Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jimmy_Boy
    • By Jimmy_Boy 11th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Jimmy_Boy
    Noisy Neighbour - Not sure what to do next
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    Noisy Neighbour - Not sure what to do next 11th Feb 18 at 12:16 PM
    Hi,

This is a long story that has spanned approximately 3+ years now. I have had an ongoing issue with my upstairs neighbours noise. The main issue is the impact noises I can hear, which are primarily from heavy walking. The sounds go on throughout the night and this makes it hard for me to sleep.

I have had sound recording equipment installed by the council, and they deem it to be 'day to day living noise'. The council have suggested using 'The Noise App' to record the sounds again, but if this provides no evidence then the case will be closed.

My concern is, 'The Noise App' does not record impact sounds, therefore does not accurately represent what I am actually hearing. I made a short video to hopefully demonstrate the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUBE8XW-stA

Also, a recording of other sounds recorded over a short period of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUBE8XW-stA

Ultimately, I don't think the council will offer any more help, and I am unsure of what steps I can take next.

Any advice welcomed.

You can read more about all the details, as to what I and the council have done, here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5792297
Page 4
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 6,863 Posts
    • 5,601 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Thanks.

I have expressed these concerns to her in the past, as well as other's such as doctor signing me off work, being prescribed anti-depressants, sleeping away at friends and sleeping in my works van, sore ears and hearing being affected by wearing headphones every night for the past 18+ months. She said "I know it's affecting you, I can hear it in your voice, but theres nothing I can do."

I've recently had endless nights of disturbed sleep due to a clueless neighbour. It does affect you in many ways.
    Originally posted by Jimmy_Boy
    As you are on talking terms with these neighbours try talking to them. Write down how this has affected you and what you have done as described above. You need to have an extended conversation with them about this explaining that you need this to change.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 13-02-2018 at 3:41 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 6,863 Posts
    • 5,601 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    They certainly can take action, and so can the council (in this case the LL too), but there are quite clear policies on what is and is not anti social noise. It appears in this case the LL (council) agree with their tenant.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    So they cannot take action against normal noise which is what I said.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Feb 18, 3:45 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,936 Thanks
    Comms69
    So they cannot take action against normal noise which is what I said.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle

Well a non-council landlord can just evict using s.21 - which is what I meant. But yes, that's correct - I didn't read it that way, so apologies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,357Users online

Martin's Twitter