Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • london.cidade
    • By london.cidade 11th Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    • 108Posts
    • 17Thanks
    london.cidade
    One of radiators is ticking
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    One of radiators is ticking 11th Feb 18 at 4:19 PM
    All radiators are working well with no noise, just the vertical one in the hallway makes ticking noise. either the radiator itself or the pipes I couldn't differ. btw, I bled the radiator air.

All have honeywell TRVs but the noisy one(vertical) doesn't have Honeywell TRV, instead, it has a conventional one.

Any recommendation, should I turn the vertical one off?

I have a worchester combination boiler. Living in 1st maisonette which also has a loft

thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    • 25,299 Posts
    • 93,037 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    Ticking will probably just mean that it's expanding and contracting as it warms and cools.

You shouldn't turn it off, as the radiator without the TRV acts as a heat dissipator if all the others shut down.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 11th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 1,632 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    Ticking will probably just mean that it's expanding and contracting as it warms and cools.

You shouldn't turn it off, as the radiator without the TRV acts as a heat dissipator if all the others shut down.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    As above, its due to the heating/cooling. Perfectly normal.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 11th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    • 1,803 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    nickcc
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    Even the pipes in our loft tick when the heat comes on, makes me feel very comfortable.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 11th Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    • 1,226 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    Some TRV's certainly do tick if not open fully. It's just how it is.

Try opening it fully and see if the tick goes away.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 11th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 3,247 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    Metal often ticks as it heats and cools. As above.. it's basic physics and totally normal!
    • london.cidade
    • By london.cidade 11th Feb 18, 11:49 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    london.cidade
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:49 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:49 PM
    sorry but, why only one of the radiators is ticking? no problem with others?
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 12th Feb 18, 7:06 AM
    • 1,632 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:06 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:06 AM
    Originally posted by london.cidade
    Just to clarify, its not a "problem".

However, could be down to a different composition of the metals inside.
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 12th Feb 18, 12:18 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:18 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:18 PM
    At least half a dozen of ours clunk about, the noise is always in the same part of the wall or floor or rad valve. As they're so predictable I've never worried about it. Just assume it's the pipes expanding and contracting.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 12th Feb 18, 12:57 PM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 1,366 Thanks
    Grenage
    I sleeves the brackets with electrical tape to fix this with one radiator. It depends on the cause. Short of checking the obvious aspects, there's not a lot you can do.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 12th Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 2,030 Thanks
    Ectophile
    Originally posted by london.cidade
    It's nearly always the pipes expanding, rather than the radiator itself.

If you want to, you can rip up all the floorboards, trace the pipes, and put something like felt in wherever a pipe might be rubbing, when it expands or contracts.

I just accept the ticking. It lets me know the central heating is working.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 13th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 24,218 Thanks
    Slinky
    Whilst we were decorating our new house and had no carpets, we took up a floorboard to locate a particularly noisy pipe. Never mind ticking, this sounds like a gun going off....... every morning. No chance of sleeping through it. Turned out the pipe was being held in place across a joist with a bent nail which was rubbing badly. Nail removed, pipe lagged with some felt, board replaced........... pipe drilled through........ plumber called........ freshly painted ceiling below ruined.........
    • london.cidade
    • By london.cidade 13th Feb 18, 11:51 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    london.cidade
    It's nearly always the pipes expanding, rather than the radiator itself.

If you want to, you can rip up all the floorboards, trace the pipes, and put something like felt in wherever a pipe might be rubbing, when it expands or contracts.

I just accept the ticking. It lets me know the central heating is working.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    Whilst we were decorating our new house and had no carpets, we took up a floorboard to locate a particularly noisy pipe. Never mind ticking, this sounds like a gun going off....... every morning. No chance of sleeping through it. Turned out the pipe was being held in place across a joist with a bent nail which was rubbing badly. Nail removed, pipe lagged with some felt, board replaced........... pipe drilled through........ plumber called........ freshly painted ceiling below ruined.........
    Originally posted by Slinky
    thank you, both your suggestions are useful to me and seem to be right. I also got a recommendation from a plumber which is inline with your recommendations, See below please.

expansion of either pipes feeding rad or rad itself expanding,pipes in floor going to rad may be squeezed by joists and as they heat and expand because they are tight they make the noise you describe ,or it could be the muck in your system has lodged in this rad,either way it is not dangerous .

I have a carpet installed around the pipes which goes into floorboard. I will take it out and check the pipes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

33Posts Today

3,760Users online

Martin's Twitter