Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheProfessional
    • By TheProfessional 11th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TheProfessional
    Main Equipotential Bonding
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    Main Equipotential Bonding 11th Feb 18 at 4:18 PM
    Hi,

We had a recent boiler service and whilst the boiler was given the all clear, we were handed a leaflet regarding Main Equipotential Bonding. Essentially something (gas main pipe?) isn't bonded to the electrical installation and means the system may not be earthed properly

Could someone give me an idea of what needs to be fixed and how much it would cost?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • malky39
    • By malky39 11th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    malky39
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    You need an electrician to run an earth cable from your consumer unit or main earth to within 600mm of the outlet of your gas meter. Cost will varie depending on distance and route.
    • TheProfessional
    • By TheProfessional 11th Feb 18, 5:07 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TheProfessional
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:07 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:07 PM
    Thank you. Hopefully it won't cost the earth. It is a Victorian terrace and the consumer unit is on the left of the bay window and the gas meter is outside on the right of the window.
    Is this something which is essential and urgent?
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 11th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 2,412 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    Is this something which is essential and urgent?
    Originally posted by TheProfessional
    My incoming gas supply doesn't have any earth bonding - It complied with the regulations that were in force when the gas pipe was put in. It is neither essential nor urgent. It is something that can wait until such time as you have a new boiler, extensive electrical work done, or have the floor up in that room.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 11th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 2,032 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    You may find that an electrician refuses to do any work on your house unless it's sorted as part of the job.

The cost is entirely dependent on how easy it is to run the cable.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 11th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    • 37,305 Posts
    • 157,155 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    I've had this as an advisory on a gas safety certificate. Still passed, just noted as a warning. The following year's certificate didn't have any advisory, so I guess it wasn't so important.
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 12th Feb 18, 12:30 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    Risteard
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:30 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:30 AM
    In spite of what some have suggested here lack of main protective bonding of extraneous conductive parts (which is not earthing - it is bonding) is an extremely serious defect and renders the electrical installation unsafe and must be rectified without delay.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,100Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin