Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Feb 18, 6:07 AM
    • 6,859Posts
    • 40,212Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small mse things will you do this week? 12/02
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:07 AM
    What small mse things will you do this week? 12/02 12th Feb 18 at 6:07 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
Page 2
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Feb 18, 7:13 PM
    • 5,055 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    DawnW

Wishing everyone a good start to the week. As I always say, if today's gone cr*p, forget about it, feet up, biscuits out, & start the week over again tomorrow.
    F xx
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    I definitely think I need to do this Foxgloves!!

Spent the last hour and bit in A&E following falling down the last stair whilst carrying a dining chair when we got home. Thankfully no break but they said it could be 8 weeks recovery and I must rest.

This really doesnít fit in to my schedule I had a list of things to do tonight which included a long walk and veg buying in Ald1. Hmmm. Need to think of plan B. Including what to do with smalls over half term now I canít take them to where they need to be.

Thankful to the wonderful NHS staff who were so helpful today
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    Sorry to hear this - hope you are ok
    Perhaps things will need to fit more around you this half term PF...
    Any aunties or grandparents etc available to help out? Any playdates owed by friends?
    NSDs for June 9 / 10
    Groceries / cleaning / toiletries / pet food etc £227.30 / £250
    Fuel 99.95 / £100

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 12th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 4,156 Posts
    • 26,664 Thanks
    allydowd
    *Think self lucky we are not pricing up the cost of a new door today......bit of a saga, in fact it's funny now, but it wasn't at the time.......we got locked in our lounge yesterday & getting out was a bit of a trial. We tried to be ingenious with the objects we had to hand, but the trouble was we didn't have anything wildly useful in there with us & just to add his two pennorth, Cat decided to have a bit of a melt-down. Oh joy! How we still have a door in place today, I don't know!
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    I think I would have taken apart a USB cable and had a go with that. They usually have 3 pieces of wire in them.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £50

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 103.49 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 6,859 Posts
    • 40,212 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Purps hope you're ok. Take care of yourself
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 12th Feb 18, 9:44 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 10,971 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    I'm not sure what today holds, it will depend on the weather. I would like to return some library loans, drop off some donations for the food bank, drop off some other charity donations, go swimming as a family and children go to weekly uniformed organisation meet, but none of that may happen we might end up staying in all day enjoying the warmth of the stove.
    Originally posted by Baileys Babe
    Return some library loans, drop off some donations for the food bank, drop off some other charity donations will all be rolling over to another day.

We managed to go swimming and meet up with 4 other HE families the children also made it to their evening meet. We had half an hour from leaving swimming to the start of their evening meeting, it is only a 5 minute drive so the children ate there packed tea in the car and me & OH popped into Lidl which was en route to do the weeks shopping £30.54 which included duck for tomorrow. It felt like a good use of our time as we wouldn't have had time to go home in between instead and saves me having to go shopping at some other point.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 12th Feb 18, 9:45 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 10,971 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Purps sorry to hear about your accident, I hope the rest of the family are looking after you.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Feb 18, 6:39 AM
    • 6,859 Posts
    • 40,212 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning jeez I'm so tired at the moment. I just sleep when I'm not either working or doing stuff for the family!

Working in my home town so will save over an hour and a half in travel time - which incidentally after my induction will be my base

I've woken up to some money from selling my phone

Things to do:

* hang up washing
    * put lunches together
    * nip to sm after work and get bits for pancake day - having savory for main and sweet for desert
    * take book to read in break
    * try to get through and finish e-learning - it's soooooo dull!
    * see if I can log in and print off a label so I can post another phone
    * if I can post said phone
    * update spending diary

bath, book & pamper tonight. Hope everyone is ok - Purps take it easy from now on! x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Feb 18, 8:21 AM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 14,850 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Thank you all for the well wishes. Gosh, Iíve never realised how much I use my ankle Iím going to work from home for the rest of the week and Iíll see where we go from there.

Iím going to take foxgloves wise words from yesterday about if your day isnít going well forget it, get biscuits and put your feet up

My money saving efforts are going to be limited over the next few days I fear but here goes:
    Check banking
    Check surveys
    Put some money spent on holiday back in the right places
    Meals from stores
    Washing on radiators
    Try not to have heating on too much in the day, use extra cardigan and blanket instead
    Do an online shopping order, will go for cheap delivery slot, see if I have any vouchers to use too

Dawn hope things work out with the accommodation for your DB.

Iíll check back later. Purps.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 13th Feb 18, 8:54 AM
    • 527 Posts
    • 4,115 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Purps look after yourself. Sounds painful and nasty

DNMS I bet you will feel knackered for a couple of weeks until you get into a routine and schedule. Make sure u do rest up and are kind to urself.

Moneysaving things today,
    -banking checked. everything good but still waiting for a payment to go out
    -eat out of the freezer
    -just about to sort out cat cleaning.
    -cats arent eating so much at the minute, so will cut portions down for a couple of days until we get a balance again. Always happens when they stuff themselves if they have treats
    -off to the post office to return dress and RM survey item to post
    -have found 3 items that I'm going to put on ebay tonight. Will sort and ship more items out of this house this year.Feels good doing it despite snail pace
    -not planning to spend anymore today, nothing needed

have a good day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • little pink purse
    • By little pink purse 13th Feb 18, 10:57 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    little pink purse
    Morning everyone

sorry I've missed a week or so

hope your back on your feet purple fairy

hows the new job dnms
    i feel your pain with the e learning

managed to get a few extra shifts do got the debt down to 65k

todays todo

check banking
    check ebay restarted so will keep a eye on
    tidy house small shop
    start paper work for next year tax lol

hope you keep warm and well xxlppxxx
    nsd may /10
    feb fuel and food budget £350.00

debt total highest £66k now £65k
    FIRST DEBT TO BLAST £2142.95 /
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 13th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 836 Posts
    • 7,720 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,
    PF, rest as much as you can, when I broke my wrist and badly sprained my ankle (I was going to say last year but it was actually the year before oh my... where is the time going! anyway it took a long long time to get back to normal and I do wish I'd rested it more right at the start.

Todays list includes a few bits I didn't get round to yesterday
    ys bread for breakfast
    ds2 to school free breakfast club
    Gym session done and reflled water bottle there
    Called in at Mr T on the way past to fill ds2s prescriptions and whilst there I bought £200 worth of vue cinema gift cards for £170 - this money was given to us as an xmas gift by my inlaws and so has no effect on our budget.
    Ds2 found a hole in his pajama trousers so will get that sewing bag out again!
    Ds1 says his coat has a tiny hole too so will do that tonight when he gets home from school plus his school trousers were starting to go on the knee so I've sewn them too! this really is me trying to keep out of the shops! I'd normally be on the way to buy a replacement pair! Mind you he's annoyed me by buying sweets on the way to school with his dinner money (he only has dinners once a week but its money wasted so I've told him its coming off his pocket money instead!
    Radiator shuffle washing
    Iron only what must be done ie Dh's work shirts rest will just be hung straight away
    Message ds2s teacher, see if any earlier parents evening slots are free for tonight yay an hour earlier then planned which is much better for me tonight
    Check banking/update spreadsheet
    Open new natwest current acc to get the switching incentive
    Put new name label on ds1's swimming trunks as its come off in the wash
    Read some of my library book
    Make use of my headspace app
    Leftover sausages for the kids tea, we will have the leftover gammon with veg and jacket spuds
    Make a date cake with my OOD dates

Going to finish my and get cracking!

Ds been sent home from school poorly so the list is changing

Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 13-02-2018 at 5:24 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    • 4,156 Posts
    • 26,664 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi February Fabulistas,

Another snowy day. Had a few "challenges" this morning.

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Good, homemade, sustaining breakfast.

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Did App.

* Checked online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Challenge Number 1: Took car to get bonnet repaired. They can't get the spare part until Monday at which point I'll be £180 quid lighter.

* Challenge Number 2: Called HMRC regarding Self-Assessment. Much aggro. Not going to re-tell the whole saga as it won't achieve anything.

* Decided to steady my nerves with a swim and sauna. Had a long shower afterwards at the pool. Now I'm putting my feet up.

* Changed Wifi password for added security as we live in town.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Last edited by allydowd; 13-02-2018 at 2:20 PM.

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 13th Feb 18, 5:49 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 12,066 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta

* Challenge Number 1: Took car to get bonnet repaired. They can't get the spare part until Monday at which point I'll be £180 quid lighter.
    Originally posted by allydowd

two words: crow bar

That's terrible! Is your bonnet made of platinum?!
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 13th Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 12,066 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Afternoon folks

A late check in from me. I'm sooo tired today! Still not up to full gym prowess. Two days in a row and I'm done in!

Today's mission:
    • B/L from stores. Should be D as well but I kinda fancy a cheap tea out/early Valentine's thing (OH works on weds)
    • Charge phone in work
    • Heating off when we aren't in
    • Little bit of crochet
    • OH to do housework
    • OH to ring new accountant and organise a meeting
    • Gym at lunch time. Dying.
    • Learning python coding with free online resources. Found a really good interactive website. If coding is something that you find interesting or useful, I would recommend it. I also approve strongly of this site as all the code is full of Monty Python jokes https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-python
    Have a good evening all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • Lottebear
    • By Lottebear 13th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    Lottebear
    Hello Everyone,

So far this week I have;

- Been to see family and was very well looked after
    - Took food and sandwiches for the train so not extra spends
    - Soft play and had lunch for a treat, the weather made this the only thing possible. Saw friends too.
    - Pancakes for tea

The rest of the week I am not sure
    Half term so have DD at home, maybe some play dates the weather is bad.

Today
    - Pop into town and get Cheque paid in, I have had in my purse since Christmas
    - Cancel Hairdressers and move appt
    Last edited by Lottebear; 14-02-2018 at 7:23 AM.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Feb 18, 8:02 PM
    • 5,055 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Very little done again today as DD arrived early with the children and didn't leave till nearly 4pm

* HG berries from freezer with breakfast porridge
    * Checked banks and didn't update spreadsheet, as nothing had gone out
    * Fed everyone except for the 2 kids with the rest of the vegetable soup I made yesterday. The soup made 7 generous portions, for a few veg from the market, some spices and a couple of spoonfuls of veg bouillon stuff from the cupboard
    * Had toast with the soup, which finished off the loaf. I now have one in the breadmaker for tomorrow, as I couldn't face the shops .
    * GD had some baked beans from a half tin in the fridge with her toast, and baby GS just had milk
    * Made cauli, broccoli and pasta in cheese sauce for dinner
    * Pulled a load of stuff out of the loft - a chair, a worn out shredder, and several boxes of paperwork.
    * Pulled a load of sales stock out of a chest in the dining room.
    * Went through paperwork and put what needed to be kept in the chest. Of the rest, some needed to be shredded, and the rest went in the recycling bag.
    * The sales stock is in boxes waiting to go in the loft but it probably won't get there till tomorrow!
    * Not spent anything

Not doing anything else today!
    Last edited by DawnW; 13-02-2018 at 8:07 PM.
    NSDs for June 9 / 10
    Groceries / cleaning / toiletries / pet food etc £227.30 / £250
    Fuel 99.95 / £100

• 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 13th Feb 18, 8:38 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 7,720 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Foxgloves, I think you had a hospital appointment today, hope it went well.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Feb 18, 8:45 PM
    • 4,156 Posts
    • 26,664 Thanks
    allydowd

two words: crow bar

That's terrible! Is your bonnet made of platinum?!
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    LOL. The release catch is broken jamming the bonnet shut. I believe it could be made of precious metal.

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    • 4,156 Posts
    • 26,664 Thanks
    allydowd
    * Challenge Number 2: Called HMRC regarding Self-Assessment. Much aggro.

Oh Great Smurf!

Finally after 6 weeks of wrangling with passwords and the HMRC phonelines I have managed to submit DW's tax return 27 hours before our extended deadline is up.

This was like a cross between a marathon, the Krypton Factor and the Crystal Maze. I also had to use some witchcraft and psychic powers to get in.

I am sooo angry with the HMRC over this. If I hadn't managed to get in this DW would have been fined...and all because they are incapable of resetting a password for us.

Last edited by allydowd; 13-02-2018 at 9:20 PM.

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Feb 18, 9:04 PM
    • 4,156 Posts
    • 26,664 Thanks
    allydowd

• Learning python coding with free online resources. Found a really good interactive website. If coding is something that you find interesting or useful, I would recommend it. I also approve strongly of this site as all the code is full of Monty Python jokes https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-pytho
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Oooo, coding...

• Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 13th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 10,971 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Quick pop in to report today's achievements:
    NSD
    FPL etc
    Rm survey
    Pancakes for every meal
    Turned off lights and appliances when not in use
    Opened curtains fully for the light
    Closed curtains before it was dark
    WM not set as not enough for a full load
    Educated children for free

Today I successfully used 2 pans simultaneously to cook pancakes, I was very pleased, sort of thing OH does without batting an eyelidand the tthought of me being able to would normally leave me quaking in my boots.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

4,325Users online

Martin's Twitter