Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tanyard
    • By tanyard 11th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 3Thanks
    tanyard
    hospital records
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    hospital records 11th Feb 18 at 4:04 PM
    anyone know if there is a legal length of time that hospitals must meet, when someone asks for a copy of their hospital records. thanks
Page 1
    • In For A Penny
    • By In For A Penny 11th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    In For A Penny
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    Not sure if it is in statute but the standard is 40 days upon receipt of appropriate fee (approx 50).
    • RikM
    • By RikM 11th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    RikM
    https://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.aspx?categoryid=68
    This suggests 40 days, but that it should be quicker...
    • In For A Penny
    • By In For A Penny 11th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    In For A Penny
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    You might find this useful (just one trust but covers important points)

http://www.setrust.hscni.net/pdf/Access_to_Records_leaflet_Jan_14.pdf

Note also there is a caveat, that a Trust can refuse if deemed not be in the patient's best interests (generally only in a mental health setting)
    • ChrisNI
    • By ChrisNI 13th Feb 18, 11:16 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    ChrisNI
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:16 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:16 AM
    You may also find this useful

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 13th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 4,584 Posts
    • 5,908 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    a Trust can refuse if deemed not be in the patient's best interests
    Originally posted by In For A Penny
    "Records will not be supplied if:
    Where disclosing the personal data would reveal information that had been provided by a third party with the clear expectation that it would never be passed on to the data subject
    Where having all or some of the information is not in the best psychiatric interests of the patient or member of staff
    ."

04086 Access to Health Records Policy
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • tanyard
    • By tanyard 13th Feb 18, 6:17 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tanyard
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:17 PM
    hospital records
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:17 PM
    thanks everyone for replies; I applied for hospital records on 18th nov, in writing and delivered by hand to appropriate dept. these were for relative who died suddenly in hospital and I am executor of will. mid Jan I received disks of previous old scans, not requested, and followed up with phone conversation that I was still awaiting copies of records covering 1 week stay in hospital in Oct, was told that record requests have to be signed off by consultant, and with Christmas and New Year there has been a delay. still received nothing. What is my next step. thanks
    • In For A Penny
    • By In For A Penny 13th Feb 18, 7:22 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    In For A Penny
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:22 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:22 PM
    thanks everyone for replies; I applied for hospital records on 18th nov, in writing and delivered by hand to appropriate dept. these were for relative who died suddenly in hospital and I am executor of will. mid Jan I received disks of previous old scans, not requested, and followed up with phone conversation that I was still awaiting copies of records covering 1 week stay in hospital in Oct, was told that record requests have to be signed off by consultant, and with Christmas and New Year there has been a delay. still received nothing. What is my next step. thanks
    Originally posted by tanyard
    Firstly, condolences for your loss.

I sense there are unanswered questions regarding your relatives death.

One option, if you have not already done so, might be to try and arrange a meeting with the consultant? A good consultant will be happy to have such a meeting and it might go a long way to addressing any concerns. At the very least it will help put the notes/results etc in context for when you do eventually receive them. He/she should provide some help in interpreting what otherwise may be an impenetrable and overwhelming set of test results.

With respect to the actual results, I am not sure why there is a delay unless there is some sort of internal review of what happened. I would imagine this is not uncommon in itself if a death has been unexpected.

A letter to the patient records office outlining the delay in processing your request might provide a more formal and informative response.
    • tanyard
    • By tanyard 14th Feb 18, 10:55 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tanyard
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:55 AM
    hospital records
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:55 AM
    the reason we have not asked to see Consultant is because within 1 hour of death, he asked to see us and said that if we had any questions he would see us at any day or time. obviously we had wanted to see the records before we would meet him to answer our questions. yes the death was very unexpected and we have phoned asking what the delay was, but that is now 1 month ago, and still nothing. yes I am going to have to write again, but would have thought that there was a reasonable time limit to supply the records, especially as we only wanted 1 weeks records. thank you for your help
    • ChrisNI
    • By ChrisNI 14th Feb 18, 2:41 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    ChrisNI
    You could also contact the Information Commissioner's office and ask them for advice or to investigate the delay. Or even just threaten to involve them to see if it helps move things along.

They are a public body who oversee the legislation relating to accessing and storing of personal information
    • marcus ohreallius
    • By marcus ohreallius 14th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    marcus ohreallius
    As above, involve someone higher up. The delay could be because they're very busy, or it could be for "other reasons". You have a right to know what happened. Sorry for your loss.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 15th Feb 18, 5:57 PM
    • 4,584 Posts
    • 5,908 Thanks
    jack_pott
    My records took between 14 and 46 days, not including the years I've spent trying to get documents they don't want me to see.

I see in this case that you delivered the request by hand and have already had it acknowledged, but in general you need to send requests by recorded delivery, otherwise they get ignored.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • lg_20187
    • By lg_20187 16th Feb 18, 9:58 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lg_20187
    Hi

I ordered my medical records in November 2017 and its now February and im still waiting on them, iv rang them 3 times to push it forward.

They said it was staff shortage over the christmas period. and it had to go through 5 different consultants and they were unsure who had them at present.

i am getting annoyed as i need them to determine a medical issue i am going through.

i think i will ring them again next week to find out more
    • steveymp
    • By steveymp 21st Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    steveymp
    Every Trust has an FOI (Freedom of Information) officer employed, if the records are of yourself contact them and from previous experience they have to respond within 14 days.

For complete copies of hospital records there may be a charge of around 50.
    I am trying, honest very trying according to my dear OH
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,127Posts Today

7,835Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin