Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 22nd Oct 14, 7:07 PM
    • 10,016Posts
    • 115,581Thanks
    emerald21
    Changing bb providers
    • 22nd Oct 14, 7:07 PM
    Changing bb providers 22nd Oct 14 at 7:07 PM
    Hi I ve just changed my broadband for the first time from BT to Sky. Is there anyone here who has changed from BT to someone else and still been able to keep their btinternet.com e mail address free of charge . It says that I can keep mine for 1.60 per month but that would mount up eventually. Thanks
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 22nd Oct 14, 7:16 PM
    • 9,010 Posts
    • 5,365 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 22nd Oct 14, 7:16 PM
    • 22nd Oct 14, 7:16 PM
    BT won't offer it free, now you have left them. Why not use an address that does not depend on the internet provider ?
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 22nd Oct 14, 7:54 PM
    • 10,016 Posts
    • 115,581 Thanks
    emerald21
    • 22nd Oct 14, 7:54 PM
    • 22nd Oct 14, 7:54 PM
    BT won't offer it free, now you have left them. Why not use an address that does not depend on the internet provider ?
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Hi thanks for replying. Yes that was my next step. I could use outlook.com or one of the others I guess. I know how to set a new one up but I don't know how to do something that will allow my bt emails to go into while it's being changed. Then I would need to send an email to banks , utilities etc but would only want to do the one. I ve never done this before so I don't know how to do it.
    • LazyTyper
    • By LazyTyper 22nd Oct 14, 8:46 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    LazyTyper
    • 22nd Oct 14, 8:46 PM
    • 22nd Oct 14, 8:46 PM
    Hi thanks for replying. Yes that was my next step. I could use outlook.com or one of the others I guess. I know how to set a new one up but I don't know how to do something that will allow my bt emails to go into while it's being changed. Then I would need to send an email to banks , utilities etc but would only want to do the one. I ve never done this before so I don't know how to do it.
    Originally posted by emerald21
    Your only choice would be to pay the 1.60 that BT are asking for a few months while you update your banks, utilities and so on.

A bit like paying Royal Mail for their Redirection service if you have moved home.
    • dscaj1
    • By dscaj1 9th Jan 17, 10:57 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dscaj1
    • 9th Jan 17, 10:57 PM
    Changing Provider
    • 9th Jan 17, 10:57 PM
    I am thinking of changing from BT who I have been with for many years. The problem we have is that we are unable to get Broadband availability upstairs in our house. When our grandson stays he likes to bring his PS4 and converse with his friends online but we have problems with connecting to the broadband upstairs. It worked okay when the router was new. The router is about 2 years old. We are on standard Broadband. We have just bought a smart TV and the connection is not working. My husband and I are not tech savvy. If we change from BT will we have to change our email addresses. Both our email addresses are with btinternet.com.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 9th Jan 17, 11:45 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    editor1
    • 9th Jan 17, 11:45 PM
    • 9th Jan 17, 11:45 PM
    Please check my posts here on Sky, but you can get same deal as me with a Sky Q Hub AC Router for approx. 18.30 per month with current MSE Sky offer for Broadband and Phone, range of Q Hub will be greater than present set up you have and I have same issues with Xbox One and daughter when visiting folks in UK - 17Mb is enough as long as you get more than 5Mb down, which means living approx. 1 mile from Exchange, plenty of places to check this. Anyhow, Sky Broadband and telephone deal is 12 quid, unlimited phone calls is 8 quid, Sky Q hub and other charges 29.95 and you get a 50 cash back via TopCashBack. Process, apply for Sky deal email via Martin's Broadband Deals page, wait for code to see if you are available to get deal, go to TopCashBack and click on Sky Broadband and Phone deal and follow links to Sky, on Sky chose unlimited broadband and phone, you can upgrade basic 12 quid package and add Q Hub. before checkout input Code Sky give you and you'll see charges drop to 10 quid for line rental and 2 quid for broadband (12 quid in total) its the best Broadband and phone deal out this week and I signed for the package earlier today. Again check my posts for advice on this. Hope that helps?
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 10th Jan 17, 10:49 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 10th Jan 17, 10:49 AM
    • 10th Jan 17, 10:49 AM
    I am thinking of changing from BT who I have been with for many years. The problem we have is that we are unable to get Broadband availability upstairs in our house. When our grandson stays he likes to bring his PS4 and converse with his friends online but we have problems with connecting to the broadband upstairs.
    Originally posted by dscaj1
    It is not up to any ISP to sort out any internet connection issues inside your property. If there are Wi-Fi issues it down to you to remedy them. The ISP is only responsible for their router (if you use it) and the internet connection to the master socket (where the phone line enters your property).

To sort out the issue you have upstairs you would need to look at a Wi-Fi repeaters or powerline networking.
    If we change from BT will we have to change our email addresses. Both our email addresses are with btinternet.com.
    Originally posted by dscaj1
    Yes you should. As you will no longer be a customer of BT, BT have no obligation to keep that email alive. It may work for years to come or it may disappear days after you leave. It is best to use a 3rd party email provider such as Gmail or Micosoft's Outlook.com so if you ever change ISP there will be no issues about losing your email address.
    • liamster
    • By liamster 27th Aug 17, 10:27 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    liamster
    • 27th Aug 17, 10:27 PM
    email address after changing broadband provider
    • 27th Aug 17, 10:27 PM
    Need some advise please.
    I am currently with BT for broadband and phone and have an email address ending in
    btinternet.com
    If I switched to another provider what happens to my bt email address
    do I loose it or can I keep it,
    liamster
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 27th Aug 17, 10:31 PM
    • 31,463 Posts
    • 19,869 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 27th Aug 17, 10:31 PM
    • 27th Aug 17, 10:31 PM
    You might lose it, be best either reading your contract or ask BT tomorrow.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 27th Aug 17, 10:32 PM
    • 16,201 Posts
    • 40,933 Thanks
    elsien
    You used to be able to keep it by signing up to their premium email for a monthly fee - not sure if that's still possible or not.
    You may find it cheaper/easier to use one of the free email providers instead. That way you're not tied in to one particular broadband provider and can swap when you like.

Edit - found the details.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44885/~/what-is-bt-premium-mail-and-how-do-i-get-it%3F
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • macman
    • By macman 27th Aug 17, 11:29 PM
    • 41,825 Posts
    • 17,337 Thanks
    macman
    It will eventually be deleted, but no way of knowing how long that will take-many people get months before the account is deleted, In the meantime just set up a gmail account and put a forwarding instruction on BT.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • liamster
    • By liamster 27th Aug 17, 11:35 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    liamster
    thats not good ...
    Thanks for the replies, I do have a yahoo address that I use anyway for some sites, its just if I do leave Bt for another provider your saying I will lose my address ( unless I pay to keep it ) and then all the web sites that has the Bt address in my profile will then have to be changed. is that correct ?
    • littleboo
    • By littleboo 28th Aug 17, 7:50 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    littleboo
    That's correct. Why would they give you a service for free that you were previously paying for
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 28th Aug 17, 1:03 PM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    AndyPK
    most broadband providers aren't giving you email accounts any more.

A right pain, but you may as well move to a standalone email provider now rather than later.

Save you a lot of money, moving away from BT
    • Armchair23
    • By Armchair23 11th Feb 18, 5:50 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    Armchair23
    Leaving BT email worries
    Having finally decided I really can't cope with BT's loyalty 'bonus' any more I've signed up to Plusnet for standard broadband and landline. And yes I do get the irony of BT owning Plusnet.

So 2 questions if anyone out there can advise I'd be really grateful.
    Do I have to change hubs or can I just use new settings on existing BT hub.
    AND most importantly will I definitely lose my BT email address if I don't cough up 5 PM.
    My online BT ID doesn't show me as having email so I can't upgrade and I'm also worried that if I do fork out 5 PM when I get to the end of my year with Plusnet it will count as me being a BT customer so I won't be able to switch back and benefit from any deals.

Any help or past experiences I'd welcome your feedback. TIA
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 11th Feb 18, 8:06 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    1) Sometimes you can, people do have success with reusing them. But Plusnet will send you a new router if you ask them.

2) ISP email almost always disappears if you leave that provider. BT in this case allow you to keep paying them 60 a year for an email address. Whether you think its worth coughing up for an email address when you can get a free one from Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook etc is up to you. BT tends for the most part to be the most expensive and the other providers can and often will beat them.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 12th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    wongataa
    Get a free email address such as a Gmail one. Transfer all your emails to that. Update all your contacts to use your new email. Never have to worry about ISP mail again.
    • Armchair23
    • By Armchair23 12th Feb 18, 1:06 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    Armchair23
    I have other email addresses , but this is a very old one that might have obscure software registrations and the like and I'm loathe to have something slip through the net . I've not had to think about it too much until switching so I've been lazy.
    I'd probably pay 60 for the year just to be sure, but if I wanted to go back to BT on a deal in a years time it's usually only on new customers or not in contract over the previous year and I wondered if anyone had come up against that.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 12th Feb 18, 1:53 PM
    • 10,380 Posts
    • 4,343 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Seems foolish to pay 60 pa after leaving BT for a better deal .Far better to have negotiated a better deal with BT with the threat of leaving .
    You would need to read the terms of any future BT New customer offer .
    Personally if its not an active in use email account i would just let it drop .
    • Armchair23
    • By Armchair23 12th Feb 18, 8:31 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    Armchair23
    Well even after negotiating I'd still be 50% better off with stumping up 60 PA given BT's charges and what I will be paying with the new supplier.
    Lots of rejigging after a death in the family so kind helpful advice is always very welcome.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,215Posts Today

8,464Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin