Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fuzzyface
    • By fuzzyface 11th Feb 18, 6:13 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    fuzzyface
    Remortgaging for building works - brain is totally
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:13 PM
    Remortgaging for building works - brain is totally 11th Feb 18 at 6:13 PM
    Hello!

So, we are currently in a fixed mortgage with two years remaining. The mortgage is about 220k.

Iím trying to work out how best to create more space at home. If, in two years, we remortgaged - how would we go about taking money out of the house to pay for an extension?

We bought the property for 320k and itís worth around 420k now. So our initial deposit of 100k is now more like 200k if we sold the house.

If we wanted to stay where we are and do 100k worth of building work, would we need to try and take out a 320k mortgage? I have been trying to work this out in my head and Iím just getting so confused. That seems the only way to release the increased equity in the house?

Thanks - any help in clarifying this for me would be really appreciated !!
Page 1
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 11th Feb 18, 6:29 PM
    • 9,844 Posts
    • 5,294 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:29 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:29 PM
    Well done if your property has increased by £100K since you bought it.
    You can only release the equity when you come to sell.
    Can you afford a £320,000 mortgage ?
    Mortgage rates have never been this low but will they stay low for another 2/3 years ?
    Perhaps if you get some plans drawn up and worked out what you want and how much this will cost you would have a better idea of what is involved.
    • fuzzyface
    • By fuzzyface 11th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fuzzyface
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    I!!!8217;m not sure I!!!8217;d want a 320k mortgage, even if I could afford it (which I probably can!!!8217;t). So it sounds as though we wouldn!!!8217;t be able to do the building work unless we saved up for it. Or we move house to somewhere bigger (which would also involve an increased mortgage as everything larger around here has increased in value too).
    • jackomdj
    • By jackomdj 11th Feb 18, 7:00 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    jackomdj
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:00 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:00 PM
    You can only release the equity when you come to sell.
    Originally posted by dimbo61
    Confused by this. So long as op can afford the mortgage you would find someone willing to give it to you, especially as your LTV is still fairly good.

If you are thinking two years before you extend, why not start saving the equivalent of the extra mortgage now so you would be used to it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,780Posts Today

8,242Users online

Martin's Twitter