Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LisaSR
    • By LisaSR 11th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    LisaSR
    Can my Parents pay my Mortgage when SMI stops?
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    Can my Parents pay my Mortgage when SMI stops? 11th Feb 18 at 8:30 PM
    My SMI is stopping in April. I am in receipt of ESA (support group) and DLA (lower rate, but just about to move across to PIP pending assessment). I also get help with my council tax. I do not wish to have a loan/charge on my property if it can be avoided.

My Parents (late 70's) have been advised that they are allowed to 'gift' 3000 each, per year, without it affecting Inheritance Tax. I am an only child. If they each pay 3000 per year direct to my mortgage lender, will it affect my existing benefits? Would it be classed as 'income' if it is paid straight to my mortgage account and doesn't go via my own bank account? Hope you are able to help!
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 11th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 1,502 Posts
    • 3,166 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    Gifts from family are not classed as income, even if they come direct to you. There's no problem with them paying the mortgage for you.
    • venison
    • By venison 11th Feb 18, 10:47 PM
    • 1,931 Posts
    • 2,061 Thanks
    venison
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:47 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:47 PM
    The IHT gift limits would only apply if their estates are valuable enough to attract IHT.
    Why would you not want a charge on your property in order to continue to get SMI?
    I am a BG on loans,credit cards and benefits I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly". Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • LisaSR
    • By LisaSR 12th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LisaSR
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    At the moment the IHT limits would apply (though they believe the limit may well be changing in the near future and then they will probably be below the threshold). My mortgage is very small and ends in 7 years time. My parents would prefer to pay it using their gifting allowance, rather than me have another loan against the property. As they are in a financial position to be able to do this, it seems to be the sensible option. The question isn't really why I do or don't want to take out the loan, but whether my benefits will be affected if my parents pay my mortgage payments direct to the mortgage account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

391Posts Today

5,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin