Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • Lindagreenacre
    • By Lindagreenacre 11th Feb 18, 10:26 PM
    • 78Posts
    • 46Thanks
    Will trusts
    • #1
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:26 PM
    Will trusts 11th Feb 18 at 10:26 PM
    My husband and I are executors and trustees of the wills of both my parents. My father left money in trust for first my mother to have the interest in her lifetime and then my disabled sister in her lifetime. My mother has since died and again she has left money for my sister to receive the interest in her lifetime.
    The solicitor said to just have the money in our names and see that my sister gets the interest. This is what we have been doing, but the rub is that the interest comes to well over the 1000 (approx 4000 p.a.) interest threshold for not paying tax. Also, my husband and I have interest on our own money. Originally, the money from my father was in a trust account at Northern Rock (now Virgin), but as their interest rate went down to next to nothing, they would not let me move it within Northern Rock and maintain trust status, plus nowhere else would let us have a trust account. We are making sure that my sister, who is in a care home is taken care of financially, but do not want a huge tax bill.
Page 1
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 11th Feb 18, 10:58 PM
    • 4,995 Posts
    • 5,555 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • #2
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:58 PM
    • #2
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:58 PM
    That is totally wrong, this should be in a trustees account but as you have found finding somewhere to park trust money is not easy. I believe you can use NS&I to deposit trust money, but as we are talking about a 6 figure sum here you might be wise to consult a IFA about the best approach to take.
    Last edited by Keep pedalling; 12-02-2018 at 9:32 AM.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 12th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    • #3
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    • #3
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    You need to consult a financial adviser with regard to setting up a Trust account. A STEP solicitor may be able to recommend one who specialises in Trusts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

338Posts Today

4,014Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin