Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • slipd
    • By slipd 11th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    • 160Posts
    • 16Thanks
    slipd
    Disposal of coolant
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    Disposal of coolant 11th Feb 18 at 3:47 PM
    Hey guys,

Changed my antifreeze today, and have just tried to dispose of the old, which incidently looked the same as the new, in an unmarked 5 litre container at my local tip, only to be told they can't take it unless it has a label... I'm 100% certain the last change I did, a couple of years back they were okay with it going in the oil, even helped me chuck the container if I recall? This time round though I was told I'd need to get in touch with the council for disposal...

Any ideas? I'm trying to be environmentally friendly at all that but at this rate it'll be going down the toilet! Some of the cleaning products I use have got more warnings on them than the antifreeze anyway.

Thoughts?
Page 1
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 11th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    Chuck it in the bin.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 11th Feb 18, 6:02 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 1,175 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:02 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:02 PM
    Chuck it in the bin.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    I'm trying to be environmentally friendly

Maybe try reading the OP?

OP call your Council and ask them what you should do with it.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 11th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    Changed my antifreeze today, and have just tried to dispose of the old, which incidently looked the same as the new, in an unmarked 5 litre container at my local tip, only to be told they can't take it unless it has a label...

Any ideas?
    Originally posted by slipd
    Put a label on it?
    • faddy
    • By faddy 11th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    faddy
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    Is it bad to put it down the loo? (Though not of course down a rainwater drain if that goes to a separate sewer).
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 11th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    I'm trying to be environmentally friendly

Maybe try reading the OP?

OP call your Council and ask them what you should do with it.
    Originally posted by treboeth
    Better than going down the toilet.
    • slipd
    • By slipd 11th Feb 18, 8:11 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    slipd
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:11 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:11 PM
    Thanks guys, spoke to a colleague who used to contract (Environmental) for the Council where I live and she said that the item would be treated as 'Special/Hazardous' and it would more than likely cost me. A lot!

Her advice? Toilet. She said that the bleach's/cleaners that we all stick down there are far more hazardous than old antifreeze... just make sure you give it a few extra flushes!

So there you have it, worth bearing in mind the next time that you change your coolant
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 11th Feb 18, 8:25 PM
    • 13,505 Posts
    • 8,574 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:25 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:25 PM
    I highly doubt it will cost at all, let alone a lot. Especially since all they want is a label.

Youve tried to do it the right way, id just toilet it now
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Feb 18, 9:26 PM
    • 2,711 Posts
    • 1,944 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:26 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:26 PM
    Thanks guys, spoke to a colleague who used to contract (Environmental) for the Council where I live and she said that the item would be treated as 'Special/Hazardous' and it would more than likely cost me. A lot!
    Much of the stuff that goes to the household waste site has special/hazardous contents. Car batteries, engine oil, mobile phone batteries, refrigerators, old TVs.....
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 12th Feb 18, 9:57 AM
    • 6,863 Posts
    • 5,601 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Add a label or write on it with a marker pen.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Feb 18, 11:32 AM
    • 6,863 Posts
    • 5,601 Thanks
    Norman Castle

Her advice? Toilet. She said that the bleach's/cleaners that we all stick down there are far more hazardous than old antifreeze... just make sure you give it a few extra flushes!

So there you have it, worth bearing in mind the next time that you change your coolant
    Highly unlikely water companies would agree with this advice. They accept that limited amounts of cleaning products will need to be removed from waste water but are unlikely to welcome the sewage system being used for chemical disposal. Try asking them.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th Feb 18, 12:29 PM
    • 5,891 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Write on the bottle with a sharpie pen - heck even draw on a few warning symbols for good measure.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,158Posts Today

8,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin