Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jimmy_Boy
    • By Jimmy_Boy 11th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Jimmy_Boy
    Noisy Neighbour - Not sure what to do next
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    Noisy Neighbour - Not sure what to do next 11th Feb 18 at 12:16 PM
    Hi,

This is a long story that has spanned approximately 3+ years now. I have had an ongoing issue with my upstairs neighbours noise. The main issue is the impact noises I can hear, which are primarily from heavy walking. The sounds go on throughout the night and this makes it hard for me to sleep.

I have had sound recording equipment installed by the council, and they deem it to be 'day to day living noise'. The council have suggested using 'The Noise App' to record the sounds again, but if this provides no evidence then the case will be closed.

My concern is, 'The Noise App' does not record impact sounds, therefore does not accurately represent what I am actually hearing. I made a short video to hopefully demonstrate the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUBE8XW-stA

Also, a recording of other sounds recorded over a short period of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUBE8XW-stA

Ultimately, I don't think the council will offer any more help, and I am unsure of what steps I can take next.

Any advice welcomed.

You can read more about all the details, as to what I and the council have done, here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5792297
Page 1
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 11th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    My thoughts:

You've become highly sensitive to the situation, righty so, just saying, people dont consider the psychology angle, your brain tunes in and a bad situation can become magnified.

Sleep is important, if nothing can be done i'd just move if its possible. Mean time wear ear defenders when possible.
    • Jimmy_Boy
    • By Jimmy_Boy 11th Feb 18, 12:42 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Jimmy_Boy
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:42 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:42 PM
    Thanks.

100% agree that I am highly sensitive to the situation. I have tried ear plugs but they did not work for me. The only thing I have found to work is wearing over-ear headphones and playing white noise, however this is now hurting my ears.

I can't realistically move as I have purchased my property with 'The Right To Buy', meaning I would have to pay somewhere in the region of 40,000 of the discount back if I wanted to sell now - money I just don't have.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 11th Feb 18, 12:44 PM
    • 11,403 Posts
    • 13,289 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:44 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:44 PM
    Looking at your previous thread I see that you now own your flat.

You talk about your 'tenancy agreement'. I presume your flat is leasehold and the conditions about requiring carpets is part of your lease agreement.

So, what are the circumstances of your neighbours? Do they own the flat or are they tenants?

If they own the flat then presumably they are leaseholders like your self.

If they are breaking the terms of their lease then you need to contact the freeholder and make a complaint.

If they rent then you need to contact their landlord as he/she would also be in breach of their lease.
    • Jimmy_Boy
    • By Jimmy_Boy 11th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Jimmy_Boy
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    They rent from the same council that I purchased the property from, and also the same council that I have complained to.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 11th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    • 6,117 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    eddddy
    If the 'impact noise' isn't being recorded, I'd suspect it was the phone that's the issue rather than the app.

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if the phone was designed to try to only pick up sound in the speech sound spectrum - and ignore deep 'thudding' noises (or high pitch noises), to make speech phone calls clearer.

I'm not quite sure what your video is meant to be showing, but if you have another device that is correctly recording the sound, why don't you use that for evidence.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 11th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    • 11,928 Posts
    • 16,793 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    As suggested above find out if the neighbours upstairs are breaking the terms of their lease/tenancy agreement by having unsuitable flooring such as laminate rather than carpeting. If it turns out the flooring is not a problem and the council say that the noises you are hearing are just day to day living noises then you could look at ways to improve the soundproofing between your home and theirs.

I see from a previous thread that you only purchased your home recently (2017) and according to this thread you've been experiencing the noise for 3+ years. Honestly, I've endured noisy neighbours and nothing would have made me go from being a tenant to an owner-occupier whilst living next to them.
    • Jimmy_Boy
    • By Jimmy_Boy 11th Feb 18, 12:55 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Jimmy_Boy
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:55 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:55 PM
    If the 'impact noise' isn't being recorded, I'd suspect it was the phone that's the issue rather than the app.

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if the phone was designed to try to only pick up sound in the speech sound spectrum - and ignore deep 'thudding' noises (or high pitch noises), to make speech phone calls clearer.

I'm not quite sure what your video is meant to be showing, but if you have another device that is correctly recording the sound, why don't you use that for evidence.
    Originally posted by eddddy
    What I am trying to demonstrate in the video is... When I recreate an 'impact' sound by hitting my wall, you can see the app on the right which is monitoring SPL levels, shows that it is detecting SPL up to 70db - when in the room you can clearly hear a deep thud, however 'The Noise App' records nothing, and this is the app the council want you to use to record evidence of noise nuisance. The point being what is being recorded as 'evidence' by The Noise App is not actually representing in any way the impact sounds that you actually hear.

Essentially, I potentially record the noises I am hearing, submit them to the council and they don't hear anything, in turn saying there is no noise.

Hope that makes sense.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    • 4,099 Posts
    • 5,733 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    The only final solution to this is going to be sell the flat. Yes you will have to pay back the discount but that should be "cheap" next to damaging your health. You really can't buy your health.
    • Jimmy_Boy
    • By Jimmy_Boy 11th Feb 18, 1:00 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Jimmy_Boy
    I see from a previous thread that you only purchased your home recently (2017) and according to this thread you've been experiencing the noise for 3+ years. Honestly, I've endured noisy neighbours and nothing would have made me go from being a tenant to an owner-occupier whilst living next to them.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    There is also a long back story to this, and ultimately I am regretting the decision.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 11th Feb 18, 1:00 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    Can you rent out the flat ?
    • Jimmy_Boy
    • By Jimmy_Boy 11th Feb 18, 1:06 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Jimmy_Boy
    Can you rent out the flat ?
    Originally posted by PokerPlayer111
    Its a thought I've had, but can't do that under my current mortgage agreement. Could remortgage for terms that allow me to rent, but then who moves in aren't going to stay because of the noise (I would guess)
    Last edited by Jimmy_Boy; 11-02-2018 at 1:21 PM.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 11th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    Its a thought I've had, but can't do that under my current mortgage agreement. Could remortgage to for terms that allow me to rent, but then who moves in aren't going to stay because of the noise (I would guess)
    Originally posted by Jimmy_Boy
    They might work nights, who knows, but if tenant has problems what you could do then is complain direct to the person above as the landlord saying you are making noise upsetting my tenant. Then you dont have to live in the situation if any backlash. idk just ideas, good luck.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 11th Feb 18, 1:21 PM
    • 11,403 Posts
    • 13,289 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    I suggest that you join up to this website as, from a quick look, they have an active forum and some articles relating to recording noise.

https://www.nfh.org.uk/forums/

This is a bugbear of mine since the answer is so simple - the council should insist that they put down carpeting. There must be a clause in your neighbours' tenancy agreement about noise but I understand that they are saying you have no proof.

Good luck!
    • Jimmy_Boy
    • By Jimmy_Boy 11th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Jimmy_Boy
    The link to sign up to that site has broken
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 11th Feb 18, 2:33 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 3,095 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    Thanks.

100% agree that I am highly sensitive to the situation. I have tried ear plugs but they did not work for me. The only thing I have found to work is wearing over-ear headphones and playing white noise, however this is now hurting my ears.

I can't realistically move as I have purchased my property with 'The Right To Buy', meaning I would have to pay somewhere in the region of 40,000 of the discount back if I wanted to sell now - money I just don't have.
    Has your house lost value significantly? If so you're not going to be losing anything, you'll just be put back to the position you were in before you purchased (minus related costs).
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 11th Feb 18, 3:24 PM
    • 6,848 Posts
    • 5,594 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    The only thing I have found to work is wearing over-ear headphones and playing white noise, however this is now hurting my ears.
    Try foam ear plugs and buzzing white noise through speakers in the room. You will still hear the noise but it should obscure other noises. Try an AM radio and searching for different noises. Its not ideal but taking control of what you hear can be a big improvement.
    You will have to turn the speakers up but thats not your problem. A problem shared is a problem halved.

Phones and many simple recorders do not have sensitive enough microphones to record noise nuisance. Its a pity your council do not understand this.

As you now own the property fitting a soundproofed floating ceiling may be a good investment or paying for good underlay and carpet for the flat above and if possible insulating the void between floor and ceiling.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 11-02-2018 at 3:33 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Jimmy_Boy
    • By Jimmy_Boy 11th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Jimmy_Boy
    As you now own the property fitting a soundproofed floating ceiling may be a good investment or paying for good underlay and carpet for the flat above and if possible insulating the void between floor and ceiling.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    I state this in my thread that details events. I offered to buy them carpet, underlay and have it fitted my own expense, but they refused. The council offered rugs which they agreed to, then on the day of delivery they changed thier mind saying they didnt want them.

I also mention that I contacted the council saying that I think sound proofing inside is my last option and asked if they had any other suggestions. They suggested using The Noise App, and also stated that I would need to be granted permission to install soundproofing and it may be declined.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 11th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    • 11,928 Posts
    • 16,793 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    May be declined not that it shall be declined. Even if the council (freeholder) did decline your application I would argue that it's down to their tenants you're considering soundproofing in the first place. If that failed I would go ahead and do it anyway. It would really only become an issue when you go to sell the place one day and even then you could probably get some indemnity insurance to cover the soundproofing work.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 11th Feb 18, 5:18 PM
    • 11,403 Posts
    • 13,289 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    The link to sign up to that site has broken
    Sorry about that - have googled but can't find any information as to why it isn't working.

This is What the CAB website says about anti social behaviour:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/problems-where-you-live/anti-social-behaviour-in-housing/#Taking_action_yourself

There might be a few suggestions there, especially mediation (a third party/not a council representative)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,282Posts Today

5,783Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin