Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 11th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 12Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    mail forwarding before completion
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    mail forwarding before completion 11th Feb 18 at 10:54 PM
    Hi,
    Does anybody set up mail forwarding with Royal Mail before they have completed? They need 5 working days notice. Solicitor says we are completing this friday (16th) but as far as I'm aware, we havent exchanged contracts yet. I've emailed them asking about this but I've got a feeling they are planning to exchange and complete same day or the day before and my Dad used the same solicitor for his and he only got 1 days notice. We are in a chain. He says he has all the paperwork and everyone is happy with the 16th, "it's the 16th" he said on Wednesday when I was seeking clarification if we are definitely moving but he said we havent exchanged yet.
    When do you set up mail forwarding?
Page 1
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 11th Feb 18, 10:57 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:57 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:57 PM
    even the estate agents have contacted us saying they have submitted their invoice to our solicitors as they got an email off them confirming the 16th but I am sure we havent exchanged contracts yet. They seem very sure of this 16th date though.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Feb 18, 12:13 AM
    • 43,838 Posts
    • 51,818 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:13 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:13 AM
    ....... Solicitor says we are completing this friday (16th) but as far as I'm aware, we havent exchanged contracts yet. I've emailed them asking about this but I've got a feeling they are planning to exchange and complete same day or the day before
    Originally posted by MikeEngTech
    Get a grip. You are the one buying the property, so you decide if/when to Excange, and you decide what gap you want between Exchange and Completion.

Instruct your solictor properly, in writing.

No, of couse you don't set up RM forwarding (or make any other arrangements!) before you have Exchanged. Your purchase might not proceed.

That's one reason most people have a week (or two or three) gap, so they can make such arrangements before Comlpetion.
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 12th Feb 18, 12:45 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:45 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:45 AM
    I think I!!!8217;m going to insist tomorrow on exchange or no completion this Friday. How do people do it when they exchange and complete same day though? Send the mail to a family member? I don!!!8217;t know if someone in the chain doesn!!!8217;t have an exchange deposit or something. Odd that we haven!!!8217;t exchanged yet but everyone said they were happy with the 16th 2 weeks ago.
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 12th Feb 18, 12:53 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:53 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:53 AM
    !!!8220;Instruct your solicitors properly!!!8221; it!!!8217;s their job. They should be asking me what I need. Don!!!8217;t be so rude.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 12th Feb 18, 6:23 AM
    • 7,704 Posts
    • 14,099 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:23 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:23 AM
    "Instruct your solicitors properly" it`s their job. They should be asking me what I need. Don`t be so rude.
    He's not being rude.

You said the solicitor is telling you when you are completing and you don't know when you are going to exchange but have a 'feeling' that they're planning to exchange and complete on same day. You also mentioned you are in a chain. So for that to happen, everyone in the chain of three or many more people would all have to be happy to exchange and complete the same day despite the potential problems that can bring. And you are one of those several people in the chain who has to be happy with it and to instruct their solicitors accordingly. And at the moment, you are probably not 100% happy with it because you're on here asking about some of the practicalities of how it might work.

So, rather than saying or implying it's the solicitors job so the solictor should plan it all and get it done and tell you when they've done it or ask you when they get stuck, you should be actively instructing them to do what you want (as you have appointed them to represent your interests to all the other parties in the chain and the chain will not exchange if you're not 100% happy with it).

If you are curious about how things will work in practice, you need to ask your solicitor how things might work with different scenarios (as they will have experience of working with lots of scenarios in the past) and tell them what you prefer, and instruct them to only do it if it works for you.

It might be more efficient for the chain as a whole if one party in the chain (e.g., you) doesn't care how the deal gets done and is willing to just bend to what the other people agree to do, no matter what inconvenience it puts on them personally. However, that person might then find themselves with a laundry list of annoyances and inconveniences in the process while everyone else gets pretty much whatever they want.

While a successful sale and purchase process involves compromise, it can give you more stress and hassle if you initially take the lazy way of sitting back and just assuming it will all get sorted out for you and you have a feeling the solicitor will solve the problem by doing x or y or z. It is better to decide what you want and instruct them to do x and only do y if there is no possible way around it and definitely don't do z. Or vices versa.
    Last edited by bowlhead99; 12-02-2018 at 6:25 AM.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 12th Feb 18, 7:40 AM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 3,202 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:40 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:40 AM
    You can leave a self addressed envelope at the old house so they can post any mail out to you free.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 12th Feb 18, 8:20 AM
    • 7,383 Posts
    • 7,447 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:20 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:20 AM
    You can leave a self addressed envelope at the old house so they can post any mail out to you free.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Or pop round to collect it.

Or just accept the risk that things might go astray.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 12th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    • 6,140 Posts
    • 5,964 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    Solicitor says we are completing this friday (16th) but as far as I'm aware, we havent exchanged contracts yet.
    We are in a chain.
    Out of interest, how long ago did your solicitor say this? Could the plan have changed?

If there's a chain, people higher up the chain will need to book removal vans, book time off work, arrange childcare etc for completion day. Many people can't arrange that with only 3 or 4 days notice.

Check with your solicitor and/or EA what the latest plan is. If you want a minimum of 5 days (or more) between exchange and completion - tell your solicitor.
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 12th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    From a sellers perspective setting up your mail forward in advance will prove extremely annoying if exchange/completion doesn't happen for whatever multitude of possible reasons.]

As a seller my buyers decided to try and change all utilities based on a date they were given by their solicitors (unbeknown to us which was mid january) so we are now 4 week on from that with no exchange yet and mail arriving at our house for another family!!!

Proceed with caution.......royal mail redirection is very fast so just set up on the day you exchange - worked for us (exchange/completed simultaneously)

SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat & pup!
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 12th Feb 18, 9:47 AM
    • 803 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    Margot123
    My buyers have already notified the Council they are moving in, so bills are coming in their names.
    This started nearly 2 months ago, and we still don't have an exchange date.

My advise is not to redirect anything until completion; it may be annoying to you but not half as annoying as it is to a seller receiving a PROSPECTIVE buyer's post and bills.
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 12th Feb 18, 9:53 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    My buyers have already notified the Council they are moving in, so bills are coming in their names.
    This started nearly 2 months ago, and we still don't have an exchange date.

My advise is not to redirect anything until completion; it may be annoying to you but not half as annoying as it is to a seller receiving a PROSPECTIVE buyer's post and bills.
    Originally posted by Margot123
    Margot123 - I feel your pain!! I keep having to go round and check the mail for our house (we moved out) as the current buyers have attempted to switch utilities - which is a complete pain in the proverbial - I had to make 3x as many phone calls s them to sort out the mess - what are you doing about it? (I advised solicitors and EA but opening all mail until exchange)
    Family of 4 plus cat & pup!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    • 43,838 Posts
    • 51,818 Thanks
    G_M
    "Get a grip" is not rude. It is sound advice, which I followed up with an explanation of why.

As bowlhead99 says above, you need to decide what works for you, or whether you're going to sit back and let others (your solicitor, your sellers, their sellers etc) dictate timescales and processes.

You indicated concern about the short timescale, hence my advice that you stop sitting back and start.... getting a grip.
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 12th Feb 18, 11:51 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    You have said I was not instructing my solicitors properly. Do you have some official guidance? Or just having a pop? I have spoken to them today, they have said the other solicitors are dealing with both the people below and above us in the chain and said they are hoping to call back later to exchange. There's a way to speak to people. Sorry I asked.
    • KittenChops
    • By KittenChops 12th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    KittenChops
    You have said I was not instructing my solicitors properly. Do you have some official guidance? Or just having a pop? I have spoken to them today, they have said the other solicitors are dealing with both the people below and above us in the chain and said they are hoping to call back later to exchange. There's a way to speak to people. Sorry I asked.
    Earlier you said...
    ...I've emailed them asking about this but I've got a feeling they are planning to exchange and complete same day or the day before...
    Why aren't you instructing your solicitor as to when you want to exchange & complete?? (genuine question)
    Last edited by KittenChops; 12-02-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 12th Feb 18, 1:24 PM
    • 2,561 Posts
    • 3,669 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Given we're living in the age of direct debits, online billing, paperless correspondence and so on; how often do you get anything meaningful in the post anyway? As soon as you know you're moving, notify your bank, utility providers, DVLA etc of your new address - don't simply rely on a mail redirect.

And assuming you haven't fallen out with your buyer in the same way you've fallen out with other posters on this thread, why not leave a note asking if they'd mind forwarding any mail which gets delivered before the redirect kicks in? You could even print off a page or two of address labels and leave that in the house...
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 12th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    • 2,411 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    steampowered
    There must be a reason why the solicitor suggested the 16th. Perhaps this is being driven by the requirements of someone else in the chain?

I would just ask the solicitor about where the timescales have come from. You can set a reasonable exchange and completion date.

It is sensible to have at least a few days between exchange and completion. There are lots of threads on this forum about issues that have arisen where people try to exchange and complete on the same day.

If you are having a very short gap between exchange and completion, you will need to make sure that your solicitor receives the necessary funds from you (e.g. to cover stamp duty) in advance, as those funds will be needed before the solicitor can complete.
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 12th Feb 18, 10:33 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    I'm not here to be interrogated especially in this tone. Most of the questions I have been asked are not going to help with my original post. I came for advice and I give advice on other posts.
    We exchanged today. I tried to set up mail redirect but it kept failing for some reason so I decided to leave it and I'll just tell everyone as soon as we move in. I run a business from home plus we have hospital appointments coming through for our child. It doesn't really matter why though does it. I was just wondering what the done thing was. Thanks for the advice.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 13th Feb 18, 10:32 AM
    • 7,528 Posts
    • 4,268 Thanks
    martindow
    I'm not here to be interrogated especially in this tone. Most of the questions I have been asked are not going to help with my original post. I came for advice and I give advice on other posts.
    We exchanged today. I tried to set up mail redirect but it kept failing for some reason so I decided to leave it and I'll just tell everyone as soon as we move in. I run a business from home plus we have hospital appointments coming through for our child. It doesn't really matter why though does it. I was just wondering what the done thing was. Thanks for the advice.
    I'm glad you exchanged and presumably you are happy with Friday as the completion date.

House buying is stressful but taking it out on posters here who have given you good advice is not helpful to anyone, yourself included.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

3,318Users online

Martin's Twitter