Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MarionF1969
    • By MarionF1969 11th Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MarionF1969
    0 WOW
    Seat Reservations changed
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    0 WOW
    Seat Reservations changed 11th Feb 18 at 2:54 PM
    Hi. First time posting! I would like some advice please. I booked 8 premium seats on a flight with Norwegian Air from Gatwick to Los Angeles and carefully selected the seats. I received an email from NA saying the flight number had changed but the times were the same. When I printed off the travel documents I noticed that our original seat reservations hadn't been honoured and instead of 4 rows of 2 (as we are 4 pairs), we have 7 seats across and 1 on its own.

I have webchatted and phoned and been told there is nothing they can do! I have now emailed and asked for the original seat reservations to be reinstated.

I have looked at their website and can't find anything which says that NA can do this and that I could have been aware that this was a possibility.

Can anyone help with where I stand with regards to this issue and how far should I push for compensation, etc?

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 11th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    • 33,057 Posts
    • 38,625 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    Did you pay extra to select your seat ?
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 11th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    Airlines reserve the right to change seat reservations for operational reasons. Operational reasons can cover pretty much anything they want.

Has there been a change of aircraft?

You're entitled to a refund of the reservation fee paid, which in the premium cabin is nil.
    Last edited by BorisThomson; 11-02-2018 at 3:04 PM.
    • MarionF1969
    • By MarionF1969 11th Feb 18, 3:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MarionF1969
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:06 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:06 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. The seat reservations were included as we paid for premium seats. As far as I can gather there has been a change of aircraft but the seat layout is the same.

I suppose I just can't understand why they didn't migrate the seat reservations over to the different aircraft!
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 11th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 3,641 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    I suppose I just can't understand why they didn't migrate the seat reservations over to the different aircraft!
    Originally posted by MarionF1969
    Because the aircraft you'll travel on may have a different seat configuration to the one you booked on - even if the aircraft type shows the same - regular occurrence and certainly not worthy of any compo
    • MarionF1969
    • By MarionF1969 11th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MarionF1969
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    Having checked on the NA website to see what seats would be available to see if we could sit as we had originally booked, I could see that the seat configuration is exactly the same which is why I was surprised that our seat reservation wasn't honoured.

Thanks for the replies.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 11th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 1,965 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    Because they can't be bothered, we had the same with BA. I learned to regularly check the details online & move the seats back to where I wanted them.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 11th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 994 Thanks
    Westin
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    Was there a time lap between you receiving that notification from Norwegian and you going back on line to check?

I had a similar email last week telling me of a change of flight number and also on the email they said " Unfortunately, as a result of this, you may have lost your pre-assigned seats. You can follow the link below to check your reservation and to rebook the seats if needed." I went straight to check and luckily my Premium seat remained as before on both flight sectors. If you missed that and left it a while I guess other passengers may have grabbed those previously assigned seats.

I would say no compensation is due/likely - Premium includes a seat selection so you haven't paid extra.

You may just need to keep checking your booking on line to see if other seats free up. You can manage your booking on line.
    • MarionF1969
    • By MarionF1969 11th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MarionF1969
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    I was at work when the email came in and checked about a half hour later. I'm just upset and cross that having had those seats for 8 months and then lost them! I'll keep checking to see if anything comes up and wait and see what NA have to say in response to my email.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 12th Feb 18, 6:00 PM
    • 13,029 Posts
    • 11,058 Thanks
    zagfles
    Hi. First time posting! I would like some advice please. I booked 8 premium seats on a flight with Norwegian Air from Gatwick to Los Angeles and carefully selected the seats. I received an email from NA saying the flight number had changed but the times were the same. When I printed off the travel documents I noticed that our original seat reservations hadn't been honoured and instead of 4 rows of 2 (as we are 4 pairs), we have 7 seats across and 1 on its own.

I have webchatted and phoned and been told there is nothing they can do! I have now emailed and asked for the original seat reservations to be reinstated.

I have looked at their website and can't find anything which says that NA can do this and that I could have been aware that this was a possibility.
    You didn't look very hard. Airlines always have T&Cs stating they can change reserved seats.

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/booking/booking-information/legal/general-conditions-of-carriage/

6.4 Seat reservation

6.4.1 When you book a flight, you have the option to reserve a preferred seat. Depending on the applicable Fare Rules, a seat reservation may be considered an Optional Service and the applicable charge will apply. The current Rules and charges for seat reservations are available from us, on our Website or from our Authorised Agents. Such Rules and charges and may change.
    6.4.2 In special circumstances we may have to change your seat, even if it has been reserved in advance. If you do not make a seat reservation, we will assign you a seat on the day of departure.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

1,667Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin