Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • grandmasam
    • By grandmasam 11th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 532Posts
    • 5,589Thanks
    grandmasam
    Skype problem!!
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    Skype problem!! 11th Feb 18 at 9:42 AM
    Hi, i'm hoping someone can advise/help.
    I have a Mac Pro and been using Skype on this for a few years with no problem...got a message from son in Germany saying he had updated to latest version and to update mine.
    Skype is now owned [?] by Microsoft and I had to open a new account with them, consequently I have been unable to connect to Skype.
    I've deleted the previous download and reinstalled version 7.58.501 which worked before, but now am being told that I have 3! Skype accounts...and none of them will connect to Skype to enable me to talk to family.

Son in Germany , using Windows on PC, has deleted his update and reinstalled version 7.
    Hope someone can help...
    Thanks
    Caz
    Saving for another hound
    from Sue-UU
    SPC no 031 SPC 9 1211, SPC 8 1027 SPC 7 937.24, SPC 6 973.4 SPC 5 1949, SPC 4 904.67 SPC 4 980.27
Page 1
    • cajef
    • By cajef 11th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 3,763 Thanks
    cajef
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    We are having similar problems, new computer with Windows 10 and latest version of Skype, OH tried to talk with one of her friends, our Skype showing us as being online and is ringing out friend says nothing at their end and we appear as being offline on her computer.
    Last edited by cajef; 11-02-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 11th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • 2,465 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    I had this problem about a month ago, I only Skype with my brother in Canada.

I was getting he was online and available but when I tried to contact him never answering. Then he emailed me saying he could not get me after an update as it kept insisting a problem with Skype in the UK. So it was shown to each of us the other was available but no calls going through to each other. I actually phoned him normal house phone but I get Canada for 1p a minute. So both of us tried Skyping knowing we were both online at that time. Skype insisted no we were not.

Whilst on the phone to him I live chatted with Skype and the woman tried a few things and in the end uninstalled my Skype and told my brother to do the same as the exact same time. Then sign in again and we both were able to Skype with each other.

Now there had been a problem with Skype UK which only lasted a few hours but it kept telling my brother it was still going on two weeks later.
    • grandmasam
    • By grandmasam 11th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 5,589 Thanks
    grandmasam
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    Thank you for your replies.
    I have exactly the same. So far have uninstalled [ yet again!] updated osx and reinstalled.
    Still says unable to connect to Skype think I'll try again tomorrow.
    Caz
    Saving for another hound
    from Sue-UU
    SPC no 031 SPC 9 1211, SPC 8 1027 SPC 7 937.24, SPC 6 973.4 SPC 5 1949, SPC 4 904.67 SPC 4 980.27
    • islandman
    • By islandman 12th Feb 18, 10:38 AM
    • 4,181 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    islandman
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:38 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:38 AM
    There are umpteen other opportunities to make/receive video calls, Messenger being my choice, simply because Skype gave a few issues.

Facetime is limited to ios systems as you know.

Take a look at:-
    Facebook Messenger
    Google Duo
    What's app messenger
    Google Hangouts
    Viber
    Line
    Bowel screening saved my life, make sure it saves yours.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    • 4,259 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    As regards Skype ... even though I have Windows 10 I use the downloadable version that you install rather than the Windows Store version ... the WS version is rubbish (IMHO).

I recently had a problem with Skype not showing my status (it showed the swirly "refreshing" symbol), but a logout/login soon fixed that.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,011Posts Today

8,330Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm retweeting this so people can judge my 'non-apology' for themselves. Yet I am gen? https://t.co/ALnjaDtZcm

• I don't shush women. But did wrongly shush a woman, u, not due to gender, but as u patronisingly offered me an unpa? https://t.co/jCYTb7aFYt

• Harassing people who are hospitalised for mental health issues helps no one. Giving breathing space to put finance? https://t.co/L02RzMDoEs

• Follow Martin