Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Feb 18, 6:07 AM
    • 6,833Posts
    • 40,002Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small mse things will you do this week? 12/02
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:07 AM
    What small mse things will you do this week? 12/02 12th Feb 18 at 6:07 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
Page 1
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Feb 18, 6:17 AM
    • 6,833 Posts
    • 40,002 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:17 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:17 AM
    Morning I've been up since 4! But went to bed at 7 so doesn't seem that early!

Have been productive so far:

* did some e-learning for work
    * organised my note book - bullet journal esques! planned some goals for the coming week
    * purchased breakdown cover from MSE - 15 months for the price of 12

Things still to do:

* get lunches & clothes ready
    * have a shower
    * all meals from stores - something out of the freezer for tea
    * free leisure this evening
    * go for a walk or read book at lunch
    * onepoll? If possible
    * see if it's possible to print something off at work
    * nsd (breakdown is cover by mileage claim so technically free )
    * might go for a run if possible this evening - was snowing here yesterday and I don't want to run in that!

Ok better get on!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 12th Feb 18, 6:43 AM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:43 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:43 AM
    Morning folks!

Thanks to DNMS for starting us off. That's an early start!

I accidentally left my phone in work last night but it hasn't been a bad thing. I'm hoping to get a project-free day today. I have a special thing that I want to work on and it'll be fun and useful so I hope I get a crack at it!

Finally got on the scale this morning and I've put on 4lb - not the end of the world but completely my own fault for stuffing rubbish in my face. Going to try and get back to better eating. I also need to consciously relax more. I have bought the Holistrio program - word of warning to anyone considering it, I didn't think, as the payment is in dollars, I was charged an extra £1.14 in currency fees. I must change it to my perfect rate cc for payment asap.

To be fair, Andrew Johnson's voice is that relaxing, he could probably just read me the football pools and I'd relax

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores. Everything already made so no excuses! (and no raw salmon)
    • All meals healthy and as planned. (no excuse really as I love healthy food!)
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Look up a free squat program, as my coach hasn't passed me any training for it yet - done
    • Gym at lunchtime. I'm getting back on it now. Feeling determined. - done. My legs have gone into the future
    • Heating off most of the day
    • Do relaxing app
    • Consciously try to switch off from work. I realised that I can't let my manager get to me so much.
    • No alcohol
    • Look up to see if you can make quark at home easily - done - it's possible... might give it a go
    • Read gardening books and imagine my garden
    • Woohoo an ebay sale! Must see if I have a large enough jiffy bag
    • Relist three items on ebay that didn't sell
    • Msg from a FB buyer who is apparently going to pick up an item tonight (this is family meal money not mine though)
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 12-02-2018 at 6:11 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Feb 18, 7:33 AM
    • 2,158 Posts
    • 14,587 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:33 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:33 AM
    Morning all we’re still away but coming back today. Current,y sitting watching the sun rise on the beach about 10 metres away. Much changed from my usual Monday morning outlook we’ve had a lovely time, albeit it wasn’t quite to plan but that was out of anyone’s control we made the most of it. Need to wait for a few things to debut out of my bank today and then I can move some money from a couple of other pots. All things considered spending conservative.

Things for today:
    Fill up at cheapest petrol station before we leave
    Pack up food we have left so we have drinks and snacks for journey home.. fill water bottles.
    Check banking, update sheet with a dd that has gone out
    Some sort of exercise for free tonight at home
    Charge all electric things before we leave
    Some washing on when we get home
    Take individual packet biscuits that were in holiday Home, will do for days out at some point
    Investigate step over trees I found yesterday a bit more versus dwarf stock and see which would be better to get

Think that’s it for now, will check back later.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 12th Feb 18, 7:57 AM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 20,710 Thanks
    foxgloves
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:57 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:57 AM
    CLF - I did make sonething very quark-like once, by straining home made yoghurt through a 'yoghurt strainer' which I bought in a pack from (probably) Lakeland. After all the liquid had dripped through overnight, it leaves the thick proteiny stuff behind, to which I added some chopped chives & a pinch of salt. I think I've still got the box with a few left in it somewhere so could probably upload a pic to the Small Things FB page if helpful.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £716-58
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £244
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 12th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 26,220 Thanks
    allydowd
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    Hi February Fabulistas,

A lovely day off on another snowy day. No time for, snowmen though.

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Good, homemade, sustaining breakfast.

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Did App.

* Checked online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Go to library. Exchange books and snaffle some Wifi.

* See if I can get into jammed car bonnet using a pair of pliers on the cable. Damn, it's still not working. Car is booked in at the garage tomorrow.

* Get Meerkat Movies set up. (Oooo, a free Oleg toy is on its way too.)

* Make draught excluders.

* Defrost homemade soup for lunch.

* Need to change bank card details with a company I use; not proving easy. Still stuck on this.

* Visit local fishmonger for some locally caught fish instead of going for a meal out. Was given a free loaf of bread as he was having a slow day.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Last edited by allydowd; 12-02-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £500

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 93.01 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • xironsongx
    • By xironsongx 12th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    xironsongx
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    I had to buy printer ink this morning, but I searched online and ordered black & coloured ink for £15 for both of them instead of paying £40.00.

I also took out my ink cartridges and placed them back in and it allowed me to print some things off for work although im not sure it's going to print all of it ... i'm super low on ink.

I've created sinking funds so that I'm not spending my own money on items such as medication etc.
    Engaged 01-09-17 Wedding £519.78 (BA) £80.22 (Sp) / £5,600 £5,000 left to save
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 12th Feb 18, 10:45 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 4,003 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:45 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:45 AM
    Had a mare of a day yesterday with the forum not letting me post or log in at all. Had to message the MSE team in the end.

A week off but still have 2 meetings today and have been catching up on paperwork but after that it should be a nice week and we have blue skies outside
    Have checked banking, everything good with d.debits and banking-everything on track
    Have 2 missions this year-more stuff to be sorted and leave the house than stuff that enters. Have one item on ebay and a new pile of stuff building up for the charity shop.
    Second mission is to get the living room sorted and decorated. This won't be cheap as I need to pay for someone to come in and quite abit of work needs doing-savings pot started for this
    Second dress ready to be sent back for a refund from Debenh@ms

DNMS I love my bullet point journals, find they are a way of keep some order in my life and keeping track of things including spends.

Plenty of cat food stock in and I have been eating from the freezer. I have buffet food from 2 years ago that I plan to turn into a meal and I still need to get my chilli made.
    RM survey to post.

Think thats about it from me, everyone have a good Monday.
    Just want to say a big thank you for everyone's concerns re:family situation. Unfortunately I am always used as the bad cop by the family and basically have sacrificed my relationship with a sibling to help 2 others.Really hard but after weighing up the situation and how critical it was getting it is one thing I don't regret. I have one of the most dysfunctional families going so nice to step out of the situation now and take a breather for my own sanity!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 12th Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    Morning all,

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Beautiful sunny day down here so planning to make the most of it at some stage.

Today I have/will:
    *free drink in town - take reusable cup (trying very hard to cut down on plastic)
    *household chores - wash bedding and towels
    *free exercise
    *cheapest fuel in car
    *passive income work
    *check accounts and refund from tyre supplier

Have a great day,
    US
    Emergencies account: £500/500
    Groceries Feb 2018: EUR74.52/150 NSD Feb 2018: 1/8
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 12th Feb 18, 12:48 PM
    • 2,242 Posts
    • 10,895 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Thank you DNMS for getting us started this week

We have snow on the ground and the sun is shining brightly, nope change that the snow has just started to fall again. Frustratingly not enough to play or sledge in

Today:
    RMS Done
    Turn off lights and appliances, not in use Done
    FPL etc Done
    Adjust a pair of trousers for dd WIP
    Adjust a pair of trousers for ds Done
    OH working from home Done
    DW & WM set to run overnight Done
    B/L/D from stores Done
    Lite solid fuel stove Done
    Put kettles on top for free hot water Done
    Make a loaf of bread Done
    Renew families library loans They need to go back to be seen by the library, this is rolling over to tomorrow
    Request library books for me and ds Done
    Make packed tea for children to eat whilst travelling from 1 activity to another this evening Done
    Educate children for free Done
    Print out resources to support latest free education pack that arrived for children this morning, printing will also be free as we were gifted the printer, ink and paper - enough for over 15,000 sheets this is rolling over to tomorrow
    Dry washing on airer Done
    Open curtains fully to make the most of the light Done
    Close curtains before it gets dark to keep in the heat the house Done
    Fit new screen protector to OH's phone Done
    Fit screen protector to ds' switch this is rolling over to when OH returns from working away from home, probably Saturday
    Research new phone for me, I am looking to buy my new phone outright. My current phone is 6+ years old and is still doing well but is developing the occasional issue so I want a plan of what I am going to do when the time comes. WIP

To me it feels like a long list with nothing on it

I need to discuss with the children (OH will be working away from home) tomorrows menu, as it is Shrove Tuesday we will be having pancakes at every meal, different varieties including crepes, scotch, American, galettes, duck etc Done we also decided to have pancakes for pudding tonight so OH doesn't miss out.

I'm not sure what today holds, it will depend on the weather. I would like to return some library loans, drop off some donations for the food bank, drop off some other charity donations, go swimming as a family and children go to weekly uniformed organisation meet, but none of that may happen we might end up staying in all day enjoying the warmth of the stove.
    Last edited by Baileys Babe; 12-02-2018 at 9:29 PM.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 12th Feb 18, 1:32 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    CLF - I did make sonething very quark-like once, by straining home made yoghurt through a 'yoghurt strainer' which I bought in a pack from (probably) Lakeland. After all the liquid had dripped through overnight, it leaves the thick proteiny stuff behind, to which I added some chopped chives & a pinch of salt. I think I've still got the box with a few left in it somewhere so could probably upload a pic to the Small Things FB page if helpful.
    F x
    Originally posted by foxgloves

Cheers foxgloves - that would be helpful

• 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 12th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 7,442 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Good afternoon all & thanks for the start DNMS,

Todays list from me
    DS1 had ys bread for toast with his scrambled eggs for breakfast
    Ds2 had free school breakfast
    Gym session done and refilled water bottle there twice
    Finished off ds2s bedroom with a mirror - that was in the garage from our old house (lived here 11yrs!)
    Washing machine running on the quick 30 degree wash - 3rd load in
    Radiator shuffle - was hoping to be able to get washing out on the line for the first time this year but the weather had other ideas!

Still to do
    Make families lunches for tomorrow
    Put new name label on ds1's swimming trunks as its come off in the wash
    Read some of my library book
    Make use of my headspace app
    Check banking/update spreadsheets - transfer money to my sis for the scooter she picked up for me
    Cook sausages for the kids tea, cook once and they'll finish them off tomorrow night with veg
    Update freezer inventory
    Update use up inventory - make a determined effort to get this box emptied by the end of the month
    Make a date cake with my OOD dates

Going to finish my and get cracking!

sewn up a hole I found in my pajama jumper - my sewing bag has never been so used!

Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 12-02-2018 at 6:50 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Feb 18, 3:36 PM
    • 4,997 Posts
    • 39,416 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    A nice, if chilly day, so I have just been for a longish walk with OH and the dog, starting to build up OH's fitness after his back injury A long way to go, as it has been months since he was able to do anything much, but we can at least make a start! If I go as well, it makes him walk further, and doesn't do me any harm either!

And my brother has had very hopeful news about potential accommodation so things are starting to look up here It will cost me a bit of money helping him out in the short term, but if it works out, it should hopefully see him settled for good

So much excitement, on top of a very poor night's sleep has resulted in me not doing much today But such as it is, here goes:

Checked banks, and didn't update spreadsheet, as nothing had gone out
    Nothing spent today either
    Made soup for lunch with some of the veg I bought at the market last week. Sweet potato, carrots, peppers, onions, garlic, an ordinary potato to thicken it up, nice and healthy, tasty too
    Packed an ebay item sold over the weekend
    Took new stock items to sales unit, immediately sold one item
    Ebay parcel and RM surveys items to post office
    Am about to make a curry for dinner with turkey meat from the freezer - Hairy Bikers' diet version of chicken bhuna, only with turkey (if that makes sense)
    Put bins out for collection in the morning - I have to drag them up a steep grassy bank at the back of the house, so I like to do it in the daylight

I really ought to do some cleaning, but cba at the moment
    Also ought to list more things on ebay
    Maybe I will feel a bit more motivated later on
    NSDs for May: 2 / 19

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 12th Feb 18, 3:45 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 20,710 Thanks
    foxgloves
    1LL -I'm going to feel quite sad when all those bargainacious dates have been used up!

Hi everyone,
    A really dull list from me today......I shall be nodding off while I'm typing it, but sometimes money saving tasks just are not wildly exciting. They are important though, in that they all add up. So here goes:
    *Re-listed an ebay item.
    *Did laundry load overnight on half-price tariff. All pegged outside on the whirlygig. Yes, go me! They will probably be as wet as when I pegged them out when I go & fetch them in but despite the frozen ground, the sun was shining & there was a slight breeze on, so I went for it!
    *Washer set on timer again for another Economy 7 load tonight.
    *Rubber chicken. It did a roast dinner last night. I've divvied up the leftovers for cold chicken, salad & jacket potatoes tonight, chicken & mushroom supreme & rice tomorrow, plus enough for a sandwich & some meat added to a container of leftover gravy towards mr f's next Epic Man Stew.......Oh, & everything else in the slow cooker for stock.
    *Decluttering - Yes, big time, still ongoing. Today I've done a box of paperwork. Some has been shredded for worm bedding in my worm composter, I've saved a big wodge of clean-on-one-side A4 for printing & rough paper & cut up the rest of that to make a little recycled telephone pad. I've held that together with one of those little charity pin-brooches that I keep finding, even though I never buy them, which is a bit of a mystery. Looks nice though, as this one is a little black & white cat & if you punch holes in the top corner of the sheets of paper, you can use the stud fastening of these little pins to fasten everything together into a pad.
    *Bake loaf & bread rolls - they are just on their 2nd proving, not helped by the arctic conditions in our kitchen.
    *Did a few surveys.
    *Entered a prize draw.
    *Soaked sweet-pea seeds ready for sowing tomorrow (free seeds)
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch & work snacks.
    *Unpacked a fancy container of toiletries into my stash....they were in a wire container, a bit like an ornate bird cage, for putting a trailing plant in, so it's nice to be able to use that & not end up throwing the packaging in the bin. Was surprised at how much stuff was in there......a box of bath salts, a bubble bath, shower gel, bar of soap, body lotion, hand cream & a bath scrunchie. Took the opportunity to have a sort through my stash. Had forgotten there was a new deodorant in there & had been planning to buy one with next week's groceries, so it just shows that knowing what we have in stock saves us money. I've ended up duplicating a few items in recent months because I wasn't as on top of stores as usual.......ink, sellotape, loo cleaner, hand soap, lasagne sheets, to name but a few. All useful stuff which will be used up, but annoying, particularly if those unrequired items took us close to or over budget.
    *Recycled the plastic covers from a notebook I've used up into plant labels. Tested the plastic first with a Sharpie to check it is suitable to write on & it was.
    *Think self lucky we are not pricing up the cost of a new door today......bit of a saga, in fact it's funny now, but it wasn't at the time.......we got locked in our lounge yesterday & getting out was a bit of a trial. We tried to be ingenious with the objects we had to hand, but the trouble was we didn't have anything wildly useful in there with us & just to add his two pennorth, Cat decided to have a bit of a melt-down. Oh joy! How we still have a door in place today, I don't know! But we have, & that's a definite saving!
    Right.....must crack on.
    Wishing everyone a good start to the week. As I always say, if today's gone cr*p, forget about it, feet up, biscuits out, & start the week over again tomorrow.
    F xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £716-58
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £244
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 12th Feb 18, 5:18 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    I've held that together with one of those little charity pin-brooches that I keep finding, even though I never buy them, which is a bit of a mystery.

On the KonMari thread, GreyQueen has invented the concept of c-space, whereby all cupboard are linked on a quantum level and so the contents may move without warning to another cupboard.

This explains how half a lilac press stud appeared on my landing a few weeks ago (unless hubs has found time for a fancy woman).

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Feb 18, 5:30 PM
    • 2,158 Posts
    • 14,587 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Have visions of foxglove And mr F trapped crystal maze style in the lounge with the (helpful) cat meowing his way through to the time running out well done on the great escape
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 2,158 Posts
    • 14,587 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Spent the last hour and bit in A&E following falling down the last stair whilst carrying a dining chair when we got home. Thankfully no break but they said it could be 8 weeks recovery and I must rest.

This really doesn’t fit in to my schedule I had a list of things to do tonight which included a long walk and veg buying in Ald1. Hmmm. Need to think of plan B. Including what to do with smalls over half term now I can’t take them to where they need to be.

Thankful to the wonderful NHS staff who were so helpful today
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 12th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Spent the last hour and bit in A&E following falling down the last stair whilst carrying a dining chair when we got home. Thankfully no break but they said it could be 8 weeks recovery and I must rest.

This really doesn!!!8217;t fit in to my schedule I had a list of things to do tonight which included a long walk and veg buying in Ald1. Hmmm. Need to think of plan B. Including what to do with smalls over half term now I can!!!8217;t take them to where they need to be.

Thankful to the wonderful NHS staff who were so helpful today
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26

I hope you're ok!

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 12th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 26,220 Thanks
    allydowd
    * Realised our mobile phone contract has come to an end. Switched to a SIM only deal and saved £10 per month.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £500

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 93.01 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 12th Feb 18, 6:42 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 7,442 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    PF, Sorry to hear that, hope you're ok
    1LL -I'm going to feel quite sad when all those bargainacious dates have been used up!

F xx
    Foxgloves, me too... it means I'll have to spend money on them again! I will NEVER buy as many bags again!!! I've enough for two cakes, I don't even know if the brand still exsists!! hahaha
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

643Posts Today

5,717Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin