Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • donnaf30
    • By donnaf30 11th Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    donnaf30
    Job change after 6 months
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    Job change after 6 months 11th Feb 18 at 11:29 AM
    Hello
    Last year I gor made redundant after 25 years , I managed to get a job almost straight away however the current job has not turned out to be what I was expecting
    It a Managed Service Provider (MSP) in ICT Industry and bascially a hugh call centre , where every job is timed and it's a bit of a nightmare with a huge staff turnover
    I have been offered another job for slightly more money +3K but commute is 60 mile round trip rather than current 30 miles ( large IT Company )
    The commute is a bit of a turn off , but I am thinking of taking a chance
    I'm almost 50 so was hoping to stay in a job for longer ...
    Any thoughts welcome
    Thanks Donna
Page 1
    • StevenB12
    • By StevenB12 11th Feb 18, 11:45 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    StevenB12
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:45 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:45 AM
    There's nothing wrong with changing jobs after a short time. I've gone through a bit of a phase recently where I'm now starting a new job next month, which will be my 3rd job in 2 years now. Left all due to just wanting to branch out and try something new basically, and obviously money also played a part and conditions.

The 60 mile round trip will definitely get to you in my opinion, it can become a chore just to get to work. My current job for the first 3 months was a 45 mile round trip to a site I was working on, costing nearly 210 a month in fuel, which is also one of the reasons I am now moving on to something else.

There's always going to be a risk involved with any job you take, as you probably found out with your current one, and there's nothing wrong in leaving your current one, to a new one, and then continuing to look. If you are put off by the travel already then you may want to look for something closer. I'm not sure what roads you will be taking to get there but if the traffic is anything like what it is here in the mornings, then you need to factor in you will probably have to get up, get ready and leave a good 1-2 hours early just to get to work on time.

Again keep in mind that extra money you make, will also be going on the extra fuel.
    Last edited by StevenB12; 11-02-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 11th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Ja7188
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    Firstly, don't worry about leaving your new role after only 6 months - looking back, perhaps you wish you'd taken a bit of time off and looked for the right role, but you and everyone else are allowed one or two wrong moves on your CV.

You don't mention what you actually do, but depending on your job it's probably worth asking whether you can work from home some of the time. Unless it's all 70mph roads, 30 miles each way every day is probably a bit much...

In your shoes I definitely wouldn't rush any decisions - after 25 years, I imagine that you got quite a decent redundancy payment. Have you considered temping in-between interviews etc...? That way you can keep some money coming in (and not have too much time on your hands!) between interviews...
    • donnaf30
    • By donnaf30 11th Feb 18, 1:15 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    donnaf30
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:15 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:15 PM
    Hello
    Yep financially not stretched for 12 months if don't work
    I was planning to take some time off however got bored and got first job I applied for
    Driver is finding a job environment / work I enjoy and current job is neither
    I have passed the probation period successfully , so would probably leave job on CV and just quote a MSP was not a good fit
    I work in ICT 2/3 rd line support
    New commute would be 2/3 motorway & 1/3 a roads
    Travel by motorbike so can filter through traffic
    No work from home already asked
    Regards Donna
    Last edited by donnaf30; 11-02-2018 at 1:18 PM.
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 11th Feb 18, 5:57 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Ja7188
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:57 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:57 PM
    Probably worth taking it in my view - 30 miles each way on fast roads isn't too bad - plus a big organisation should have scope for career progression...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,625Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter