Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ImmortalJelly
    • By ImmortalJelly 11th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ImmortalJelly
    Mortgage offer about to expire
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    Mortgage offer about to expire 11th Feb 18 at 7:26 PM
    Hi All,

Just wanted a bit of advice. I have been in the process of buying a flat leasehold for just over 6 months and the mortgage offer is about to expire (it's already been extended). The solicitor assures me we're very close to completion but I'm not sure it will all come through in time.

Some of the delay has been down to the freeholder being slow but for the first 2-3 months after the offer was accepted my estate agent didn't seem to be doing anything to progress my case. The only time she ever called me was to let me know when the offer was accepted and she very rarely responded to emails. Eventually a different person took over but if she hadn't been working with/chasing the solicitor in the beginning (and I would be shocked if she had been) could that be why the whole thing has taken so long? The second estate agent was better but still only ever updated me when prompted.

If I do have to re-apply for the mortgage, do you think I would be able to complain and claim the costs back from the estate agent?

Extra info - there was no chain involved and I used the in-house mortgage broker. Me and the seller were both using solicitors who were recommended by the estate agents.

any info/advice is appreciated!
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    • 58,454 Posts
    • 51,830 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    What do you expect your EA to do? Or your solicitor for that matter. When neither has any control over events or the actions of third parties. Including your vendor.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • fromtheshires
    • By fromtheshires 12th Feb 18, 7:42 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    fromtheshires
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:42 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:42 AM
    I am coming close to the end of a purchase and sale on my property and I have been chasing and hounding everyone I can at a minimum of weekly. As we are approaching exchange (I'm hoping today) I will be on the phone to everyone at just gone 9 every morning for updates, finding out where the weak link is and going from there. If I hadn't then I dread to think how long it will have taken as it's already been 5 months

Never just pay solicitors etc to do their job at their own pace as they are slow. T also helps if you have someone proactive in then chain like myself to micro manage things where they can and update all the buyers in the chain where possible with what info they have. It makes things a lot quicker as people know exactly what needs doing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,070Posts Today

7,386Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin