Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alan Cross
    • By Alan Cross 11th Feb 18, 12:37 PM
    • 1,134Posts
    • 1,130Thanks
    Alan Cross
    0 WOW
    Barnstaple area visiting suggestions, anyone?
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:37 PM
    0 WOW
    Barnstaple area visiting suggestions, anyone? 11th Feb 18 at 12:37 PM
    Have thrown a dart at the map and we're off to Barnstaple in a couple of weeks for a weekend break.

We're totally unfamiliar with the area but would appreciate any suggestions for places of interest to visit, particularly indoorsy-type venues given possible end-Feb weather!

A couple in 60's, no kids (thank God!).

Any ideas, very grateful.
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 12,151 Posts
    • 8,225 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    It's not a usual 'weekend break' destination but I'm sure you'll have a good time.

What to do....if you like walking the Heddon Valley is beautiful. There is an out of town shopping area Atlantic Highway (which is not worth venturing to on it's own but fine as a stop by/on the way type venue). Clovelly isn't far away and is worth a visit. The estuary is pretty and the old castle (Castle Mound) are pretty much the only landmarks I can think of. The town itself has a good range of shops and anywhere with water (sea/river/canal) lends itself to some pleasant time killing.

If you aren't tied to the destination, there are prettier/better/much more interesting places in Devon/North Cornwall to visit.
    • Alan Cross
    • By Alan Cross 11th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Alan Cross
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    It's not a usual 'weekend break' destination but I'm sure you'll have a good time.

What to do....if you like walking the Heddon Valley is beautiful. There is an out of town shopping area Atlantic Highway (which is not worth venturing to on it's own but fine as a stop by/on the way type venue). Clovelly isn't far away and is worth a visit. The estuary is pretty and the old castle (Castle Mound) are pretty much the only landmarks I can think of. The town itself has a good range of shops and anywhere with water (sea/river/canal) lends itself to some pleasant time killing.

If you aren't tied to the destination, there are prettier/better/much more interesting places in Devon/North Cornwall to visit.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    It's more as a base for operations. I'm aware that driving another hour would get us to better scenery but the journey will already have been a long one and this is only for a couple of days.
    • Castle
    • By Castle 11th Feb 18, 4:49 PM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 2,300 Thanks
    Castle
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:49 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:49 PM
    About a 15 minute drive:-
    https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/arlington-court-and-the-national-trust-carriage-museum
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 11th Feb 18, 5:41 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 7,355 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:41 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:41 PM

Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Agree with this. Barnstaple itself is not very exciting/touristy, we go there for shopping, petrol etc. Bideford, just down the road, is more interesting. If it rains, the shopping village, just outside Bideford is called Atlantic Village and has a few outlet shops.

Clovelly is nice but you have to be fit to walk down the Main Street. You can get a land rover back up but I don’t think it runs this time of year. If you fancy going a bit further then Tintagel is great.

If you go north from Barnstaple the coast is lovely, places like Croyde and Woolacombe. Directly East takes you to Exmoor which is lovely to drive across if it doesn’t rain. It’s less bleak than Dartmoor and a bit quieter.

Unfortunately it has been a bit wet down here recently. Bring raincoats and umbrella, you never know, the sun may shine.

Have a lovely time
    • Alan Cross
    • By Alan Cross 11th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Alan Cross
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    Many thanks for the various thoughts.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 13th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 10,390 Posts
    • 13,085 Thanks
    vikingaero
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    You're not a million miles from Porlock Weir or Lynmouth and the Cliff Railway.

Last time we were in that direction we had a fantastic time exploring the Hartland area that we missed out on Clovelly. As we had membership it was a nice drive down to Tintagel Castle.
    The man without a signature.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 15th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 4,717 Posts
    • 1,753 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 15th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    Boscastle is worth a visit, the Church of St Julitta was restored by Thomas Hardy he stayed in the Rectory and he met and married his wife, the Rectors daughter whilst there. The Rectory is still in the same family and is a very nice B&B. They have lots of Hardy memorabilia.
    Last edited by knightstyle; 15-02-2018 at 7:18 PM. Reason: Add a bit.
    • 166million
    • By 166million 15th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 5,060 Thanks
    166million
    • 15th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    I like Great Torrington
    A few museums etc in the vicinity
    Traffic can get quite bad around Barnstaple ( might have improved since I went last)
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Feb 18, 7:16 PM
    • 12,151 Posts
    • 8,225 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Boscastle is worth a visit, the Church of St Julitta was restored by Thomas Hardy and he met and married his wife, the Rectors daughter whilst there.
    Originally posted by knightstyle
    Tis a good drive - maybe 90 minutes....
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 15th Feb 18, 8:10 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 7,355 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I like Great Torrington
    A few museums etc in the vicinity
    Traffic can get quite bad around Barnstaple ( might have improved since I went last)
    Originally posted by 166million
    Probably not
    • judy2357
    • By judy2357 16th Feb 18, 12:08 AM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 24,024 Thanks
    judy2357
    Have thrown a dart at the map and we're off to Barnstaple in a couple of weeks for a weekend break.

We're totally unfamiliar with the area but would appreciate any suggestions for places of interest to visit, particularly indoorsy-type venues given possible end-Feb weather!

A couple in 60's, no kids (thank God!).

Any ideas, very grateful.
    Originally posted by Alan Cross
    Minehead, Ilfracombe, Lynton and Lynmouth. My favourite is Torbay, a little further away but worth the trip, Torquay, Paignton, Goodrington and Brixham. We live in Cornwall but regularly visit Torbay, theres also Cockington, Babbacombe oh an the caves at Kents Cavern, so much to see in that area.
    2008£3002009£13002010£15002011£41952012£21942013£1494
    2014£24402015£10222016JAN£20FEB£210MAR£80APR£26tMAYWillowPouchBag£65BathPillowCrCardcover,Curry
    JUN£10m'shakeJULpennywellAUGCameraFootproducts£27SEPMiniBBQOCTB'let£45Jarm£4Jacket£80GoodyBag£40NOVmealfor2Ace,ScarfTotes£100DECChocs,AsterixDVD,DVD&bk

• theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 16th Feb 18, 6:45 AM
    • 12,151 Posts
    • 8,225 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Minehead, Ilfracombe, Lynton and Lynmouth. My favourite is Torbay, a little further away but worth the trip, Torquay, Paignton, Goodrington and Brixham. We live in Cornwall but regularly visit Torbay, theres also Cockington, Babbacombe oh an the caves at Kents Cavern, so much to see in that area.
    Originally posted by judy2357
    "a little further".....Barnstaple to Brixham is a two hour drive on a good day, 4 hours in the car on a round trip.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 16th Feb 18, 8:19 AM
    • 10,390 Posts
    • 13,085 Thanks
    vikingaero
    particularly indoorsy-type venues given possible end-Feb weather!
    Originally posted by Alan Cross
    1hr 30mins from you is Trago Mills in Newton Abbott.

A 2 hours drive each way isn't a biggie when you're on holiday. If you're an early riser, then most places don't open until 10am which gives plenty of time for breakfast and a nice drive. Plus you will be on holiday so unlikely to have work the next day.
    The man without a signature.
    • colcheslad
    • By colcheslad 16th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    colcheslad
    If you want indoors there's the Eden Project, I reckon about 1hr 40mins if you don't mind the drive - rather nice in the colder months as you can enjoy the tropical heat inside!
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 17th Feb 18, 4:23 AM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 7,355 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Hi OP

I hope all these suggestions are helpful, let us know how you get on.

Another helpful tip. If you are driving down the M5, Sainsbury's at Junction 25 (Taunton) is selling petrol at a staggering 27 p a litre less than the motorway.
    • Taplledraw
    • By Taplledraw 20th Feb 18, 12:13 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Taplledraw
    Near Woolacombe is a lovely little beach made up of shells and if you carry on out to Morthoe there is a small but lovely museum there the church is also worth a look around, check opening times before you go. In Barnstaple there is a bookshop on the corner by the big bridge its run for Charity and is worth a look round if you are book inclined. They also have a museum in the square which is good. The pannier market has different things in it on different days I liked the herb man!
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 26th Feb 18, 2:16 AM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 7,355 Thanks
    Murphybear

Last time we were in that direction we had a fantastic time exploring the Hartland area that we missed out on Clovelly. As we had membership it was a nice drive down to Tintagel Castle.
    Originally posted by vikingaero
    We went to Tintagel today. It was a bit disappointing. Apart from the castle which you need to be super fit for, there was nothing much to do. Most of the shops were closed and there were only 2 cafes open.

To add insult to injury, you had to pay 20p to use the loo

We went to Boscastle instead which is one of my favourite places and the weather was glorious
    Last edited by Murphybear; 26-02-2018 at 2:19 AM.
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 26th Feb 18, 10:26 PM
    • 3,135 Posts
    • 4,824 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    The quaint village of Appledore is worth a visit if the sun shines. You also may be interested in a visit to Dartington Glass in Torrington https://www.dartington.co.uk/visit-us/visitor-centre.
    Originally posted by MrAPJI
    The Appledore musuem and schoolhouse is a must if you visit the village.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 26th Feb 18, 10:32 PM
    • 3,135 Posts
    • 4,824 Thanks
    sillyvixen

Originally posted by vikingaero
    Linton and lynmouth is a good day out .. I had been before as a child .. hubby never been before .. we both loved it, the cliff railway is a boon take it both ways or walk down and take it up.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,189Posts Today

7,920Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin