I donít want to have it two days running so will make a cottage pie for today. I can then eat the left over lamb stew tomorrow and as there will be cottage pie left over I can have that Wednesday. Iím so determined not to put anything back in the freezers!

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Feb 18, 6:34 AM
    • 16,126 Posts
    • 70,159 Thanks
    Judi
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:34 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:34 AM
    Morning all,

Weird and wonderful nights sleep for me. Firstly I got lost on a bus in Birmingham and secondly I was giving birth...Have to say I'd rather get lost in Birmingham out of the two if id got a choice.

Diva day for me which means she will be glued to me like a limpet....she just wants to be held all the time which is frustrating for me cause I lose the use of my left arm and watch daytime tv most of the day. I hope she grows out of it.
    Youngest has asked me to order him some flowers for his girlfriend for valentines day. Hes going to stay over on Wednesday but was with her all weekend so couldnt arrange anything.

Men left for work at 5 and 6, hounds have been out. House is so quiet with just me and the dogs in it.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 12th Feb 18, 6:47 AM
    • 3,062 Posts
    • 42,147 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:47 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:47 AM
    Morning everyone

Judi - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 & 2 are still in their pits, as it's half term and DS1 is on a week's holiday. Have to say I didn't want to get up this morning, DH woke me as I had overslept but as the boys are off it doesn't matter so much, I just need to get myself in gear.

Lunch yesterday was roast lamb, roasties, mash, cauli/broc cheese, carrots, kale, peas, yorkshires and gravy - no meat left but some yorkshires, mash and cauli/broc cheese, I'm serving pork steaks on Wednesday so that will form part of that meal - it won't be thrown away. Dinner tonight will be smoked sausage and mushroom pasta, with creme fraiche and breaded chicken portion for the menfolk.

We were very lazy yesterday I just prepped and cooked the lunch and pack ups - then we watched the rugby - another excellent game. I feel a bit better this morning and I'm going into work but would be fully justified not to go in as I have a horrible cold - I know we're short staffed so am going in - I'm dosed up and will take all the meds with me. I'll see how I feel each day and if tomorrow I don't feel well enough then I'll re-evaluate the situation then.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • redruby
    • By redruby 12th Feb 18, 7:11 AM
    • 6,676 Posts
    • 92,999 Thanks
    redruby
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:11 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:11 AM
    Morning all

Bitterly cold here this morning with a sharp frost the cars will need a lot of de-icing.

When we were at the beach yesterday (which was beautiful but so so cold) it snowed it was literally for 2 - 3 mins and it was odd walking along in bright sunshine with a blizzard going on, when we got back to the car and on the road there was no sign of it at all ! very strange.

Half term week here which normally means its much busier at work but as we have no car park facilities or any events on we are not sure what to expect so will play it by ear a bit.

I have the Dr tonight for a smear test and a coil replacement never a nice thing to do but it needs doing and I think its important, (especially the smear) so sorry if that's tmi for anyone

Have good days all xx
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 12th Feb 18, 7:18 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 3,548 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:18 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:18 AM
    Morning all, and thanks Judi.

Nmlc, hope your Mum is progressing well
    Judi, dreams take you to strange places, I've had some from which I've definiteiy been glad to wake up!
    HH, I was sorting through kitchen stuff yesterday as well, and have got a little pile for the chazzer. Really, there's still stuff I could get rid of, large roasting tins, a big cast iron griddle. Some stuff is going anyway, it's a start.

We were in all day yesterday, but busy round the house.It was bright but cold. There's a thick frost this morning. Getting lighter earlier, I notice, and as Holly said, the spring bulbs are showing.

i had bought a small joint of lamb from As*a on Saturday, and when I opened it yesterday afternoon I thought it had an odd smell, but thought it was because it had been vacuum packed. I haven't got a good sense of smell anyway. Once I got it in the oven though whoo hoo, the smell was nasty, definitely off. I've wrapped it, put it in fridge, and it's going back today with the original wrapper and the till receipt. I was all for just chucking it, but OH said we should return it, as they ought to know about it.

We'll have Dgd today for a few hours, and that's it for today really.

Have a good day all.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 12th Feb 18, 7:22 AM
    • 3,979 Posts
    • 27,205 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:22 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:22 AM
    Morning folks and thanks JUDI for starting us off. Woke up to find there had been a further snowfall through the night which has given us quite a covering. I think these snowfalls are forecast for the next few days.

No need to go out today so the pruning of the Toys R Us bedroom can't be put off any longer. I have boxes at the ready for all the stuff that's getting chucked or passed on to the cs. It really is getting beyond a joke in there.

Not much in the way of cooking to do today. Leftovers from Sunday lunch will be plated up and warmed up for tea. Soup defrosting for lunch along with a wrap.

We are having all the gas pipes replaced in the village and it's been total chaos for months. Roads blocked off, bus diverted etc and today it seems they are starting on our road. As driveways are blocked off so they can dig deep holes, cars have to be left on the road, which adds to the chaos. Not to mention the racket the diggers and drills make. But I do feel sorry for the poor lads working in these wintry conditions.

Have a good day all and, as always, ((HUGS)) for the poorlies, carers, sad, worried or lonely who want them. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Feb 18, 8:03 AM
    • 6,419 Posts
    • 40,613 Thanks
    Gers
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:03 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:03 AM
    Good morning folks.

Cold and nasty here again today - intermittent sleety showers so far.

I'm almost ready to leave the house, just doing a couple of emails and a little surfing.

Now I have to go, I hope that everyone has a good and happy Monday.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Feb 18, 8:20 AM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 19,038 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:20 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:20 AM
    Morning all, we had snow last night, on top of ice and the roads are white, I am really glad not to be going to work, in fact unless forced out, I'm not going anywhere. I've lots to be busy with indoors.

Slept very poorly again and have been up since 3, I watched Sleepless in Seattle, which I've not seen before, recorded it, and liked, some nice funny bits. Unfortunately any film I watch is subject to constant interruptions as I look up the actors to find out if they are who I think they are and what I might have seen them in in the past. I don't think this is quite the way you are meant to watch.

Judi, might a sling be useful? I think if so, Diva's mummy ought to get one for you, it would free your hands.

Redruby, that's not tmi, that's eminently sensible. I am fortunate in not having to have smears any more, all my reproductive organs have been fished out.

Hope everyone is safe and warm today, I've put the heating on and it is staying on.
    Last edited by ancientofdays; 12-02-2018 at 8:23 AM.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • bellabella
    • By bellabella 12th Feb 18, 8:27 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    bellabella
    Morning all Tired Mum (I no longer have the email for tired mum password reset) reporting in from a cold bit of Essex
    Dolly has been walked and had a little play with one of her doggy friends and is now on her blanket probably warming up that wind is bitter . Not sure what DS is up to he may have a job in the pipeline after leaving Amaz*n (he resigned before being pushed) it seems no one lasts more than a year at that place but the way they mess them around i am not surprised
    House is reasonably tidy so just a quick flit round and a look in the freezer for dinner just a month till we get some sun in Cuba so i need to run it down to refill for DS whilst we are away.
    Csarina I hope you have a better day today and healing thoughts to your friends on the loss of their daughter
    Dumpling sending you some extra strength you are doing great lovely x
    Hugs to all those who need one and have a great day whatever you are up too
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 15,450 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

I'm only 27, but I can feel a difference from the me of 10 years go. I had a few drinks on Saturday night and I think I'm feeling worse today than I did yesterday! What's that all about?! I used to be able to have a heavy night and have zero hangover symptoms. My friends were green with envy. Deary me.

Anyway, I'll power through. Nobody to blame but myself. Thank God for coffee.

Slight covering of snow this morning but that'll soon melt away.

I'm off to curl up in a corner.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 12th Feb 18, 8:56 AM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 20,065 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((Hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

OH is driving me dolally.......yesterday it was his supper today its his medication, and he wonders why I am not a happy bunny!!

Tonight he is getting fish whether he likes it or not, just passed caring, one thing he is not getting cake with his afternoon tea, no way.....

Its a bright but very cold morning, OH thinks he is going out to the shed with R when he comes, sorry, he is not, its far too cold and I have no desire what so ever to have him miserable with a cold on top of everything else.

He would not have his headache medication last night, then started moaning about his headache so I made him take one, he work up headache free, but it has started again, another few words over what time he should take it!! I am well passed caring right now.

Laundry in the washer, have two loads to do and the towels will need doing tomorrow. Not even going to contemplate putting it out on the line, it can go in the dryer.

Heating is turned up, the house feels cold this morning.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Feb 18, 9:04 AM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 19,038 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Csarina2 m poor you, you must be exhausted.

Bellabella there was an article on working at Am*azon in the Times at the weekend, I think that was about the one in Staffordshire and it sounded horrible. Some dreadful management practices, staff unable to manage unrealistic quotas etc.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 2,092 Posts
    • 25,712 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Cold but bright and sunny here in East Anglia, it's housework day after doing not a lot over the weekend, oh joy!

Brunch out was lovely, good portions and very tasty, didn't eat again until the evening and then we just had cheese omelettes. I pulled some frozen puff pastry out of the freezer and will make some goats cheese and pesto tarts for tea.
    The yard texted me yesterday to say that Lulu had come in minus one shoe, again!, what is that pony doing!! have messaged my farrier and asked if he can come out to hammer it back on, he didn't charge me last time but not sure if that will be the case again

Nmlc hope you feel better soon
    Judi weird dreams, cheese for supper?
    SR ugh re the lamb, it was in the local papers that someone had an A*da chicken which turned out to have maggots in it
    Oh Csarina you just sound so worn out m'dear, hugs

Right, WM is bleeping away so needs emptying, have a good day folks x
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 12th Feb 18, 9:26 AM
    • 12,428 Posts
    • 39,718 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

bit of snow here but nothing much to worry about in fact its beautiful blue sky now

Declutter went really well yesterday 2 bags stuffed to bursting and out for the charity pick up van. no where near finished though still another room to tackle and this is just the first cut of clothes chucking... a second cut is needed. hip is suffering for all the tris up and down stairs but I managed 4 times my step target in the Fitbit housework really is healthy then.

Book club tonight at one of my friends houses so no need for food tonight haven't read the book this time which is poor as I suggested it but doubt i wont be the only one we are not the best behaved book clubs thats for sure. One of the girls has a birthday on Weds so i need to nip out to Marks soon and get her some flowers from us all. Friend who travels is staying tonight so need to make up her bed and have a hoover round...at least the mountain of clothes that were on the bed has gone

Right off to grab a quick brekky then get on with the day

Have a good one all
    • poppy811
    • By poppy811 12th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 1,073 Thanks
    poppy811
    Morning all and thanks for all your welcome messages yesterday.
    DS2 and family came to help me install a DVD player but apparently the lead supplied is the wrong one so there will be a few days delay.
    I cooked lunch which the 2 year old said was super yummy, praise indeed! They are trying to get him potty trained which is not going to plan. The cushion he sat on for lunch will need to be washed!

Woke up to a light covering of snow this morning but the sun is out so I will go for a walk this afternoon. I have never been so unfit before so no more excuses.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Poppy
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 12th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 45,442 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread Holly, hugs to those in need.
    We were up at 5:30 as CHS is on the early shift, i'll be collecting him about 4ish.
    I've done a very small food shop and grabbed a couple of thin scarves from a CS, I keep getting a stiff neck.
    I've cut out a couple of cloth bags and a cushion cover I need to get my sewing machine out and start sewing.
    It was sunny yesterday and is the same today so we are relying on solar for our electric.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Elona
    • By Elona 12th Feb 18, 10:52 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 2,078 Thanks
    Elona
    Two dds and son in law for over yesterday so after we had eaten I gave them some burgers, wedges, cottage pie and leek and potato soup to take away. A grocery delivery is due tomorrow morning so I trying to use up some of the bits in the fridge. Breakfast was a bacon and tomato roll and lunch might be eggs on toast or an omelette and will have a look in the freezer for something to defrost for tonight.

csarina

You must be getting so fed up. Is there no way you can have a short trip out for a break?

Not sure whether to get all bundled up and go to York today or just stay at home in the warm and go tomorrow after the grocery delivery. The thought of staying warm inside and using the aromatherapy burner while having lots of hot drinks is very appealing.

Just found out that the family overnight trip to Scotland to celebrate cousin's 70th birthday which I thought was a couple of weeks away (lost my e mail account with all the details on it over the new year) is actually early this Saturday morning.

Cousin is female and very fit for her age and a bit new age , vegan and into health etc. I want to get her a present but don't want to clutter up her house so thought maybe a posh scented candle, pretty photo frame.
    Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Hugs to all
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 12th Feb 18, 10:56 AM
    • 1,753 Posts
    • 21,189 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all

We had quite a bit of snow yesterday,and more when we got up,but its mixed up with hail too.Traffic didnt seem to clear from the main road until about 9.30 when I was coming back from dogwalking.Not sure when the men would have got to work,DH didnt want to risk the road over the moor which is the shortest way to the extension theyre doing.At least the roof is on now so its a bit warmer -no door or windows yet though

The house is tidy as we had friends round on Saturday night (apart from our bedroom where I bunged all the ironing pile.That door stayed firmly shut

I think it'll be shepherd pie for tea tonight- I do have some roast beef left from our tea yesterday but I'll prob freeze that to make an easy meal when I'm busy or late home.

Bellabella (Tired Mum) When I was changing my password yesterday (whats all that about,never been asked before!) I saw it was an old email addy and managed to change it before doing the password so I didnt need to change my user name but I think quite a few people have

Csarina-sorry you are having a hard time at the mo,and also dumpling,hugs .

Snow seems to be melting a bit now.Windy though,think I'll light the log burner soon.I think our wood will just about last out the winter,it was all free from an ash tree DS had to cut down last year at his house.Not looking forward to paying for a load next time though!

Take care everyone xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 12th Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 20,709 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Two dds and son in law for over yesterday so after we had eaten I gave them some burgers, wedges, cottage pie and leek and potato soup to take away. A grocery delivery is due tomorrow morning so I trying to use up some of the bits in the fridge. Breakfast was a bacon and tomato roll and lunch might be eggs on toast or an omelette and will have a look in the freezer for something to defrost for tonight.

csarina

You must be getting so fed up. Is there no way you can have a short trip out for a break?

Not sure whether to get all bundled up and go to York today or just stay at home in the warm and go tomorrow after the grocery delivery. The thought of staying warm inside and using the aromatherapy burner while having lots of hot drinks is very appealing.

Just found out that the family overnight trip to Scotland to celebrate cousin's 70th birthday which I thought was a couple of weeks away (lost my e mail account with all the details on it over the new year) is actually early this Saturday morning.

Cousin is female and very fit for her age and a bit new age , vegan and into health etc. I want to get her a present but don't want to clutter up her house so thought maybe a posh scented candle, pretty photo frame.
    Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Hugs to all
    Originally posted by Elona
    I try to buy most people these days gifts of foods, drinks or other consumables. I guess candles count as that. Then people aren't cluttered with 'stuff'.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

537Posts Today

5,487Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin