Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CEON44
    • By CEON44 11th Feb 18, 2:16 PM
    • 245Posts
    • 105Thanks
    CEON44
    Wattage
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:16 PM
    Wattage 11th Feb 18 at 2:16 PM
    Anyone help with a lighting question. I have a couple of pendants in my kitchen with each using 3 bulbs. When I bought them a few years ago it was recommended to use maximum 40w bulbs. These were the standard bulbs but I now want to put LED energy saver bulbs in. Basically I would like brighter than the old 40w bulbs. So based on the old 40w limit how high can I go with LED. I am looking at some that are 11w but equal to 60w old money. Am I safe enough with these?
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left
Page 1
    • Ticked
    • By Ticked 11th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    Ticked
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    Perfectly safe. Depends on the light fitting, but the 40 watt limit was usually more to do with heat dissipation than overload considerations.
    • joefizz
    • By joefizz 11th Feb 18, 8:40 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    joefizz
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:40 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:40 PM
    Anyone help with a lighting question. I have a couple of pendants in my kitchen with each using 3 bulbs. When I bought them a few years ago it was recommended to use maximum 40w bulbs. These were the standard bulbs but I now want to put LED energy saver bulbs in. Basically I would like brighter than the old 40w bulbs. So based on the old 40w limit how high can I go with LED. I am looking at some that are 11w but equal to 60w old money. Am I safe enough with these?
    Originally posted by CEON44
    You might also need to look at the transformer if they are 12v lights.
    Most of the old halogen transformers had a minimum wattage and that could be 35, 40, 50 etc which means your 3 11 w lights wouldnt have enough load to get the transformer working properly.

I changed out all the transformers in mine they can be picked up cheaply enough and replaced by someone who knows what they are doing.
    It might just be better to replace the fitting if you cant change the transformer.

I replaced my 20w halogens with 4w leds in the kitchen, couldnt see a thing. Most of that had to do with getting older and writing on packets getting smaller (or at least I tell myself that).
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 11th Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 2,654 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    Go for led's with about 600+ lumins if you want it brighter than your old 40w.
    • CEON44
    • By CEON44 12th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    CEON44
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    Go for led's with about 600+ lumins if you want it brighter than your old 40w.
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    Yeah, I bought the ones I was looking at. They are 11w 950Lm They are really bright and perfect for the job. Thanks for all the advice
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,151Users online

Martin's Twitter