Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 11th Feb 18, 3:43 PM
    • 11,742Posts
    • 23,402Thanks
    worldtraveller
    0 WOW
    Tesco 'planning' new discount chain
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Tesco 'planning' new discount chain 11th Feb 18 at 3:43 PM
    Britain’s biggest supermarket group is understood to be working on a secret plan to develop a new discount grocery chain to take on cut-price chains Aldi and Lidl at their own game.

Tesco is said to be developing a separate brand that would match the German discounters on price, offering a far more limited range of products than the average Tesco store, at around 3,000 compared with 30,000 in a Tesco Extra.

The retailer is reported to have hired advisers from Boston Consulting Group to work on the plans. It has asked a number of key own-label suppliers to sign non-disclosure agreements before contributing to a new project, according to a report in The Sunday Times.

The Guardian
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
Page 2
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 16th Feb 18, 6:54 AM
    • 6,658 Posts
    • 19,539 Thanks
    Doc N
    If Tesco concentrated on utilising their floor staff better, their costs would drop dramatically! Im sick of going into my local tesco (which I tend to avoid more and more these days) and seeing several staff, often supervisors, stood around nattering. If this is happening in all of their stores then thats a huge cost to the company!

Lidl and Aldi at least keep their staff on the go!
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    Good point! And it applies to all the supermarkets apart from Aldi and Lidl. It staggers me how slow the checkout operators are in all supermarkets bar those two (quite apart from all the other staff) - and it's just one more reason to avoid them. It just takes too long!

Aldi and Lidl staff work much harder than the others - but they do get paid better and when you talk to them about it they seem actually to enjoy being kept busy.
    • pakokelso93
    • By pakokelso93 16th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    pakokelso93
    Hopefully it's not a return to those days as it was messy. The new Lidl stores are very good now, even with self-service tills.
    Originally posted by B_M
    Not sure that new Lidls are that great, They are all superficial. Self-service tills isn't a hooray really for the rest of it. It's all of the same stuff just more of it. Rather than loads of new lines etc.
    PK!
    • B_M
    • By B_M 16th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    B_M
    Not sure that new Lidls are that great, They are all superficial. Self-service tills isn't a hooray really for the rest of it. It's all of the same stuff just more of it. Rather than loads of new lines etc.
    Originally posted by pakokelso93
    I'm not a massive Lidl shopper, but their new stores, compared to what they were a few years back, are a massive improvement IMHO.
    The self-service tills are a Godsend for myself who only buys a few items.
    Lild and Aldi are decent enough for their continental stuff and some of the Lidl 'Deluxe' range is good and competitive.
    I think, and again, IMHO, the likes of Aldi and Lidl don't mess about with their prices as much. Yes, they move, but only by pence generally (apart from weekend type offers etc).
    I don't like to see the adverts comparing Lidl prices against branded items.
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company £550 in referral fees, win or lose.
    • pakokelso93
    • By pakokelso93 17th Feb 18, 1:06 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    pakokelso93
    I'm not a massive Lidl shopper, but their new stores, compared to what they were a few years back, are a massive improvement IMHO.
    The self-service tills are a Godsend for myself who only buys a few items.
    Lild and Aldi are decent enough for their continental stuff and some of the Lidl 'Deluxe' range is good and competitive.
    I think, and again, IMHO, the likes of Aldi and Lidl don't mess about with their prices as much. Yes, they move, but only by pence generally (apart from weekend type offers etc).
    I don't like to see the adverts comparing Lidl prices against branded items.
    Originally posted by B_M
    Self-service are great... However for them to be knocking down shops to rebuild bigger ones - It's a big superficial who-ha with nothing in the actual shop in terms of produce that's an improvement or different.
    PK!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 17th Feb 18, 1:08 PM
    • 3,810 Posts
    • 5,235 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I occasionally use the Lidl in Letchworth GC. It has self checkout. It is painfully slow. The response time to scanning each item is terrible. You literally have to wait after scanning each item before you can scan the next one.

And woe betide you if you need assistance if an item doesn't scan or you need approval, because the staff are usually somewhere else in the store.
    • B_M
    • By B_M 18th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    B_M
    I occasionally use the Lidl in Letchworth GC. It has self checkout. It is painfully slow. The response time to scanning each item is terrible. You literally have to wait after scanning each item before you can scan the next one.

And woe betide you if you need assistance if an item doesn't scan or you need approval, because the staff are usually somewhere else in the store.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Thankfully, my experiences don't mirror yours.
    I've used a Lidl self service till today and fantastic. I like the large barcodes on Lidl items, it really does help. Quick and in and out in no time.

Asking for assistance will well be a nuisance, but to be fair, the BIG 4 aren't fantastic IMHO at helping customers at self service tills.
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company £550 in referral fees, win or lose.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 26th Feb 18, 2:44 PM
    • 6,658 Posts
    • 19,539 Thanks
    Doc N
    From the Times a couple of days ago:

Tesco is working on a plan to launch a new discount grocery chain to take advantage of the growth in the market. The Times understands that the executive driving the idea is Lawrence Harvey, a former Aldi executive, who has dozens of people helping him to draw up a workable concept.

Mr Harvey spent more than eight years at Aldi. Sources said that Mr Harvey and his team had identified two locations — Immingham, in northeast Lincolnshire, and Chatteris, in Cambridgeshire — where the first trials of the new format could take place. Both areas have large Tesco stores that were built but then mothballed in 2014 when the group ran into trouble. They were never occupied.

When Tesco halted plans for the Immingham store, the town’s mayor called the decision a “disgrace”. Tesco has since secured planning permission to divide the unit into two, letting half to Home Bargains. It is thought that Tesco’s new fascia could occupy the remainder.

Similarly, last August Tesco secured planning permission from Fenland council to split in two the empty Chatteris store, with one unit occupied by Poundstretcher.

Tesco declined to comment.
    • paulhgc
    • By paulhgc 3rd Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    paulhgc
    The sector is not really that hard is it ? you get a smallish store and sell a restricted number of items that are of good quality but cheap

You then pay some one to scan there purchased items as quick as possible and make them chuck it all into trolley and take to the front of the shop to the bagging area to bag up while you move onto the next customer

All staff costs are kept to a minimum on my last visit i went to a till and was told it was closed so i moved over to another one and then i looked over and the till i was about to go on was now reopen i can only presume they was preparing this member of staff to start stacking

Dont get me wrong its good how they operate but it really is not hard to see how they keep the cost down
    • paulhgc
    • By paulhgc 3rd Mar 18, 10:26 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    paulhgc
    Isn't this what Iceland is doing with Food Warehouse?
    Originally posted by RHemmings
    I also visited one and this will be the next biggest failure the place was terrible and i landed up putting my basket down and walking out
    • paulhgc
    • By paulhgc 3rd Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    paulhgc
    Good point! And it applies to all the supermarkets apart from Aldi and Lidl. It staggers me how slow the checkout operators are in all supermarkets bar those two (quite apart from all the other staff) - and it's just one more reason to avoid them. It just takes too long!

Aldi and Lidl staff work much harder than the others - but they do get paid better and when you talk to them about it they seem actually to enjoy being kept busy.
    Originally posted by Doc N

I agree but after having your purchased products hurtled at you it in some way has a strange effect on you
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 3rd Mar 18, 10:37 PM
    • 6,658 Posts
    • 19,539 Thanks
    Doc N
    I agree but after having your purchased products hurtled at you it in some way has a strange effect on you
    Originally posted by paulhgc
    Not once you've become accustomed to it - I very much appreciate the speed of the process. Ordinary supermarkets have become annoyingly slow to the wife and me - we just want to get in, shop, out and away as quickly as possible.
    • paulhgc
    • By paulhgc 3rd Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    paulhgc
    Not once you've become accustomed to it - I very much appreciate the speed of the process. Ordinary supermarkets have become annoyingly slow to the wife and me - we just want to get in, shop, out and away as quickly as possible.
    Originally posted by Doc N

I somewhat agree and i am very new to the process i have only just discovered the bagging area ( i thought this was where they sold discount package holidays at 1st )

I still feel a major uk retailer could do a lot lot better if they was to fine tune a few things
    • paulhgc
    • By paulhgc 3rd Mar 18, 10:50 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    paulhgc
    lessco and interesting no domain http://www.lessco.com/
    • B'sKitchen
    • By B'sKitchen 4th Mar 18, 9:20 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    B'sKitchen
    The sector is not really that hard is it ? you get a smallish store and sell a restricted number of items that are of good quality but cheap

You then pay some one to scan there purchased items as quick as possible and make them chuck it all into trolley and take to the front of the shop to the bagging area to bag up while you move onto the next customer

All staff costs are kept to a minimum on my last visit i went to a till and was told it was closed so i moved over to another one and then i looked over and the till i was about to go on was now reopen i can only presume they was preparing this member of staff to start stacking

Dont get me wrong its good how they operate but it really is not hard to see how they keep the cost down
    There's video on YT where Lidl Store Manager explains why they can afford being so cheap. It's not a secret, it'a all about being smart with their labour. No shelving and small range means less time spend on stocking, fast checkout, larger customer turnover, sine people are not wandering around the store trying to pick one of 20 kinds of beans etc.

I think they would be more beneficial to everyone if they put more effort into educating people how to use their check out system though. They definitely need more signage over the counters explaining what they're for. It would stop people from being angry how they're groceries are handled and other from taking their sweet time arranging everything in their bags (you always get one of those in front of you! )

It'll be interesting to see what Tesco comes up with. Lidl/Aldi are cheaper, but being German, majority of their range is good quality (produce, chocolate, meat, wine, household products), definitely better quality in my opinion then some value stuff you get from other retailers.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 10,019 Posts
    • 9,894 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I think they would be more beneficial to everyone if they put more effort into educating people how to use their check out system though. They definitely need more signage over the counters explaining what they're for. It would stop people from being angry how they're groceries are handled and other from taking their sweet time arranging everything in their bags (you always get one of those in front of you! )
    Originally posted by B'sKitchen
    I think the lack of signage is deliberate. They know that some customers want to pack their bags at the checkout and they don't want to potentially lose them by telling them not to.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 4th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    • 3,810 Posts
    • 5,235 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Aldi and Lidl may cut costs, but they pay the staff well. And in the branches I go to, they still use manned checkouts, keeping jobs.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    • 31,652 Posts
    • 19,963 Thanks
    DCFC79
    We're getting a new Food Warehouse - I wondered what it was.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Imo its quite good, majority of the items sold are frozen but nothing different from the traditional Iceland store.

I also visited one and this will be the next biggest failure the place was terrible and i landed up putting my basket down and walking out
    Been to 1 a couple of times now, its fine, its a shame its where it is. Its always popular.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 11th Mar 18, 6:28 AM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 7,356 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Originally posted by pakokelso93
    We are moving next week and there is a big, new Lidl there with self service tills. This is brilliant because on many occasions I have bought just a few items and put them back because the queues at the tills were so long

I do like a choice in shopping though and get annoyed when I make a detailed list for a big shop eg 30 items and find Lidl only stock half of them. Sometimes even really everyday items like custard powder.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,083Posts Today

7,724Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin