Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 11th Feb 18, 2:10 PM
    • 8,706Posts
    • 9,295Thanks
    pappa golf
    safeguard tariff cap
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:10 PM
    safeguard tariff cap 11th Feb 18 at 2:10 PM
    just spotted this , lots of offgem links but cant find basic info

I have prepaid meters and qualify for warm home grant , presently with SSE

with asking/applying assist me

I was with ebigo , alas the setting of max tarrif closed them down (as such) and I now find my duel fuel has rissen by 200 per year
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
Page 1
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 11th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 63,305 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    Have a look at

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/understand-your-gas-and-electricity-bills/energy-plans-what-energy-safeguard-tariff-or-price-cap
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 11th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,295 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    yes I had read that page or one similar , but could not find any numbers or figures

what IS the price per unit (elec) on SSE in northwest UK as a normal customer (pre pay) and a customer that is eligible for the above?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 11th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 63,305 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    Look on your supplier's website and look for the cost on the PPM meter - this should give you what the rates are.

If you cannot find that, lokk at the standard tariff, I think this will be slightly more but should give you some idea.

I cannot do it as I'm now on a phone and cannot do copy and paste for some reason.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 11th Feb 18, 6:32 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,295 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:32 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:32 PM
    ok I can go to sse website , and for electricity it is Unit Rate
    13.37p per KWH
    Standing Charge 27.43p per day

no PPM data on webpage

so the question is , can I apply for a lower rate/tariff using this company?
    Last edited by pappa golf; 11-02-2018 at 6:35 PM.
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • superkoopauk
    • By superkoopauk 12th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    superkoopauk
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    Hi pappa golf

According to the SSE website those rates are for PPM in the North West so are correct. The current cap levels for your area are the same as this (standing charge is slightly higher).

Note from 1st April the cap level will rise to

14.28p per kWh
    Standing Charge 30.41p per day

So you may see a price increase letter from SSE in the near future. However all suppliers are likely to follow suit. You might be better off considering a credit meter which would give you access to cheaper tariffs.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 12th Feb 18, 9:20 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,295 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:20 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:20 PM
    thanks , cannot have a credit meter at this location , I was annoyed at the loss of ebigo (no standing charge) , thank you government for sticking your nose in
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th Feb 18, 9:24 PM
    • 5,603 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:24 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:24 PM
    Other suppliers offer zero standing charge tariffs for consumers with pre-payment meters. This link might help:

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/11/how-to-avoid-paying-a-standing-charge-on-your-energy-bills/
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 12th Feb 18, 9:32 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,295 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:32 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:32 PM
    I think you will find that page is dated and out of date , the goverment (in its wisdom) set the max price of a unit , this came into force last september , previously companies like ebigo could add on a penny or so per unit , to equel out the standing charge , they cannot now

your link points to ebigo (amongst others) ,

must be udpated as ebigo now says Zero tariff is a variable deal from this not-for-profit supplier. It!!!8217;s not available to those with prepayment meters.

I know when I checked last august / sept non of the companies were doing a zero standing charge on pre pay

they cant , as the goverment has set the max price per unit
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 12th Feb 18, 9:43 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,295 Thanks
    pappa golf
    this is how much changes in goverment legislation , that were supposed to help actually did

Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,826Posts Today

7,896Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • After the news I'm suing facebook over scam ads, people keep sending me ads with my pic in asking, ?is THIS ad with? https://t.co/lhTmijgnWt

• So Facebook just waxed lyrical about all the things they're doing to stop fake ads. Whoop de whoop. Yet THESE SCA? https://t.co/hP4q6kRuuQ

• Facebook giving evidence I believe just said "mr lewis said there are 50 ads, but we checked and found 1,000s".? https://t.co/4dAe8PCTCb

• Follow Martin